Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Goin 4 Broke
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15975
How important/valuable is high speed internet?

How important or valuable is high speed internet at campgrounds? I personally would pay extra (like at hotels) for daily/weekly RELIABLE high speed internet access. I could stop carrying around a portable satellite dish and receivers. I could stream Netfix, Comcast or a home satelite service. To me that would be worth a few bucks more per night.

Do you think if campgrounds marketed this option they would be more popular or profitable?

Goin 4 Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Of no value to me. I never use park internet. Most of the service is so poor I immediately go back to my hotspot. After a while i just stopped testing their service. For all I know I've missed out on some exceptional service but my hotspots are consistent and always on. I have both Verizon and AT&T.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:42 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we frequently are out in the boonies we have to have the hot spot and since we're paying for it we are going to use it. On the other hand, owner operated parks like the SKP park in Lakewood, NM have WIFI for the owners and I'm told it's good.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm like davidaf it's of no value to me. I have a Verizon Mifi and that is all I use at home and on the road. 20 years ago I didn't need Internet service to run my business now I would haft to close the doors. We sell stuff in the little islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. So it's very important for out of the way people all over the world. They can enjoy all the things we take for granted.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:07 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
For me it is little value. And I don't even have a hotspot. Even though I am often on the net while not traveling, when traveling I am on it very little. And my iPhone cell signal typically gives me all the net access I need. But I am fully retired, don't need to run a business remotely, and don't stream anything.

Always annoyed me to no end how you could get decent wifi for free at economy and mid range hotels, but pay an outrageous fee for it at luxury hotels.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #6
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
I check every time we arrive at a new spot. If I can utilize the campground's internet, I do. This way I can save on my data usage for the month, now that AT&T does roll-over. We have access to 30 GB per month, but when I use .7 to 1.0 GB per day working, any help is good, and it allows the wife more time to be on Pinterest.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Use HotSpot all the time at stick house out in rural area, and most of the time on the road, and sometimes do use wifi at rv parks, but typically not for financial matters. Roll over of unused GB from AT&T seems like a good thing, We may look into that as we already have Directv.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

How important or valuable is high speed internet at campgrounds? I personally would pay extra (like at hotels) for daily/weekly RELIABLE high speed internet access. I could stop carrying around a portable satellite dish and receivers. I could stream Netfix, Comcast or a home satelite service. To me that would be worth a few bucks more per night.

Do you think if campgrounds marketed this option they would be more popular or profitable?
If they had truly "good" reliable high speeds they could probably market it and help their bottom line, or at least bring in enough extra money to pay for it.

Problem is that folks that camp a lot, or full timers probably wouldn't care because it would have to be really widespread at tons of campground before they would give up their own mobile internet service (ie. hotspot, MiFi, etc...)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
value of fast internet? it is whatever you want it to be. you will never get super fast internet at all campgrounds so if you want dependable and fast interent you will have to bring it along.

campgrounds don't seem to believe it is worth the money to have super fast internet.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are usually only at a C.G f or a overnighter or a couple of days.We do check C.G internet as it is much better than it was a few years ago. We carry a Verizon hotspot with us as we use the internet for just about everything and need good service. IMO it would not be cost effective for a C.G to provide high speed internet as folks abuse it now and would only abuse the higher speed even more.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
I would be curious to know if it is even practical to offer reliable high speed internet to dozens of simultaneous users via WIFI. Some of the providers now offer some very high speed service, and perhaps that much bandwidth would be possible. My experience has always been that after web sites morphed into data burners and streaming became popular, campground internet was useless.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #12
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Here is an interesting video that answers a lot of questions regarding campground WiFi. It was in a recent RVTravel newsletter:

http://rvtravel.com/rv-park-wifi-bad...t-parks-fault/

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote