Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Sun protection while in storage

Hi, all. We recently purchased a 2955 RL and decided to try and protect the interior from the intense sun here in Colorado while our unit is in storage. We bought some of that foil bubblewrap stuff from Lowe's, and it seems to work well on the windows. However, the skylight over the shower has some significant heat buildup when I put a sheet of the stuff over the opening, and I'm worried about heat damage to the bezel or to the skylight itself. Anyone else have a solution?
Thanks

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Scattershot,

We have a 2955RL as well as the Colorado sun, the only thing I was able to find for that skylight was something at CW that you had to use velcro to hold up. Since we didn't want to put velcro on our new Monty we left that one exposed this winter, although my wife covered the floor and bed with towels to keep them from getting bleached out by the sun. On our other vents we just bought those things from CW that look like insulation that you kind of shove inside the vent and it stays in that way.

If anyone does have a solution for those skylights I'm all ears too.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not use anything for my skylight. I also wondered about the heat buildup that would be caused by placing the foil wrap in the skylight.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I pulled the inside down and put a white towel up in there. Still get light but it wont affect anything from the sun. It is also light colored so it dont get hot. Been in there for 3 years now.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We put bubble wrap inside the shower skylight. It cuts down the heat. There was a thread on this awhile back. Someone suggested and it works well. We took the skylight cover down and put the bubble wrap in between the inside of sky light and outside of skylight. The screws are easy to do and easy to put back.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Montana_5667

M.O.C. #5667
Mac and Scattershot. I see you have a 2955RL. I am picking mine up in Salt Lake on Monday. Any problems or suggestions?
Bud - Durango
Montana_5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We picked ours up in Tucson in March. No problems at all. Might want to check the latches on the cabinets, though. Our drawers in the galley came open a few times. I installed baby locks and no more problems. You will love it. Happy camping! (My wife says that with this unit, we really can't call it camping anymore!)

I don't trust the Chinese tires the factory installs, and had them replaced when I got back to Denver, but that's just a personal preference.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Jsmitfl, Dusty, thanks for the tips. I didn't realize that the inner skylight came out so easily.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Bud,

We love our 2955 but this is our first full season. We were very lucky with the quality and it is built so much better than any other camper or trailer we've ever owned. I hope you have great luck with yours. Just like any camper or trailer it helps to be a little handy, there's always a little something that needs to be done.

Maybe we can figure out a way to meet around Durango one of these times.

mac
Old 04-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I did think of one minor annoyance, now that you mention it. The water pump sounded like a B-52 taking off when we first got the trailer. The maintenance folks at Beaudry had a look at it, and couldn't fix it. They quieted it down somewhat, but not enough. (BTW, the access panel is on the left side of the storage compartment on the right side of the coach. He didn't know that, and I had to point it out to him.) Anyway, when we got home, I removed the access panel and used some pipe insulation and tape to pad anyplace I thought would vibrate. Helped a lot, and really made a difference. When you pull the access cover, you'll be amazed at the way they routed the water lines. Looks like a plumber's nightmare in there.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
I made a cover for the skylight using a thermal drapery fabric I bought at Hancock Fabrics and a couple of tension curtain rods. There is a foil layer between two white fabric layers. It effectively keeps the light and some of the heat out without letting heat build up too high.

Mary
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We are thinking about purchasing some material and putting it in between the skylights...I thought I would check Home Depot and a Fabric shop like Jo-Anns..to find a good material that will help with the heat.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Mary,

Can you post some pictures of your skylight drapery fix?

Thanks,

mac
Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

We are thinking about purchasing some material and putting it in between the skylights...I thought I would check Home Depot and a Fabric shop like Jo-Anns..to find a good material that will help with the heat.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````
campbud,
We bought some sun screen at Home Depot. It is like a fabric, cut it to size and put it in the shower area. Not a problem removing the screws and dropping the skylight. Good luck!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote