Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Television Mounting - Again

OK, I have searched the other posts, but I can't quite figure it out.

We have a 2005 3295RK. The TV is mounted with the typical screw in the top (and I suppose 2 in the bottom from what I have read).

We need to pull out the TV to check connections and maybe add some video/audio inputs for satellite connections. I can only figure that the top screw head access is below one of the surround sound speakers above the TV and cannot figure out how to take that bad boy out.

Can I get some advice on how to remove the screws and access the back of the TV. I'm about to get the hacksaw out!

one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Look for a wood/plactic insert right between the double cabinet doors on your entertainment center. It looks like it won't come out but it does..pry it up/there is a screw under it..Unscrew the screw..that screw goes into the center speaker..remove center speaker..bend your neck at a almost impossible angle, look down...guess what..another screw..that screw goes into the top of the TV set...Then remove the bottom screws ..if you have a fireplace(we don't) we have not a clue ..someone else can take over from here///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The fireplace comes out with 4 screws (one in each corner). They have wood plugs over them. Pry off the plugs and take out the screws.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
I got the television out fine, with the help of these answers. Thanks richfaa & Parrothead. Fortunately, I do not have a fireplace, so access to the bottom screws was easy.

Now, do you know how to point a satellite dish? Just kidding (sort of). I'll get back to the group if I need more help.
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There a lot of Satellite dish pointers here..ask away when you are ready.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
One_Strange_Texan
When you reinstall the tv, you might want to add another screw or two in the top. I have three in the top now, as I have had the one snap into, added one more and both of them snapped into, so far three have held.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a note on how much that big ole OEM TV moves when traveling. We have three wood shims wedged in the top of the TV when traveling in a attempt to stabilize the Tv. After a day of traveling all of them have been shaken out. That is not a good thing..
Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have never had any trouble with our tv or screws breaking. We never had to mess with the tv in the living area.Ours was not in a slide, we had the 2955RL. In the bedroom we had to replace the tv, just put screws back and never had any problems.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We had the screw snap in our TV as we went down 95 in CA. We saw the TV hanging out of the opening when we went in to check on things after a particular rough patch of road. We tried shims, rubberized door stops and towels. We found the best thing to stuff in there to hold it was towels. You had to use something like wooden spoon or screw driver to stuff it tight. When we finally had time to fix it, we used 3 screws and that is holding. It seems really strange to be putting screws into the top of a television case!!! But that is better than finding your television hanging out everytime you stopped. The only thing that kept it from falling on the floor is the depth was long enough to catch on the frame.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
HUMMM ..towels..will try that as the Shim fix is not working..it just goes against everything I ever did in electronics to drive a screw into electronic equipment.. Maybe I need to think like a RV manufacturer were anything goes..
Old 01-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Snapped screws on I 94 near Battle Creek, found the telie a bit wobbly a week or so later. Sure glad we found it.

Then, less than 6 months later, lost the telie for good, it basically died a sparky death. Not worth fixing, out of warranty.

So, Al purchased a new Telie that is smaller, thanks to the wood shop in the park we were staying at, and some time and some thinking, we now have a shelf over the telie that holds the dvd player. Al had to put screws into that new telie. A bit concerning, but if you take the back off, being careful, but of course, and look the situation over carefully and measure carefully, you can find a "safe" place to put the screws in.

The telie in the bedroom was a small one we had and worked great, and why replace??? so, he mounted that with "L" brackets, and screws into the cabinet and the telie. Has not moved in the miles we have put on, a moderate 20,000 (give or take) miles.

Screws sound scary, but, so far, with some care, they have not been a problem for us. (Note the disclaimer phrase, , "so far".)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Think Hotel, Motel, etc. All of the Telies (I love Carol's language) are screwed down so it is not just an RV thingy. We have had no problems with ours (as yet). The road we traveled in Montana last summer was a good test and nothing happened.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #13
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I don't have any screws in my TV! Not sure when they were removed but, haven't been any since I have owned it. I have removed the TV several times for one reason or another and just slip it back into the hole. There is a 1"x2" brace holding up the bottom of the upper cabinet and I just force the TV under it as tight as I can. I have had the TV move on one occasion about 2 inches but thats all. If it were to come out it would hit the slide wall before falling to the floor. Of course it would not do the TV or the wall any good to have it banging there for any length of time. Probably should add a screw or two. But I am hoping it will break so I can replace it with the new Flat Screen TV.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote