Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2005, 02:30 AM   #21
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Since most of the time my Monty sits in the drive with the slides in I don't have them installed. I like to keep my slide tops clean and they are much easier to clean after each trip without the toppers. Also I can keep the seals lubricated easier. Might change my mind if I were a fulltimer.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #22
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
I'm with Glenn. During our recent two month trip, I was awakened several nights by the noise of the rain on the bedroom slide roof. I think I might just get the bedroom slide topper just to deaden the rain noise.
Life is Good.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had them on both our Montanas, since January, 1981, and if there's ever another fifthwheel it, too, will have them. The only downside I've seen is a little flapping noise in heavy winds. Believe me, we've been in some terrible winds, including up to 70 mph. They flap but they hold up well.

I do not worry about puddling water, nor ice, nor snow (have had up to ten inches up there). Yes, they sag with the weight but it just pulls more material off the roller. And when we retract the slides, the ice, snow, and water just slide off. I have never had to brush anything off of them in order to retract them.

I think this is purely a personal preference item. If anyone is uncomfortable having them and don't mind sweeping off your slides, then don't get them. Otherwise I see no reason not to have them. For us, the upside far far outweighs a little flapping in the wind.

Glen, I don't notice any rain noise on the slides. I hear a little on the rubber roof in a hard rain but not on the slides. I really don't know if that would be different without the awnings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #24
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Don't leave home without them - best investment I made for my Monty - keeps it clean and dry inside.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Next coach will have them along with the Hi-gloss.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #26
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We haven't had ours very long, but we like them. Seems like we have been faced with one wind storm after the other and the flapping was annoying. Made some "deflappers" and they work fairly well and have cut the noise considerably. Got two inch wide nylon strapping and cut it about 12 inches longer than the length of the awnings. Took some cheap rope and tied it to the ends of the webbing by tying a large knot in the rope, wrapping the nylon webbing around the rope about four inches and then winding cord around the webbing and rope to secure it. You put the webbing over the awning, line up the ends of the rope where it is handy for you to hook the ends together with a bungie cord to keep the deflapper tight. I used a 15" bungie. If you used a longer webbing, it will "buzz" in the wind and is almost annoying as the flapping.

Instead of the webbing, you can also use a length of PVC pipe and run the rope through it. Again use the bungie for tension to keep the rope tight.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bill, Is there anyway you can get a picture of this setup?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
duckshit

M.O.C. #24289
awning over a slide out

I do not like them cant clean under them well and can't care for the seals. I carry a small ladder and use a rat tail brush to clean the slide out off when Iam done camping.
duckshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
This thread is over 13 years old.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #30
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
I’ve had one Fiver without, and my new one with. Personally I like them a lot for a number of reasons already posted.

1. Sun hits the awning not the slideout roof - cooler temperature!
2. Quiets rain sound
3. Don’t have to worry about anything on slideout roof anymore.

Only drawback is on my longest slideout the awning is either too low, or too loose. Water pools in the awning and doesn’t flow off. My solution was a one dollar plastic ball pushed to the middle of the slideout roof, that causes the water to run off and pooling solved. However one would think on a Montana Fifth Wheel costing thousands of dollars, one wouldn’t have to make a trip to Dollar General to make the slideout awning work properly?
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #31
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
After the first time we camped in the snow and went to bring the slide in!! Wouldn't go all the way in because of the snow buildup. Had to go up on a snow covered roof and scrape the snow off and run it in again. Also had water coming of slide in the closed position, as the seal didn't clean the layer of ice off. NOW their covered.

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:53 AM   #32
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Appropriate to resurrect this ancient thread occasionally

I just installed them as a DIY project. Not a job for the faint hearted. It isn't a difficult job, just very time consuming, especially if you have to install the awning rails plus it takes two people and two fairly tall ladders to slide the fabric in place and attach the roller brackets.

So far we are very pleased. Ours don't flap as some owners have reported. They reduce the rain drum by a lot as I found in a very heavy storm. Then, where I park at the S&B, I no longer need to clean off the detrius from a berry producing tree and leaves are no longer staining the slide's roofs. Tempeture wise, I used black to match other trim items. We haven't had any hot days to see if that hurts but others have said that there is enough air circulation to keep heat down

One negative - the 156" (13') LR slide will pool too much water plus it will oscillate through a 2" arc while traveling. Dometic makes a cradle to control the bounce and tighten things up. Unfortunately for our HC, that cradle needs a major bracket mod to work with a 5" wide slide room flange
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #33
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
The Florida sun will destroy them in a few years. But not having them also has its draw backs on the seals. Now being a full timer and the slides are out 24/7 we made our own with corrugated roof panels. They hold up to the sun and they protect the seals and keeps the driving rain off. But we have to take them down and roll them up when or if we move. Mainly hurricane season.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never considered not having them on both our 06 3400 and now the 13 3402 for the reasons stated in this thread. We Are long timers and the slides and awnings are out most of the time. We have not yet had a slide topper fail or wear due to any reason on both of our Montana's. The OEM main awning fabric on this 3402 was just replaced as it literally came apart that is the top and bottom layer separated.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #35
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckshit View Post
I do not like them cant clean under them well and can't care for the seals. I carry a small ladder and use a rat tail brush to clean the slide out off when Iam done camping.

I just wanted to congratulate you on having the most unique user name.

Anybody could have come up with Goose...
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote