Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #21
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Pop out the rivets to take the coroplast off and use 3/8" screws with a thin wide washer to put the coroplast back in place. That's what I do.
By chance where did you get those particular screws? I would not mind having them on standby in case I have the need to remove the coroplast

Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #22
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
I picked up some at Ace hardware. They had stainless steel hex head (pricey) or non stainless. Remove and take one with you from the Monty for a match. TSC also carried them but were out of stock on stainless at the time.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I don't know if it's a good idea Jim or a lot of work. I don't think I or just about anyone else will keep there rv long enough to have the I-beams rust out.
True. But if you were building a rig from scratch yourself......then again I would do that in Aluminum frame and all.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I cleaned my entire frame up from top to bottom, front to rear (as much as possible) by sanding/scraping/wire brushing. etc. Used compressed air to blow it off real good. Sprayed 3 or so coats of rust converter followed by 3 or so coats of spray on truck bed liner. For the most part, it still looks like the day I did it several years ago.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #25
simplyrob

M.O.C. #22667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Pop out the rivets to take the coroplast off and use 3/8" screws with a thin wide washer to put the coroplast back in place. That's what I do.
Can you explain specifically how to "Pop Out" the existing fasteners? It looks like the factory used the equivalent of a Hilti Gun to shoot the fasteners in. The tip looks like a nail, do you hammer the pointed tip down and out?
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have not seen these shot in pins on RVs but since being a commercial carpenter for 35+ years I suppose one could pound them out from the top if you can get to them. I have shoot many a nail into steel. I would simply use a pry bar of some sort to tightly grasp the nails and pull them out.

The bean counter that thought of that idea should be shot. No easy access to the underside of your RV for maintenance. WTF
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #27
simplyrob

M.O.C. #22667
I totally agree. The factory shot one side on the inside of the I- beam, and another side on the outside of the I-Beam. Not sure what they were thinking when they did this as it makes it more difficult to remove the side that you cannot access the tip to hammer them down and out. I possibly have a small hydraulic leak I need to chase down which is why I may need to drop the covering toward the very rear of the 5th wheel.
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrob View Post
I totally agree. The factory shot one side on the inside of the I- beam, and another side on the outside of the I-Beam. Not sure what they were thinking when they did this as it makes it more difficult to remove the side that you cannot access the tip to hammer them down and out. I possibly have a small hydraulic leak I need to chase down which is why I may need to drop the covering toward the very rear of the 5th wheel.

No fun chasing those hydraulic leaks, they can run down the hose, and drip out anywhere. I had a pin hole in one that was dripping off the underbelly three or four feet from the front, turned out the pinhole was inside the front compartment, not far from the hydraulic pump . Ran down the hose out thru the hole the hoses ran thru, and finally dripped off a low spot in the hose .Then found a spot to drip off the underbelly.

The next leak, I nearly tore off all the underbelly chasing the leak, at that point , I removed all the hoses except for the one I replaced previously , and replaced them all. Had enough of those cheap hydraulic hoses. Of course the worst part was tearing off the underbelly ,and putting it back on. Mine is screwed on ,so it was pretty easy getting it lined back up, and a couple screw back in.

A suggestion on hoses, I shopped around locally for them, prices to have them made up were outrageous in price. I found an online vendor Discount Hydraulic Hoses, prices were very reasonable compared to locally.

To avoid "me" making a mistake , and selecting the wrong fitting, there are many that are similar, it turned I guessed right, but I still cut off one, and sent it to them after talking to them on the phone. Fittings were the same on both ends , measured the lengths, and ordered . Great customer service, and prompt shipping , no running around getting them replaced .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #29
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrob View Post
Can you explain specifically how to "Pop Out" the existing fasteners? It looks like the factory used the equivalent of a Hilti Gun to shoot the fasteners in. The tip looks like a nail, do you hammer the pointed tip down and out?
Vice Grips, then pulldown and twist.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote