Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Opinions on X-Chock Tire Locking Chock

Good morning everyone...

I was putting together a Christmas wish list for my wife and was considering the X-Chock that I saw at Camping World.

Does anyone have this product and if so what are your thoughts on it?

Here is a link to the product info page on campingworld.com:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ng-chock/43891

Thanks,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I like the X-chocks, have two. I tighten them well as they can loosen as the tires cool. I did not like the BAL chocks that were not "X" and think the X-chock is an improvement.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Stiles, have you noticed a difference with the X chocks since having the level up system installed?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi another thing you might put on you list is Leg Leverlers I have one and it has make getting the legs even, when the ground isn't. I like it so much I going to put one on the other side so no more wedges.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I have them and with the JT stabilizers it makes a nice difference.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had the BAL chocks and pulled one out (started to drive a way with them in place) real easy then drove over it. I replaced with the X chocks and feel they do a better job. I am afraid I would damage a tire if I pulled out with the X chocks installed.

Note: I do put the hex head facing the ground. If it faces up the wrench hits the fender of the slide and hurts the knuckles.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, as the level system lifts the rig, the reduced weight on the tires can make the x-chocks loosen, but once the rear legs are down it is really unnecessary. I tighten it enough to hold it in until I start the retract sequence.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have the BAL chocks that are the solid face (H chock?). The biggest problem with these is that they are too fat and don't fit between some rig's (SOBs) tires. MY BIL had this problem with his Keystone Everest and hated the chock setup he was using especially if the tires were in the air for leveling and was envious of my easier setup.

Then he bought a set of X chocks (I was with him and then it was my turn to be envious) and I must say they do seem to hold much better because there are essential 4 independent (smaller) surfaces for gripping compared to only two with my X chocks. I think H John makes a good assumption that it could be uglier attempting to drive away if you forget to remove them since they hold much better. But I (or DW) remember to remove them and vote for a stronger holding product.

I don't know if they have the "shrinking tire" problem like the H chock but I am sure it does. When you first setup your rig and the tires are still hot from driving and you install the H (or X, or even Roto style) chocks, you'll need to go back periodically especially if you are on a front to rear slant of any kind and TIGHTEN those chocks (maybe even a few times). Like Steve Reigle and others observed some time ago, as the tire cools it shrinks and any kind of chock that uses the tires as opposing forces for holding a trailer will still need to be firmed up and if the tire shrinks because it cools, you're gonna have a problem.

This happened to me in Yosemite on a rearward slant. We parked anyway and DW HATED the fact we were not front to rear level and the rear stabilizers were stretched to near limit while the front was almost sitting on the ground, but so were most folks in that area. But everything was shored up and the H chocks in place so I told her to stop getting wigged out since everyone else was in the same boat and we were chocked correctly. But some time later I was feeling movement. I told DW "I'm gonna take a short hike" and looked and found the H chocks very loose! I was MIFFED thinking about what could have happened in another hour because of the downward angle. But then realized the tires probably shrunk from temperature! I never did flat out tell her, I just make tightening chocks regularly like I knew about it all the time and do this on flatter ground too. This was all before I joined MOC.

This long story just means that between the wheel chocks are a great idea and I like them a lot, but you'll need to check and recheck AND if you are on a front to back slant of any kind bring along some good size ground chocks for some extra support. I install one with the hex nut up and one with hex nut down because of the fender skirt clearance. I could put both in the same direction, but this config forces me to exercise my brain and stay more alert. When I start losing my mind over this it'll be time to get out of RVing.

One last warning. DO NOT use these in position when the rig is stored for a long long time, use ground style chocks. My wheel chocks stuck to the rubber tires and made an awful ripping noise that seemed like they had stuck to the rubber and I don't know if it takes off any rubber or not, but it sure sounded like it. This was after about 5 months in winter storage (not winterized, just cold). Maybe cleaning the tire and mating chock surfaces might help, but a decent floor chock is easier. I live in southern California desert climates and maybe this is another consideration. Just something else to think about. Full-timers using these are almost in the same boat when parked for long periods, so hopefully they can comment.

Has anyone ever used a torque wrench to gauge how tight they should be before tire damage? I am not that big so I'm sure my big BIL torques his a lot better than I do, but what's the recommendation?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have the BAL H chocks. I put some 'sticky backed' sand paper on mine. THat way they are less likely to slip and allow tires to roll while the chocks are in place. I'm very happy with mine. They are especially handy when the wheels are up on blocking.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I have the BAL chocks like John did and drove over the one that I forgot to pick up. It was early AM and dark and I was tired, so.......... We think we will replace them with the X chocks. Thanks John and Stiles for the info.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I have the X-chocks too. Good stuff.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Just ordered a two pack of X chocks from Amazon for $71 and change, free shipping.