Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
Propane Tanks

I have a 2002 Montana 3255RL, and my question is with my two 30 lb propane tanks.
When I use the right tank until it is completely empty, then switch to the left tank, I am not getting any gas at all from the full left tank.
I tried installing a new regulator, but the problem is still there.

I can physically move the left tank to the right side and it works perfectly, so I know there is nothing wrong with the cylinder itself.
Has anyone ever had this problem?
Please let me know of any solutions.
Thank You.

gprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No expert here, but off the top of my ever sick mind

Spiders LOVE propane, any chance that the cross over lines are full of web stuff???

Now, the fellas will happen along and give you the real answer!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Have you flipped over the tank selector valve?
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The answer is yes. Now you need to see if the internal safety valve on the left tank has activated.
I had to open the top valve very slowly to prevent the tank internal safety valve from tripping.
Disconnect your left tank and slowly open the top valve and see if any propane comes out. If it does not, take it out, put some wood on the ground pick it up about a foot and drop it on the wood. Check and see if the propane will seep out now when you crack the valve (remember only crack it because the internal safety valve will shut down flow). If not pick it up a little higher and drop on the wood again. You are trying to reset the safety valve inside to allow flow. Once you have flow you can put it on either side. If you do put it on the left side just open the valve real slow so the tank does not think it is an open unsealed line.
I hope this helps.
Happy New Year.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
H. John Kohl is right. I don't know why, but the new valves do sometimes stick. Start with both valves turned off. Then, it is important that when you turn the valve open for use that you open it just a crack and then slowly open it all the way. Open both of them this way. Usually this solves the problem. Be sure you have the indicator pointing toward the tank that you want to draw from and that both tanks are open. This will allow you to draw from one tank until empty and then automatically switch to the full tank. Then switch the indicator to point to the full tank. Now you can remove the empty tank and get it refilled.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
I don't think it is the internal safety valve on the tank itself, since I can move the full tank from the left side over to the right side, and it works there.
The full tank will not work when it is located in the left side compartment.
I thought at first it was just a bad regulator, but I replaced it with a new one.

GP
Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
This is probably a stupid question, but if I have both tanks open at the same time, how do I know when one is empty, and when to turn the regulator handle to point to the full one.

Would the regulator indicator show red even after it automatically switches to the full tank?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Around page 5-2 in your Montana manual talks about this condition, although kind of cryptic.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
First, I think there are two things that may stick, one is the overfill protection device, and that is what banging on the ground may fix. Usually this is a problem encountered when filling the tank. The second is an excess flow valve that is located in the connector, this closes if the valve senses too much flow, and assumes that this is the result of a leak. This valve can be closed by the sudden surge of gas into the cross over pipe when you open the tank on the side opposite the regulator (the regulators are not all on the same side). Newer units have a secondary regulator to prevent this problem, but before 05, there was no secondary regulator (it is a red regulator located on the side away from the main regulator.)

The main regulator has an indicator that should show green when the in service tank has gas in it. When that tank runs empty, the indicator will turn red and the tank will automaticly swithch to the stand-by tank. You should check your regulator every few days to see it it has turned red, if it has, flip the lever over to the other side and your former stand by tank will become the in service tank, and you can remove the empty tank to refill it. When you put it back, open the valve very slowly, especially on the tank away from the main regulator, so that the excess flow valve will not close.

Long winded I know, but it is not as complicated in reality as it sounds in writing.

Good luck.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gprice

This is probably a stupid question, but if I have both tanks open at the same time, how do I know when one is empty, and when to turn the regulator handle to point to the full one.

Would the regulator indicator show red even after it automatically switches to the full tank?

Thanks.
No question is ever stupid. You will know when one tank is empty by looking at your regulator. If the window shows red rather than green, the tank the indicator is pointing toward is empty. Flip the indicator lever toward the other tank. The regulator window will show green (assuming that tank is not empty also).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
OntMont (John)
I understand that I can correct a stuck overfill protection device by dropping the tank onto a piece of wood. I guess this is to jar it loose. Is this dangerous?

Once it is stuck, how do I unstick the excess flow valve that is located in the connector?

Also, you said the newer models have a secondary regulator on the side opposite the main regulator.
Can I have one of these installed on my 2002 Montana?

Thank You
Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I learned it from an experienced propane guy. I don't think it would be dangerous (as long as you keep you foot out of the way).

On the second point, I forgot to say that the excess flow valves will reset themselves if you disconnect them to relieve the pressure on them, then re-connect, and SLOWLY open the tank valve.

I think it was October 2005 that the RVIA started to require the secondary regulator on RVs with the tanks in split locations. I imagine you could order one through any RV dealer, or possibly directly from the regulator manufacturer, Marshall Gas Regulator Co. I don't have one on my unit. I thought about getting one, but as long as you remember to open the tank valve slowly, they are not really necessary.

I hope this helps.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I think this trail has been trod before.
If I recall correctly, with both tanks full and opened at the same time with the selection lever in the direction of the tank in use, the indicator will display as green. When tank empties, the indicator will indicate half green and half red. In this condition the regulator will switch to a reduced gas flow condition. When the tank selector switch is turned to the full tank the indicator will indicate green and the empty tank can be removed for filling.

Does this sound accurate?
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
John
From what you have said, it sounds like the excess flow valve.
I have always opened the valves quickly, but it only seems to cause a problem on the side oppisite the main regulator.

I will try this tomorrow to see if it corrects the problem.

Also, I would like to thank all the Montana folks who responded to my questions.
As always, You have been very kind & helpful.

GP
Alexandria, Alabama
Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
I wonder if it might just not be the big nut on the end of the hose that connects to the tank.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
OntMont (John)
You were right John, I simply opened the valve very slowly, and it worked perfectly.
Thank You, and all the others who responded.

And yes, crandallbradley, after much trial & error, I did finally realize it "was" the big nut on the end of the hose.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was not aware of the drop it on a board method. The two or three times we had this problem I just turned it upside down and back two or three times and it freed up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote