Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Montana_3199
Established Member

M.O.C. #3199
Slide out pump selinoids sticking

I have had trouble with my slide out selinoids sticking and it almost cost me a great grandson. He is 3 and was left in the rv while my wife went to the garage to get cereal. When we returned he was sitting on the sofa like a statue and all slide outs were in various stages of in. Trash can saved him and other "Stuff" blocked them from coming all the way in. I stood there accessing the situation when they started back out. I realized what had happened and immediately tried to unstick the swtich but couldn't. I then went to the Battery and disconnected the pump and hand pumped out the slide outs into possition. We had been living in this Montana Big Sky for 8 months or so and had not used the slide outs for some time. I looked into it and they look like normal 12 volt selinoids for a ford or chevy starter.

Anyone had any experience with these. I am fixing to dig into it and would like any help I could get.

Thanks

Ron k4rbm.

Montana_3199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That sounds like a serious issue that will be hard to troubleshoot.

After the episode with your grandson, I would start replacing solenoids and not stop until the switch was replaced and all the wiring inbetween. (possibly a short in the wiring?).

The last thing you want to see happen going down the interstate is you are suddenly 16' wide instead of the 8-1/2' you thought you were.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Sounds like the switch to me. I would be flipping that switch to see if it hangs in the "on" state and when release slide keeps running. Sounds scary that it turned on by itself! I agree would make for many nightmares that don't belong with you when RVing...do some extensive testing to be sure your "fixed".
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I met a Montana owner in a State Park last summer that had "fixed" that problem before he ever had trouble. He did not trust his G'kids not to play with the switch for the slides so he hard wired a simple light switch into the system in the front compartment right by the Hydraulic pump. After setting up he turned the power off to the slides. Won't fix sticky solenoids but will disable the system and prevent accidents.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I also think it is a faulty switch. However I know some people have had grand children push the slide button not knowing what they were doing. That is why I added a on off switch in my basement. I don't want that to happen or the slides opening while going down the road. You have 12 volts going to the common of the switch then it is switched to contact a or b that sends 12 volts up to the pump. These wires run together and should the installation wear and they touch you would have 12 volts running to your pump. I know someone that had the slides go out while driving due to a faulty switch. Lucky for them they were on divided 4 lane.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Montana_3199
Established Member

M.O.C. #3199
First of all I didn't say the part about the G kid flipping the switch. When he did the Seleniods did stick, not the switch. I disconnected all the wires and tested it quite thouroughly. I did consider putting a disable switch for the g-kids but first I need to fix the stickig problem. Believe me I tried everything when the slide outs were going in and out until I disconnected the battery cable to the pump. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
k4rbm,

What year of coach do you have? Sounds like about an '03?
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
Montana_3199
Established Member

M.O.C. #3199
I have the original 2001 Big Sky 3280rl. I found this out when I was told by 2 different dealers I did not have a 2001 Big Sky. I contacted the factory yesterday and the confirmed I had the original proto type. Not that it makes any difference. I thought this might more common that this.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ron,

You should submit a picture of your rig so we can put it in the Hall of Records!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Montana_3199
Established Member

M.O.C. #3199
Never sent in a picture before but I have some.