Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hopefully a simple mod for outdoor TV connection

One of the problems we have encountered with the 3750FL is the location of the basement TV coaxial connection. I have read where others have used some kind of a swivel mount to extend the TV out past the basement compartment. When we camp, our front door always stays open, and the front door is directly in the way of viewing the television from beneath the awning (On the 3750, the door only opens to a position that is perpendicular to the rig - kind of half way open). Since we have an outdoor electric receptacle under the awning, I have decided to supplement that connection with a coax connection that I will split off of the basement feed. I ordered and received a round plastic connectors with a cover and plan to mount it beneath the electric receptacle in the plastic portion of the wheel fenders. It will serve our outdoor viewing preferences of having the television under the awning for protection and it seems to be a simple mod. I will have to drop a portion of the underbelly since on our rig, even the area above the wheels is covered by a smaller portion of underbelly material. Hopefully there won't be any surprises under there. As always, I will provide photos of the finished project and the routing path in the event others are interested. I hope to get-r-dun this weekend while we are camping in Kentucky with our good friends Bill-N-Donna. Greenbo Lake, here we come!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Bingo,
I am about to do the same thing. Here is my plan. I bought the exterior CATV connection socket for two CATV connections (Sat and Cable). I also bought an exterior 12v plug. I plan mount these near the current electrical socket. I then purchased from my Montana Dealer (Mid-America RV in Carthage, MO) the bracket that holds our Jensen TV in the bedroom. I plan to mount the wall plate to the RV next to the new sockets. I need to buy a 12v cord so I do not have to disconnect the one in the RV. When done, loosen 4 bolts, slide the TV into the bracket outside, connect the cable and power, and we are set to go. I hope to start the work in a week or two. If you route your cables before me, please let me know your path. I may even attach the cables to the underbelly with screw in cable holders. If you need more info, let me know.
Good luck,
Joe
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hey Joe,
Sounds like the biggest difference will be that you are using the bedroom TV that is 12V and I have a separate 22" LCD that I use outdoors. If everything goes as planned, I will be doing all of it this weekend so pics will be posted Sunday or early next week. I will post pics from beneath the rig as well to detail the routing path that is used. Our feed will be split off of the sat feed since we also use a Directv box outside as well (another reason for keeping everything sheltered beneath the awning.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I agree. The bracket I bought was complete, so I still have the TV bracket in reserve in case I upgrade to a bigger TV. I will have the mount in place if I upgrade. Looking forward to your install and pictures. I am trying to get everything together before I tackle all of the jobs. Installing a wired/wireless backup camera, door latches for our storage compartments, and the outside TV hookup with sockets. Have fun!
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote