Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
16K SuperGlide kit

I am interested in upgrading my 16K SuperGlide to the new teflon rails. Anyone have pricing info? I do have an email to Pulliam to see what they have to offer.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I think its gonna cost about 12-14 dollars per spray can...got to take hitch totally apart and clean it completely..spray parts and reassemble...re-apply as necessary...I dont use it but got the info on it..saw one with it and it apparently does come off per the user.... he just keeps re-applying it...we just clean off the grease once in a while and re-grease it...no problems so far...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
My Superglide 16k is about 8 months old. It does not have teflon on the rails but rather a nylon plate that rides on the rails. I lube the rails (topside and inside) with 3 in 1 oil as this is the lube procedure recommended by Pullrite. Maybe this plate is what you are referring to?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Here is all the information you will ever need regarding the hitch.

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_manuals.htm
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Just talked to Pullrite, 16K retrofit kit P/N 4107 is not available yet. Expected release date is early 2011, pricing unavailable yet maybe around $200 range.
Waytubes if you ever need them are pricy - P/N 3304 @ $273.61.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Is that the kit that allows you to lubricate the rails with WD-40 instead of either grease of Slip Plate? I, too, have been waiting for more info on that. Illapah, your info is more recent than mine. When they first announced these things I emailed and was told to expect the retrofit kits this Fall but looks now like it will be awhile.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Steve, Yep, them is the ones. Man I talked with said that the kit is a new table assy with Delryn (sp?) sliding material blocks installed. The waytube lube is the oil you mentioned or light machine oil. No firm price or availability rat now. Also, replacement is done with normal tools that one may have in home toolbox.
He also said that if one was happy with SlipPlate, he is not sure that he would encourage spending the money the upgrade. I also asked him about the 'silver look' on the waytubes after towing awhile. I read somewhere that this happens and is OK. He said that , Yes, the silver is normal and the SlipPlate bonds with the metal and lube is working just fine. I did note this on my waytubes and thought that I was under lubed and damaging something. I really do like the SlipPlate BTW.
I did ask also about if waytubes got galling, could they be turned over. Yes was the answer but the tubes have to be moved to the opposite side due to the way they are manufactured with slots cut in them.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Thanks for bringing up the Superglide Hitch. Took mine apart today for its annual cleaning and sanding of the way tubes. Had a bit of squeaking from the hitch and found the problem to be the saddle mount. The book says to lube it, problem solved.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Very useful information. That's the manual I got with mine.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Here is all the information you will ever need regarding the hitch.

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_manuals.htm
Old 11-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I just received a new 16K Superglide yesterday. The new Delryn sliders consist of a two piece flat spacer about 3/8" thick that matches the contour of the base of the hitch that rides on the rails and two blocks aprox. 2"X2"X5" that go between the rails. ( I'm guessing on the dimensions ) It is a pretty slick looking system. I havn't tried it yet, but expect it will work great. I won't miss the Slip Plate. I also sent them a note asking if Boeshield T-9 could be used as a lubricant. They stated they havn't tested it yet but it is a superior lubricant and rust preventative so should be fine.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the info, Lee. I have to wonder whether using WD-40 as the lubricant would allow the waytubes to collect dirt, leaves, etc. Slip Plate seems to not collect anything untoward, so far.

Illapah, we had some galling of the tubes. I used to use white lithium grease, which is one of the recommended lubricants. It was really messy and collected dirt, leaves, and other grime, so I got the instructions from Pulliam and dismantled the hitch, removed all the grease, and coated it with Slip Plate. When I stripped the grease I found some serious (in my opinion) galling. So I flipped the way tubes over and put them on the other side, as you noted. That's the only way they would work. So far I see no galling with the Slip Plate (in about 2 years).

By the way, at the 2009 Fall rally during the Pullrite seminar I noted they recommend touching up the slip plate (or grease) after "every trip." I asked how many miles comprise a trip because sometimes we'll be on the road several days in a row and don't unhitch during that time. So, no way to touch up the lubricant. They talked about it for a minute and then said 1100 miles. I rarely let it go that long nor need to but I've done 800 miles and all seemed to be well.

They also said when you see that silver on the rail, run a finger nail over it. If it's bare metal you'll know it. If it's slick, then it's fine. I still overcoat it but I do use that method to check for galling and to make sure all is well.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
After changing from the "white grease" several years ago to the Slip plate, I doubt if will change to the newer style. I also talked to Pullrite and they said that if you were happy with the spray graphite, nothing is really gained upgrading the Superglide.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I lubricate the rails and plate every time before I hitch up. I know it may be overkill but I like smooth sailing and good maintenance.