Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My Aunt-Tana

Wowzer, now to install it.
Summer broke here in Missouri, yesterday, 14 service calls, today 13 service calls, got to pull the plug on this deal soon...
Now, rain for the next 4 days....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz you either got too much time or you got too much Money or as a friend calls it big geeters! LOL. I hope you get everything done soon.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Ozz, I'm confident that you are up to the task. Just think how nice it will be to have it all installed.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Guys.
I am reading the install papers now, I see it wants a coax run directly to each receiver location. Odd, as the Direct TV installer just ran a 'slave' from the main to the second receiver. (This is for the portable dish.)
I think I will install the control box close to the dish under the area where it feeds through the roof, no need to run that all the way to the front where the main controller is. (So far in my studies anyway.)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ozz,
We're men. We're not supposed to read the instructions until we've spent three days trying to install it on our own. You are giving us a bad name.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! It's just that I am so prone to do something stupid, I need all the help I can get..
I never ask for directions, so I can still be a member of the 'Man club'
Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Oz:

Running a cable to each location is not the most flexible thing to do. As you travel around you're going to find times when you can't get satellite, or sometimes you won't get cable, or sometimes you won't get over the air very well either. You want a way to be able to do any of those, quickly and without a lot of goofing around. If you and your DW always watch the same stuff at the same time there's a cheap and easy way to do things.

Just get one DVR/receiver and a 'mirror' box. The mirror is just a little goody that takes video output from your DVR and converts it to channel 3 or 4. Make sure you get a DVR remote that works on radio frequencies, not infrared. RF remotes will work anywhere in your rig (or outside) to control the DVR. Leave your rig wiring alone and run the Wineguard to the convenience center cable input.

To run cable or antenna I just use the rigs circuits, as delivered (after you correct any Keystone wiring errors). To run satellite I connect to the convenience center then go inside where the little cable jumper is (in mine it's behind the surround sound). I pull the jumper and connect the signal 'in' to the DVR and the mirror gets connected to the other half of the jumper box to feed the entire rig. Then every TV in the place gets put on channel 3 or 4 and my DVR remote runs the whole place. The downside is every TV runs the same show.

For all you folks who do not have the coinage to spring for the Ozmobile there's a bonus. I use my outside TV to tune the dish. It's way better than working with the DW on a radio and can extend your marriage by many years.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great ideas, BUT... I want the bedroom TV to be able to watch any other show I want to watch.
I just called the Tech dept. at Winegard, I have to run 2 cables, because the port and slimline have different electronics.
But I will do that.
Problem is, that I have to un-hook the splitters the DirectTv guy put in, and switch to independent feeds. Then re-do it when I park under a tree...
Headache!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, if you had gone DISH network you would only need one receiver to watch different channels on different televisions. Oh well!

Concerning the WAG and SWAG principle, I see you are going to SWAG it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
I am not sure how Keystone did it on the new models, but since we ran dedicated feeds for the satellite to all three tv locations, I can watch satellite, antenna or cable without having to switch anything but the menu function on the television. The separate feeds for the satellite are a must in my opinion.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Measure three times, cut the hole in the roof once...!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
OK Yall Have Finaly Done It!! I am not gonna try to keep up anymore. Ozz you and Bingo and Jim are just showing Now and not even reading the CONSTRUTIONS!!!LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Can't speak for Bingo, but I excel at stupid moves, my old motto was "Why not, let's go for it!"
My new motto's are speak up, can't hear ya, and it's 9:00 and I'm going to bed...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I can speak for Bingo, and stupid moves are the mainstay of my experience. That is how we learn. We make the dumb mistakes, post them on the forum as a humbling measure, and do so in the hopes that others will not make the same stupid moves that we did!! Some of the things that I have done will rank up there with the best of them. I had a small landscaping job that I was doing for DW that involved a small waterfall fixture that we purchased at Lowes. As Paul Harvey would say the rest of the story is as follows. The project was put on hold since I had to purchase more bagged river pebbles so the waterfall was sitting in the yard and the grass needed mowed. You can see where this is going I am sure. Lawn mowers can do a number on electric cords!!! But through the experience of cutting the electric cord into pieces, I was able to learn about the applicability of liquid tape, a waterproof seal that helped me add a new section of cord to the fixture after splicing another cord and plug on with the old fashioned electrical tape. All is well now and the waterfall is operational. A stupid move but experience was gained from it nonetheless. And the best part, Bobby, is no instruction manual was required!!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
My dad called them destructions and they were to be thrown away so he could do the job the "right" way. Makes me laugh every time I think about it!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote