Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Problems w/Recliners/Day/Night Shades

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their relciner chairs. We have the two and noticed on one were there is alot of play in the back of the chair. We noticed this when we took delivery but it was not as bad. We called our dealer and they said they send the chairs out to someone to fix. So I was just wondering is this a common problem?
We also had our first problem with the dinnette day/night shade. It was always a bit difficult moving up and down. This time out, while lowering the night shade, the day shade just fell suddenly. There was no broken strings, the little plastic end cap came out and almost the whole shade. It ripped a bit at the end. The dealer said they would order another one. Thanks everyone

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had a couple of shades where the end cap wanted to come off occasionally. Fortunately ours never ripped. I eventually decided to put a spot of cement on the cap when I put it back in place. They've never again come off. I don't think it would be too hard to pry the cap off (just one little spot of cement) if needed to restring the shade or something like that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Wow, talk about timing! I just received an email from Mastercraft.
Our problem: Recliner won't stay reclined. Mark Vogelzang of RVandvansurplus.com suggest I should call the factory direct: 260-768-4101. Haven't called them yet, but will shortly and let you know what they had to say.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
One of our recliners has something sticking out of the armrest on the left hand side. It is right where you rest your fingers. I felt it and rubbed my finger on it to see what it was and sliced my finger wide open. Looked at it and it appears to be a piece of plastic? Then on the shades, our last trip out the rear large window fell apart during travel. The white part lost the end piece and then slid out of the holding thingie. Ripped apart. I just left it that way because we are taking the Monty in to get alot of other things fixed so they might as well take care of that to. When we travel the shades are always falling down. I think they need to be tightened. As for the recliner, I will have them look at that to. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Results w/Mastercraft. Talked with Clara and she referred me to Ron in the Warranty Dept. 1-800-523-5652 ext. 243. In talking with him he had an easy fix. Turn chair upside down. The long spring can be adjusted to one of four holes and that should do the trick. Very nice people to talk with and seem to aim to please.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
No problems with the chairs, but Montana replaced the large rear day/night shade after it tore on one end. All of them have slid apart but never tore. I did the same thing as Steve did and glued the plastic ends on with goop. That did the trick.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2400HD GMC Crew cab Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
We had the same thing with the dinette shade end cap coming off and the material ripped a little bit. We put the end cap back on and have done nothing else. If it comes off again, we will glue it back on. We noticed that it takes two people to lower and raise this shade because it so close to the table and for Amy to reach it she has to lean over pretty far and practically lay on the table. The shade also hangs up on the table. Just an annoyance, but it's working fine. No problems with the recliners yet.

Has anyone thought of turning the dinette lengthwise to make it easier to handle the shade? Just wondering if that would work.
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I had to reattach the footrest on one of the chairs. Luckily it was my wife's chair so I didnt't get the blame. lol. Actually, I wasn't all that impressed with the chair quality. When we raise or lower the day / night shades, they snag up on the the little curtain tie backs (for lack of better term). I would suspect they will have to be replaced at some point.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Thanks everyone for your info on this. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John & Marianne...Did Mastercraft say what kind of warranty these recliners have? We are taking ours in to get fix but I will keep the phone number just in case I have any other questions. I am going to turn my upside down and look...the other one seems to want to open when we are moving(probably due to a bump or rough road) Thanks for the info!!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Mike and Amy
We unscrewed our table and pulled it our about an inch and the shade works fine. On ours it also hangs up on the knob to turn the window open. We just have to remember that when raising or lowering it. The first time we did it, some of the material csme loose and tore a bit but we got it back on and the tear does not show. We have had no problems with any of the others and no problems with the curtain tie backs (ours are metal).
While we love our recliners, one does not hold it outright position as well as I would like so I'm thankful for the info to tighten. We will try that.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote