Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
Landing jacks

Hi. A while back I read a post on fuses blowing out when raising the jacks. Mine takes a 40 amp fuse and I blow one every 5 to 7 seconds when raising. Does anyone have the remedy to this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, John

2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you are continuously blowing fuses, you should check the landing gear to find out why. Could be something binding, or a problem with the motor itself. It could also be a problem with the switch shorting out.

On the other hand you have a circuit breaker instead of a fuse and it keeps tripping, check the things listed for fuses and if that doesn't fix it, try replacing the breaker with another of the same rating. Circuit breakers can go bad.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
You might also try putting some gear oil on the landing gear screws. Look inside the propane compartment, and at the top of the landing gear, there is a thin plate. Pry that plate off and add a shot of gear oil.

We had problems with our landing gear about a year ago, and Venture Mfg. who make the landing gears suggested we try that first. It worked for us, and we have recommended it to others with success.

Best of luck, it is a troublesome problem, and if that simple fix doesn't fix your problem, go more drastic and remove the leg....I found that mine had a bind in it from being bent. I was able to turn it 90* and relieve enough binding to make it operate smoothly.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, You don't mention the year or model of your Montana (you could put this in your signature, and it would help with diagnosing problems). Mine is an '06 3400 RL. We fulltime and, although I hate to say never, cause that's when things normally happen, in three years we have had no problems with blowing landing gear fuses. We are very careful not to overextend or raise the legs too high. Sounds like you have a binding problem. Another quick fix that Keystone told me is to spray the legs with a DRY silicone lube. Nothing wet like WD40 as it only attracts dust and dirt. I think Robbie's idea is excellent also. We were warned early on, by our dealer, to treat those legs kindly or they will cause you angst.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

John, You don't mention the year or model of your Montana (you could put this in your signature, and it would help with diagnosing problems). Mine is an '06 3400 RL. We fulltime and, although I hate to say never, cause that's when things normally happen, in three years we have had no problems with blowing landing gear fuses. We are very careful not to overextend or raise the legs too high. Sounds like you have a binding problem. Another quick fix that Keystone told me is to spray the legs with a DRY silicone lube. Nothing wet like WD40 as it only attracts dust and dirt. I think Robbie's idea is excellent also. We were warned early on, by our dealer, to treat those legs kindly or they will cause you angst.
You are DOOMED!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

You are DOOMED!
So, Phil, are you soliciting for fuses?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I pour a cap of oil on the top of the screws about once a year and you can hear the difference in the sound when you use them.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by garyka

I pour a cap of oil on the top of the screws about once a year and you can hear the difference in the sound when you use them.
That is exactly what the manufacturer suggested.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

You are DOOMED!
So, Phil, are you soliciting for fuses?
Robbie, I actually have a supply of fuses and resettable breakers, just in case.

Tom S. Please don't wish that on us. (I know you're joking)

Phil
Old 11-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
When you pour that cap of oil you might have the landing gears sitting on a tarp or you might be cleaning oil spots off your driveway. Don't ask how I know! Jim C.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Are you guys saying a cap of motor oil? Or what kind of oil?????
Old 11-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Phil, use gear oil
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Are you guys saying a cap of motor oil? Or what kind of oil?????
Phil,

Gear oil is usually 90 weight.....moves real slow, does leak out eventually, but is so thin by the time it gets there, pretty easy to clean up. It does a great job of lubing that landing gear screw.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks guys, you can tell I'm not a GEARHEAD!!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ok guys and gals, when you are talking on popping the cap off the landing gear do you mean the square cap over the square pipe to the landing gear mechanism in the LP gas storage cupboards and how hard is it to "pop" off? It looks to me on mine that it has been spot welded or something. Maybe not but sure looks like it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Ok guys and gals, when you are talking on popping the cap off the landing gear do you mean the square cap over the square pipe to the landing gear mechanism in the LP gas storage cupboards and how hard is it to "pop" off? It looks to me on mine that it has been spot welded or something. Maybe not but sure looks like it.
Ron, I have a 2006 model. I just use a thin blade to pry the cap off; it then just snaps back in when done.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

As Robbie said, use a flat knife or small screw driver. What looks like spot weld are the indents that hold it in place.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks guys! I'll check it out the next time I head out to the farm where it is stored! I already have the gear oil and will put it on the gears and shafts! We could be using it here now if it wasn't winterized already! It's been in the 60's+ and not typical for a Nebraska November! We're just waiting for the door to slam shut and the COLD weather to hit us! Enjoy the southern temps this winter and maybe someday we'll join you all!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Rondo,
after you put the gear oil on and run the legs up and down a couple of times I recommend putting axel grease on the gears. I put a large glob up there to help lubricate that area and hope when it is warm a little will work its way down to the screw mechanism.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
Thank you all for your help. John
2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote