Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
vanomm

M.O.C. #4694
inverter - xantrex prosine

we like to boondock for extended periods so we're looking to add an inverter to power some of the smaller 120-volt stuff. i've been researching true sine wave inverters, in particular the xantrex prosine 1800 and the 2.0 (the 2.0 comes with charger and transfer switch). the difference in price is about $400 (about $1000 for the 1800 and $1400 for the 2.0). anyone with experience installing/using these products? or, suggestions for alternatives.

vanomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I put an Xpower 1000 in our unit ( We have a 2980Rl ).
It runs everything from a 19" TV to the coffee maker.
Although our 25" TV just does not like the Xpower inverter
The TV makes a funny noise just been plugged into the inverter.
( the tv doesn't even have to be turned on & it only draws 125 watts ).
I have to check with Xantrex to see what the problem is. Everything else works great.
I mounted the inverter beside the laundry basket.
A) it required a size 2 welding cable + & - no longer then 5' from the battery.
B) I can lift the lid to the laundry chute and turn it on.
C) it was easy to run a power bar from the entertainment center to the Inverter.
This inverter only cost us $ 75.00 Canadian.
One thing to remember is that inverters can drain a 12 volt battery in a heartbeat
so I don't know how long a $ 1400.00 inverter would last Boondocking on a pair
of size 24 or size 27 - 12 volt batteries.

Hope this helps
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Any particular reason for the true sine wave? I thought I wanted one but found the fairly inexpensive 2500 watt one that was sold to us works quite well in our new 3295RK. It would not operate the microwave in our previous 2950RK, even though it is the same model, etc. of microwave, but does just fine in this one. The T.V. has some minor lines but not much more than when we are at home watching a local station that doesn't come in just exactly right. So far we have had no problem with battery chargers, etc. while running on inverter. Of course the charger and transfer switch options add some $$ to the cost as well but I figure I can stumble along for awhile with this setup.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We installed the Prosine 2.0 and have been very happy with it. If you can get one for $1400, by all means get it. Most of the time they retail for $2000. As for wanting a true sine wave generator, most electronics equipment (high end computers, scanners, printers, etc., will not operate really well on some of the inverters on the market. If you do now, or plan to later, have computers in your rig (we have two--one full size and one laptop), I'd recommend you go with the true sine wave inverter.

For what it's worth, for some reason or other, the charger on our Prosine would not operate as designed (it did work tho'), so I called Xantrex and they sent me a new unit at no cost to me. And, get this, ours was way out of warranty! They even sent free re-shipping instructions (RMA).

Hope this info is helpful.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #5
ghomer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3690
The charger/transfer switch is a good idea.Most rigs internal charger,charge at less than an 1 amp. I added an inverter/transfer switch and its a 100 amp three stage charger. With 100amps your batteries will recover quickly. I also have a total of 4 batteries and solar panels for charging.
ghomer is offline   Reply With Quote