Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Automobile audio in Montana?

If I were to install a conventional car radio in the Montana, can I run the speaker outputs to the existing Quest surround sound speakers? ...or is car audio somehow different?
(I guess the real question should be, if I do it, will it work without damaging something?)

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I did that in our Prowler TT years ago and it worked fine. It replaced the $.75 piece of junk that came with the trailer.

The only concern would be speaker impedance (8 or 4 ohms) but I am not sure that a mismatch would cause any problems. Try it!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
LOL Be carefull you don't over tax that Quest. There has been several of us who have experienced that some of the Quest units are junk to start with, I don't know if I would add anything to it.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are two factors to consider, the output impedence and the output wattage of the radio and the limits of the speakers. Impedence should be either 4 or 8 ohms, which I believe will be fine, but if the ouput wattage of the stereo exceeds the limits of the speakers, at high volume, it is possible and probable that you will blow (damage) the speakers. I would hope this infomation is posted on the radio and speakers to tell. Here is an article to explain the impedence limitiations:
http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm
I believe the impedence as I stated will not be an issue, wattage ratings can be.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The auto stereos will work fine. Remember they are powered by 12 volt DC. You have 12 volts all over the trailer and you would have to find a 12 volt source and tap into it. I installed a car stereo/CD in my basement attached to the ceiling and used a set of enclosed car stereo speakers to provide sound outside. The speakers in the trailer are really inexpensive. If you want to use them they will work fine. Are planning to remove the factory Quest unit? My Quest unit in a landfill somewhere, no great loss. I replaced it with a decent home system speakers and all. What an improvement!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Many do not give a lot of thought to impedance until it is to late. Think of a CB radio and an Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) that can damage component parts if left to high. Well, a mismatch of impedance can be detrimental to the power transistors delivering those watts to the speaker. If the radio to be used is capable of 4 or 8 ohm connectivity you will not have any problems so long as the impedance of the circuit is 4 or 8 ohms. If there is a mismatch, you will get power reflections that can damage the audio output transistors. There could be problems if you decide to add speakers. If you have 2 speakers and add two more (R & L) you have halved the impedance. The more speakers you use will decrease the impedance. The problem will arise if you try to crank up the volume with a mismatched impedance system.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote