Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 AM   #21
KemoLondon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21413
Thanks all. Good comments. We made it to Kentucky Horse Park 1st night and down to Forysth KOA the second night. Mountains by Knoxville no problem but going thru Atlanta about 3pm was a little intense. Should be able to make it to Bonita Springs,Fl today. Cool trip so far. Construction was very LIGHT and mostly completed when we went thru it. Safe travels all.

Bob

KemoLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 AM   #22
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Where to stay in Florida depends a lot on your financial situation. The further south an/or the closer you to the beach, the more expensive it is. The panhandle seems to get more rain.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #23
Tcquilter

M.O.C. #19612
Truck Stops

I’d be cautious staying at a truck stop. Apparently there has been increased frustration among truckers with RVers taking up space to spend the night instead of staying at campgrounds. Their frustration is based on the fact that they have no other choices to sleep except in truck stops or on the side of a highway, whereas we can stay in campgrounds. They feel we are taking away their spots forcing them to go elsewhere and there have been incidents of them deliberately hitting your slide outs and damaging your rig. I’m sure not all of them feel so strongly but I will continue to look for RV parks to stay out of respect for them. It’s a tough job and when they need a break, a hot shower and a meal and there is no room at the truck stop because it is full of RVers who don’t want to pay for a site, many of them are getting pretty ticked off.
Tcquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 AM   #24
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
ccl, fyi, Florida CG in the Keys and near beaches on both coasts fill up fast. You'll need to reserve a campsite at least a year in advance. Winter Florida weather is wonderful, 35-80 degrees & no snow or ice to contend with.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We stay near Disney world. We both worked there for a while. Plenty to do in this area, Note that the closer you are to either coast the higher the cost of everything Walt Disney was no fool WDW is in the middle of Florida. Weather is near perfect. You do need to make winter Reservations well in advance no matter where you intend to stay
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #26
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Camping World in Chattanooga also has a campground
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #27
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl View Post
Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping unto this thread. I am thinking about doing the same next year (snow-birding to Florida) We live in Ohio.

Where does everyone stay in Florida?
We REALLY like the Broward County Parks:
http://www.broward.org/Parks/Camping/Pages/default.aspx

We stay at C.B. Smith and would certainly stay there again. Large sites, close to shopping, restaurants, movies etc... & the beach.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #28
Mark Stueck
Established Member

M.O.C. #18844
Send a message via AIM to Mark Stueck
Mid-Florida is good. Hurricane Irma went mid-state over Orlando but VERY little damage. No RV's in our Park sustained any damage. Weather is good BUT will get into 40'S a couple times in the winter. PLENTY to do around here, our Park is walking distance to "Old Town" a quaint entertainment village with shops, amusement park, miniature golf, karaoke, live bands, car shows and restaurants galore. 10 minutes from Disney, 15 minutes from Sea World and 20 minutes from Universal. Not to mention RV Park activities.
Mark Stueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #29
ccl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21513
I was thinking maybe somewhere in mid-Florida, doesn't have to be on the water. I am somewhat on a budget so the high end luxury campgrounds are out. Where is the best place online to do some research. One more question, what can i expect to pay on a monthly basis ( i know it depends where i stay). Is it $800 per month reasonable.
ccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #30
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
We use the following:

Try this Website:http://www.campgroundreviews.com
or,
http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

And, YES, civilians can stay in many military base's RV parks. The costs are minimal and lots of amenities. If you are not military or prior military you will need to purchase a $20.00 card for access.

The problem you are going to run into is this time of year most parks are full.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #31
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
Regarding truckstops.. when we stay in one (Pilot/Flying J), we normally stay in the RV spaces, usually upfront, not in the truck lot out back... If no designated RV spots, we ask at the counter for where they would like us to park.. The usual answer is "anywhere you have space".. then I just make sure I can't get blocked in by some idiot car driver...We have never had an issue with a trucker, because we aren't in their way!!!
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
We use the following

Try this Website:http://www.campgroundreviews.com
or,
[URL]http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/[/URL
And, YES, civilians can stay in many military base's RV parks. The costs are minimal and lots of amenities. If you are not military or prior military you will need to purchase a $20.00 card for access.

The problem you are going to run into is this time of year most parks are full.
There are very few military camp grounds open to the general public. I am only aware of 2. Military CGs are for active duty, retired, and 100% disabled vets (bring your DOD ID or commissary letter). Some extend to retired Dept of Defense employees. Some permit active duty on an installation to sponsor family members. Each CG is given direction by the installation commander.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote