Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
we did it again (for the fourth time)

We have been so very lucky with our workamping experiences. First time, just on a whim, I volunteered for a month at Ft. Stanton NM. Second time was at Steamboat Lake State Park in CO. Now, we are at Canyon Creek RV Resort near Winters CA, between Sacramento and San Francisco. Our next job start March 1 at Greenbelt National Park MD 12 miles from the White House. Each of these places was where i wanted to be or go. And, all have been good experiences.

I am so looking forward to Greenbelt. We will spend as much of our off time as possible in Washington DC,which was on my bucket list when we started full timing. There is so much to see there that we may have to become regular campers for 2 weeks after our 3 month workampers gig is over. I do not know how or why it has happened, but workamping has been very good to me.

I have had all the history at Ft. Stanton, all the beauty at Steamboat, all the amenities at Canyon Creek, and now will get to see Washington DC. Life is good!!

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Congratulations! Enjoy your stay in DC
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations, glad you got what you wanted. That's what we enjoy most about this lifestyle.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
so glad you enjoyed Steamboat!! We will be goin back in 2014 for the summer, can`t wait. Enjoy it all cause its all good.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Sounds good, we have never work camped, but have friends that have and read about it. Just listening to others it seems that the human relations and truthfulness of the management always make or break the deal, and the external opportunities that are around the park are a bonus. Have fun.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Ron,

I would go back to Steamboat Lake in a heartbeat if there were not other places I want to see.
I have never seen so many wildflowers in my life and a new one every two weeks. Will you be camp hosting or maintenance? Tell everyone that Jim Wright said "Hello".
Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Stop by the Smithsonian for me, won't you? And a few prayers at all the war memorials. Don't forget to thank them for their sacrifices while you're at it in appreciation that they fought for our rights and that our lives can be good.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Art,

The Smithsonian and the zoo are on the list. Plus several etchings at the Viet Nam Wall.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Jim, goin back to camphost in Sunrise Vista campground, my summer home for 3 yrs.!! Yep, the wildflowers are unreal, I like that for a back yard. I will say hey to them for you, was just up n talked to Kirk in Sept. he mentioned you and your wife doin maint. and working the check in shack!! was happy with you!! Cya sometime.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
Your quite correct about plenty of things to do and see in Washington DC I have lived in the area and worked for the past 45 years and still find new things. My best advice is take the subway every chance you get, traffic is heavy most of the time and stopped the rest of the time.

Good Luck
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Did you get a salary while doing this work camping or was it just for the site? We are currently with the Corps. of Eng. at a park closed for the winter and only get our site and utilities for free.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
No, I never have recieved a salary. I have heard of some operations that pay a salary, usually minimum wage, and then deduct your site rent and electricity from it. And, some that will give you a site for X amount of hours, then pay a wage on hours more than that.
There is a web site workampers. com that requires a small fee that lists jobs. volunteer.gov lists government openings.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Workamping in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
We have been so very lucky with our workamping experiences. First time, just on a whim, I volunteered for a month at Ft. Stanton NM. Second time was at Steamboat Lake State Park in CO. Now, we are at Canyon Creek RV Resort near Winters CA, between Sacramento and San Francisco. Our next job start March 1 at Greenbelt National Park MD 12 miles from the White House. Each of these places was where i wanted to be or go. And, all have been good experiences.

I am so looking forward to Greenbelt. We will spend as much of our off time as possible in Washington DC,which was on my bucket list when we started full timing. There is so much to see there that we may have to become regular campers for 2 weeks after our 3 month workampers gig is over. I do not know how or why it has happened, but workamping has been very good to me.

I have had all the history at Ft. Stanton, all the beauty at Steamboat, all the amenities at Canyon Creek, and now will get to see Washington DC. Life is good!!
Your post was in 2013. I'm entertaining the notion of workamping in the DC area. How was Greenbelt? Do you know of other opportunities in the DC area?
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
halfwright hasn't visited the MOC since March 2018. You might try sending him a PM as that generates an email notification. It is unlikely they will see this post otherwise.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote