Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
Montana_1577
Established Member

M.O.C. #1577
Avoid this one in North Myrtle Beach!

Our "suckiest" experience was with Barefoot RV Resort in N.Myrtle Beach,SC. The sites are extremely tiny. We had a 30 foot travel trailer at the time and found it nearly impossible to find enough room to park the tow vehicle the night we arrived. So, on our way out to get groceries, we asked the young lady at the registration office if we could park across from our site in a "golf cart pen" (Which had ZERO carts parked in it!). After returning from the store, we were greated a short time later by an older gentleman who commenced to JUMP MY A**!! He didn't even identify himself until I asked him who he was. He then smarted off "I'm the general manager". I tried to explain that we had gotten permission from a staff member to park there until I could do some "tweeking" on the camper's position in the daylight to which he replied "That girl had no authority to give you any such permission! I'll deal with her!" I'll tell ya, I was so mad that I nearly pulled up stakes right then and left but we had done so much planning for the trip.....What a class A jerk that guy was.
So, we have officially forever scratched this campground from any future visits and have persuaded at least three rv friends from ever going there just by relating this true story. I was treated like common trash by this old power-crazy thug. I can see the need to be this way towards folks who have absolutely no respect for rules/property but in our circumstance, it was totally out of line.

Montana_1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
It's unfortunate to have something like that happen to you. (And when it does, you should speak out!) But on any given day you will meet a jerk at one place or another. Fortunately, most places outlast the jerk. And after the jerk moves on, the place is no longer such a bad place. Thus I would suggest that as you relate this story to others, please let them know if this happened the summer of '02, '03 or '04. Then others can decide to speak up that they have been there since without a problem. Or the listener might decide that the jerk might have left and decide to take a chance.

But thanks for relating your story. Perhaps it will spare a fellow Montana owner an ugly experience.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Montana_1577
Established Member

M.O.C. #1577
Our ugly incident was in March 2004
Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
GSP, Thanks for the heads up! I wonder if one of your neighbors did not report you to the manager when they saw you park the truck across the street. Regardless, that is no way to run a business. I am glad you did not leave, they would have gotten your money and you would have only gotten the grief from the manager. I hope the rest of your stay went well!

Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
We stayed at this park in December of '03. It wasn't great. The campsites are not marked (at least the part in the trees). They didn't any paved areas for the camper or truck, no picnic tables. We arrived in the early afternoon and promptly got stuck in the sand. There was a very nice fellow camper with a jeep that pulled us out.

We vowed not to ever stay there again.

So, where do you stay in North Myrtle Beach???
Old 07-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Montana_1577
Established Member

M.O.C. #1577
We've stayed at Prirateland and Apache. They both have their good and bad points. Pirateland is very friendly and accomadating but the beach in that area is pretty narrow. Apache has an awesome beach, they are also customer oriented but some of their sites are "size challenged" (but not nearly to the extent of Barefoot).Aphache also has the added bonus of their 1400 ft. pier. We plan to try Ocean Lakes on a future visit this fall. They are now installing alot of concrete pads at many of their sites to make setup an even easier experience.
Barefoot is unfortunately going to continue to trap folks unfamiliar with camping in North Myrtle Beach. It is my intention to warn all those in our Montana family so that they might make a better choice and not endure the experience that we (and I'm sure many others) have had.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
Montana_1781
Established Member

M.O.C. #1781
Sorry to hear about your stay at Barefoot. We have visited Myrtle Beach five times and have always stayed at Ocean Lakes Campground. We love it there. The staff is friendly and helpful and very professional. They ask the size of your rig when you make reservations so you get a site that will accomodate it. It is quite expensive (right now $48.50 for a site back with shade, ocean front sites are a few dollars more) but the campground is maintained beautifully. The owners put money back into the campground. They are outdoor & indoor pools, rec center, mini golf, outdoor activities, daily activities, 24 hour security, and the list goes on. It is popular so you need to make reservations early. You can make them 18 months in advance. Check out their website -
www.oceanlakes.com Thanks for listening!
Debi Small
Montana_1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Thanks for the information. We always stay at the North Myrtle Family Campgrounds. It is north of Apache right on the beach. it is a little pricy but the accomodations are good. We have a 36 footer so I have to angle mine a bit to get the awning out and still use the cabana. It has a nice pool, a lazy river, a cafe, a snack bar, and a good store..
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2003 3655 FL Montana/Ford F-350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GSP805

Our "suckiest" experience was with Barefoot RV Resort in N.Myrtle Beach,SC. The sites are extremely tiny. We had a 30 foot travel trailer at the time and found it nearly impossible to find enough room to park the tow vehicle the night we arrived. So, on our way out to get groceries, we asked the young lady at the registration office if we could park across from our site in a "golf cart pen" (Which had ZERO carts parked in it!). After returning from the store, we were greated a short time later by an older gentleman who commenced to JUMP MY A**!! He didn't even identify himself until I asked him who he was. He then smarted off "I'm the general manager". I tried to explain that we had gotten permission from a staff member to park there until I could do some "tweeking" on the camper's position in the daylight to which he replied "That girl had no authority to give you any such permission! I'll deal with her!" I'll tell ya, I was so mad that I nearly pulled up stakes right then and left but we had done so much planning for the trip.....What a class A jerk that guy was.
So, we have officially forever scratched this campground from any future visits and have persuaded at least three rv friends from ever going there just by relating this true story. I was treated like common trash by this old power-crazy thug. I can see the need to be this way towards folks who have absolutely no respect for rules/property but in our circumstance, it was totally out of line.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I haven't stayed at Barefoot Landing with the Monty yet but have been there 3 times before. We always stayed in the lower section by the beach and didn't problems with the space. We were there with a 37' motorhome and a car in tow.

The worst thing about Myrtle Beach is getting there. There are no 2 lane roads from the North or West, they are all single lane and it takes a while to get there off 95.

If you want to talk about space (or lack of) then we stayed at Appalacian in Shartlesville Pa. Our slide out was under the neighbors awning.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I was thinking about going to Myrtle beach. This one will go on my do not list. Thanks for the heads up.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Now that is a small site and pretty crappy for both of you!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

I haven't stayed at Barefoot Landing with the Monty yet but have been there 3 times before. We always stayed in the lower section by the beach and didn't problems with the space. We were there with a 37' motorhome and a car in tow.

The worst thing about Myrtle Beach is getting there. There are no 2 lane roads from the North or West, they are all single lane and it takes a while to get there off 95.

If you want to talk about space (or lack of) then we stayed at Appalacian in Shartlesville Pa. Our slide out was under the neighbors awning.

John
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:39 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, that really stinks! Is this the place you stayed at? http://www.barefootrvresort.com/ I was curious because you are talking about Barefoot RV Resort and someone was talking about Barefoot Landing and they are different.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GSP805

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:20 AM   #13
Montana_1577
Established Member

M.O.C. #1577
Yep! that's the one
Old 07-07-2004, 09:10 AM   #14
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Great thanks!!!!