Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Can someone describe for me how my plumbing is routed?

I have acquired a 5er with a less than perfectly maintained drainage system, and while I am filling both the gray and black with daily use, attempting to get them both cleaned out, I am encountering some weird issues, so I need to figure out how everything is routed under there.

So, with both valves closed, I have determined that the washer/dryer tube and the kitchen sink both bypass the gray tanks, and go straight out the sewer tube. No real big deal.

But, with both valves closed, when I turn on my black tank flush hose, I get clear "clean" water coming out of the sewer hose. Of course the water turns nasty as soon as I pull the black tank valve. If I let it run for a while, it appears to work as intended, slowly coming cleaner and cleaner over ten minutes or so.

But the water coming out BEFORE I pull the valves, is part of that flush system going to the tube after the tanks, and does anyone know if the flush is working inside the gray tanks as well?

Sometimes, when I pull the gray valve, I get very little water out of it, even if I have taken several showers and used lots of dishwater. Is this because it is filling one tank and not the second? But even if so, shouldn't they both drain when I pull the valve?

As you can see, I have to figure out how this is all plumbed so I can get the best use out of the trailer, and keep the tanks as clean as I can.

scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm pretty sure your rig is plumbed, or should be, the same as ours. The black tank flush should be plumbed to the opposite end of the black tank from where the drain valve is located. Flush water should not flow out of the drain until you pull the black tank drain valve. Your rig, if it's the same as ours has the laundry drain cut in directly to the main drain line with no drain valves, so you must be connected to a sewer drain if you have a washing machine in your rig when doing laundry. Your grey tank is the water from the bath vanities and the shower, and this is the pull valve that is next to the black tank valve. Your galley tank is from the kitchen sink only, and that drain valve is behind the driver's side tires up on the side of the frame. I find it to be easier to access that pull with the rear drivers side slide in the out position.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I'm pretty sure your rig is plumbed, or should be, the same as ours. The black tank flush should be plumbed to the opposite end of the black tank from where the drain valve is located. Flush water should not flow out of the drain until you pull the black tank drain valve. Your rig, if it's the same as ours has the laundry drain cut in directly to the main drain line with no drain valves, so you must be connected to a sewer drain if you have a washing machine in your rig when doing laundry. Your grey tank is the water from the bath vanities and the shower, and this is the pull valve that is next to the black tank valve. Your galley tank is from the kitchen sink only, and that drain valve is behind the driver's side tires up on the side of the frame. I find it to be easier to access that pull with the rear drivers side slide in the out position.
OK, so I found that 2nd galley handle

Also, my wife was visiting a friend, so I tried the black tank flush with all valves closed, and no water, so apparently, my wife was running water inside the house while I did it in the past, and made me think it was coming from the black tank flush.

So, at this point, all is working as it should be, other than the valves being VERY difficult to push in or pull out, so I will have to swap those valves out at some point.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our black tank valve pull was always difficult to open and close. I started using 4 oz of Thetford valve lube, along with a capfull of liquid Calgon and for a long time, 4 oz of Power Blue tank treatment. This helped, but they were still pretty tight. Last year I started using TankTechsRV in the black tank, and the black valve has gotten much easier to pull and close. Don't know if I've gotten stronger, but the valve moves better. I normally don't use anything in the grey tanks, so they are firm, but have never been real hard to operate.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
My washer hook up has a label that says "Not drained to any tank and needs to have the sewer line hooked up". But i got under the basement and found that our washer drain goes right to the grey tank, does any one else have the same thing?
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
My washer hook up has a label that says "Not drained to any tank and needs to have the sewer line hooked up". But i got under the basement and found that our washer drain goes right to the grey tank, does any one else have the same thing?
That seems to be standard. The old world's craftsmen slap them on every rig. That saves knowing what is actually being done by others on the assembly line.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Mine goes to the grey tank. Found out it fills the tank pretty fast after the DW ran a couple loads of laundry and then when I took a shower found myself standing in an inch or more of water in the shower pan. Now I leave the grey tank valve open until I am nearly ready to dump the black tank.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Mine says that. While inspecting the drain valves, I verified that this is in fact true for my setup.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Quote:
Mine says the same thing but found out it was not true when the washer drain overflowed and flooded our rig. Contacted Keystone about this and they said to fix the problem "Remove the Sticker"! DUH! Really?
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That's easy enough, problem solved. Next.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote