Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #21
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
Don't know how much you plan to boondock....we have the propane Onan 5500 installed in the forward basement compartment. It's quiet, clean, always starts and we can start/stop it from a switch in the bedroom closet. It does, however, like propane. I carry 2 replacement 30# bottles in the bed of the TV just in case. We run the generator "as needed" to charge the batteries, watch tv,internet, etc and usually shut it off when not needed..has worked out well. It has been great for those times when local power is out, Wal-mart parking lots, Mama wants to use the microwave at a rest stop. I don't recommend propane if you are going to live in the boonies for an extended time, tho.

-Dave

dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don and Bonnie. Have you given any thought to buying 2 Honda 2000's and the parallel kit?. These are much lighter than the 3000 and you can use one or both depending on need. I started one at a Honda dealer and was suprised at the low sound level. Being only 46 lbs each they would be much easier to handle. They are gas operated, as you know, so fuel supply would never be a problem. Two 5 gal jugs of gas would probably be much easier to carry than a bunch of propane. AND gas is CHEAPER than diesel. So, there you go. This is my plan anyway.

As an aside. My sister and brother in law, have been rv'ing for over eight years and claim to have never needed a gen. Of course, they don't boondock either. I think they are missing a lot.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #23
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I just put 2 Honda 2000's w/parallel kit in the front compartment. Leave the door open when running them. Quiet. Hardly hear them in he coach.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don and Bonnie, we are very Blessed to have two Generators. We have had two Tool-Box Generators 30 amp and now the 50 amp. We had the made in Arizona. They both were the in-bed mounted system. They are remote control. And run on Gasoline, We don't travel with the Tool-Box generator now. But it is use here at our home base, it is a very nice system and work great. We are in the process of getting a storm shelter and we will power it with the Tool-box generator.

We also have the Onan 5500LP and its in the front compartment of our Cambridge. Its does a Superb job, when traveling you can have the coach cool or warm when you get ready to stop for a rest or eat. And they both are fully automatic, it will shut down if the oil is low or if the system over heats. I for sure didn't like the idea of loading or unloading the other type Generators. We do no boondocking unless you call a Truck Stop for a few hours of sleep of rest..... Good Luck..... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Delaine and Lindy As you probably have read, I am new to this game and trying to decide about generators. My sister has been 5th wheeling for about 8 years and have never boondocked, hence they have NO generator. Without sounding facetious, why would I need a generator if I don't boondock?

Thanks, just trying to do what's best for my rig and lifestyle......
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #26
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
It depends on your life style.For us we use it when we spend the night in a truck stop or Walmart parking lot. We also use it to cool down the unit before we stop for lunch or a camp ground in the afternoon. I have a remote start on it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #27
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Maybe I don't know anything about carbon monoxide but there are implications in these posts that a propane Onan gen is ok in a trailer but a gas fired Honda (or other make) is not. Isn't CO a product of combustion regardless of the fuel?

If so, then a gas gen would be the same as a propane fired gen as long as the exhaust is properly vented and the generator cooled adequately.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #28
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Our current thinking is to get a price on the Onan factory installed generator. We like the idea of having something that will power the entire rig and can be fired up remotely. We don't like the rate that it consumes propane. Since we already own the EU3000, we may keep it in the truck, much like Delaine and Lindy described above. Then when we are nearby with the TV we could use the more economical and smaller gasoline generator. When we need to be away and leave the dogs, we could use the Onan. If were determine that the bottom line price of the Onan is out of line with want we to spend, we will probably trade the EU3000 for the two EU2000's and the parallel kit.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Delaine and Lindy As you probably have read, I am new to this game and trying to decide about generators. My sister has been 5th wheeling for about 8 years and have never boondocked, hence they have NO generator. Without sounding facetious, why would I need a generator if I don't boondock?

Thanks, just trying to do what's best for my rig and lifestyle......
pparamore, This may help... Richfaa and I both bought Kipor 3000 (or 3500) gens from the dealership we bought our 3400s from. Within our first two months of FTing we ran into an emergency situation, where our CG power (and entire town) was knocked out by a storm. 115 degree heat index at midnight, meant we would have had to abandon our 3400 immediately for a hotel room. We would not have survived - literally - in our Monty under such conditions.

I fired up our 3000 Kipor and it powered our A/C for four hours while crews worked to restore power. VERY thankful for our 3000. Then, in Sept, just before the Rally, we were invited to stay at a friend's homestead with our 3400. When we got there, he had been just building his house, he had not gotten the eletric put in for us like he thought he could. We unexpectedly had to use our 3000 for 3 days while he worked to put in the wiring we needed.

So, NO, we did not plan on ever boondocking. And, YES, we did have to use our 3000 Kipor and we are VERY glad we have it.

Rich and Helen, on the other hand, have never had a situation where they have needed their Kipor. This naturally leaves someone scratching their head, wondering why they paid all that money just to haul an extra 132 # (w/o gas in the tank) all over the country... Without that, one might even be able to carry another bird with them in their travels... Rich???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #30
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Heres my two cents worth. When talking CO2 fumes LP is cleaner burning fuel than gas by far and produces whole lot less harmful CO2 than regular gas fumes are, that's why must all installed units are propane, plus you already have propane fuel source.
In my new rig I order it with install Onan 6500 LP straight from the factory. Reason and main reason was last year while at the beach for week 100 plus outside all rigs pulling all power they could, the CG blew huge transformer and it ran back into all the pedestals and burnt up wiring and all that that unit was feeding. It cut the power out to half the the CG for over 48 hours. luckily enough my neighbor had Class A with gen set that I ran a drop cord from over to me to run fans inside the camper. Was not real fun two days with kids and wife in camper of over 90 plus inside temps.
Also happened at CG over fall storm hit the area killed power for at least 12 plus hours so it would have come in handy then as well. So when I ordered new rig I got it with gen set installed so i never have to worry about it again
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #31
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I guess the heat thing would be enough to buy into a gen. Being in Alaska for last 13 years, I am not a huge fan of the extreme heat and can not bear to be without AC. So looks like my only question is: Onan, Kipor or Honda. I like the portability of the portable units, but they are not enough to power it all. Is there another option other than the Onan I could look at. Would just like to compare, Onans seem quite pricey......Thanks for the help.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #32
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Broome101, have you checked the fuel consumption of that Onan 6500, I think I read somewhere it will use up both those 30 lb tanks in just a few hours.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #33
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Nope not checked that as we just got new rig few weeks ago, I carry a full 40 lb cylinder as spare around with me anyway, but it will eat what it eats I guess. i got one big enough to run both AC's and have enough spare power to go as well. I guess if I need it in an emergency I will not really be worried about LP consumption, just fill them back up.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Broome - happens to use as well every once in a while. CG blows a main breaker and the rangers have to call in an electrician. The generator keeps us cool until it's resolved, plus we usually end up with a few cords running out for the neighbors.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote