Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Perhaps you should read your post. You made it very clear how you felt. Thank you for posting your rig, I stand corrected on that issue. You have a nice set up and should be proud. However if I was that dissatisfied as you stated, I would divest myself of the RV tomorrow and buy one, I could be happy owning. Life is way too short.

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #22
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
After forty yrs of owning RVs, I now have my favorite one of all. Our Big Sky is making us very happy. There is no perfect RV, the same as there is no perfect man. I think the nearest to that is Airstream, but would not buy one because they are all metal, cold and and boring. We all have our choices. Again, IMHO. there is no 5er (fifth wheel) out there that has more value per dollar than Montana.
We are about to leave for a trip to Florida that I'm sure will be a great adventure. I am taking my tool box because I dont expect perfection. Yet, I live in a 6000 square foot beautiful home and it constantly has required upgrades and repairs for as long as I've owned it. It has a roof leak now.
After looking at the new posting on Big Sky, yes there are a few very nice upgrades, just good marketing, and if KS had not made some they would soon be history like several other super brands whose owners are now "orphans".
Let's see, 13 yrs, Montana, number one in sales. IMHO, some folks like them. No, I'm not naive. I'm aware that some few have had serious problems. They are the exception, not the rule. I'm also aware of the efforts of Keystone to make them right.
As for me, I'm determined to be a smiling face in a grumpy world. My wife and I have survived cancer and are blessed to own a World Class RV. Let's go play in our Father's beautiful yard!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #23
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
I guess we have been extremely lucky. We've had our Montana for over three years, and camp 50+ nights a year, all in State parks or National parks, and the only major problems we've encountered are; both baggage doors discolored, one replaced by Keystone, one not; the dreaded baggage door lift-bracket failure, and the Samsung TV dying, which seems to be an epidemic with Samsungs. We are extremely satisfied with the Montana product, and part of that is because of the knowledgeable and helpful members of this website. I get to retire in three years, and hope to put many more mileson her, and hopefully last at least another 10 years....., unless we can't resist the 3610 when it comes out.

James Trusty
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #24
dunrovin1955
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13868
Very well said Mr. Larry. Have a great time in Florida. Hope to see ya in the Ville this spring. Take care and safe travels. Brent
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"We've had our Montana for over three years, and camp 50+ nights a year"... With all respect we do 150 nights in the Montana in 150 days. You abuse these guys just by using them and the higher end user you are the more problems you may have.
We have already done over 600 days in this 13 3402.

In fact I do not think we had any serious issues after 150 days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #26
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Perhaps you should read your post. You made it very clear how you felt. Thank you for posting your rig, I stand corrected on that issue. You have a nice set up and should be proud. However if I was that dissatisfied as you stated, I would divest myself of the RV tomorrow and buy one, I could be happy owning. Life is way too short.
I have read my post, more than once and at no point did I express dissatisfaction with my Montana now that I have had many issues dealt with, many at my own expense I might add. What I did say was until Keystone deals with quality control and the issues that have gone on for years, no matter how pretty they make it. I have no interest in buying another Montana or any other brand and starting all over again.

For myself and my DW, who is also a cancer survivor, trading up to a larger RV was a major decision, for some that decision may not have the financial implications it did for us. We are both looking forward to heading out the end of January for 3 months, we hope most of the issues with our Montana are behind us, nonetheless we will deal with whatever comes along because I can fix most small things myself.

I am quite happy with my travel combination, when and if I decide to "divest" myself of my Montana it will likely herald a new stage in our lives. We will look forward to whatever comes our way, because life really is too short.

Now please no more advise on what I should do.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good post IRLguy. We also have said many times that our Montana's have served us well over the 7 years , nearly 8 that we have had them. I am also not shy about posting the issues we have had with them.. If more of us did we might get a better product.

In our case only the purchase of this 13 3402 Big Sky was a bad decision but it was our decision, our fault. We will correct the issues we have and deal with then ones that we will have. We have nothing against Keystone/Montana. The entire blame for the purchase of this product was ours.

This is our second Montana and as of right now there will not be a third. In fact there should not have been a second but IMO there was nothing better.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We still have our 2007 3400RL and we have not traveled that much in it, but we have lived in it - probably more than most. We have had some major issues (some self induced) and a few minor ones. However, we are very happy with our current Montana and we do not plan on upgrading anytime soon.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #29
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
As you can see for our profile we have a 2010 Montana, Mountaineer Hickory edition. We got it in 2009 and have put about 32,000 miles on it. Yes that is 32,000 miles. The biggest problems have been tires. But that problem was self inflected. No problem once I learned that the Marathon is not a 70+MPH tire. I now drive at 63 MPH and have no further issues with them. That being said the next set of tires will be LT tires. In my younger days I drove long line trucks. I learned that at high speeds things happen very fast so slower is safer. Now part retired and own a tax business in CA and living in Az Lake Havasu, I spend 7 months a year in my 5er and love it. Three months in CA running the business and Four months traveling to get out of the AZ heat. I have made several mods to my rig but have had no real problems. The ones I have had were solved or fixed with the input and advice from the MOC members. So in conclusion I would buy another Montana anytime. Just my 2 cents.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #30
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I respect the fact that many people have had issues with their Montanas. However, for many others, this is the first opportunity for them to hear about the Montanas that we own. We are on our second Montana and we will have a third, God willing. We did have a few issues, some that would be considered major items (new axles, new tires, frame flex, TV). However, as with all of the RV industry, the majority of the content comes from the same vendors regardless of brand. Firms like Lippert, Dexter, Samsung, Suburban, Goodyear, Mor Ryde, etc supply the main components in a fifth wheel. Montana has been very good over the years at listening and making changes. The MOC group has been instrumental in these changes and hopefully will continue to be a change agent in the years to come. For those with issues, I hope that they are resolved to your satisfaction. For those of you on the fence abou purchasing a Montana, there are a few things that the Montana offers that others don't. For us, the MOC is one of those things.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #31
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I second that Ron.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When purchasing a 5th wheel. Do your homework, shop around, Know what you can afford and purchase the brand that best meets all your needs and go with it. They will all have problems some major some minor some both.

I see the Montana as no better no worse than any comparable brand. The MOC forum is a great resource and we have met many, many great folks and lifetime friends . The service center is outstanding. Other brands have owner forums.

We are not shy about reporting all our problems but we have been on the road longtiming for nearly 8 years in two Montana's and they have served us well but not with out major and minor issues.

A Rv'ing friend and fellow Montana owner pointed out that we describe our Montana purchase as "the best bang for the buck" or "the best value for the money" which translates into when looking at the comparable brands we made the cheapest purchase.

We will spend 3 or 4 K to repair and bring this 2013 3402 Big sky up to long timing standards. But that is Rv'ing.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #33
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I observed at the RV show this weekend many of the SOB's were making a point to tell you that they had Dexter axles.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #34
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

I respect the fact that many people have had issues with their Montanas. However, for many others, this is the first opportunity for them to hear about the Montanas that we own. We are on our second Montana and we will have a third, God willing. We did have a few issues, some that would be considered major items (new axles, new tires, frame flex, TV). However, as with all of the RV industry, the majority of the content comes from the same vendors regardless of brand. Firms like Lippert, Dexter, Samsung, Suburban, Goodyear, Mor Ryde, etc supply the main components in a fifth wheel. Montana has been very good over the years at listening and making changes. The MOC group has been instrumental in these changes and hopefully will continue to be a change agent in the years to come. For those with issues, I hope that they are resolved to your satisfaction. For those of you on the fence abou purchasing a Montana, there are a few things that the Montana offers that others don't. For us, the MOC is one of those things.
Well said. Over the years,(started this enjoyment in 1980) we have had two travel trailers, two SOB fifth wheels, and now with Montana being our third. All of them had issues of which most were corrected by me. We liked the features that Keystone / Montana had to offer and decided to go with them.

As with our past SOBs, they also had forums that also had a wealth of information. I do find that the MOC group tends to be more of the type to do the work yourself instead of taking back for service as compared to the other forums, but the important part is the information that is shared with all these. Yes the MOC is a real good one, so far this group, from my point of view, is the best. It is always nice to learn what the weaknesses are with units, and not having to "rediscover the wheel". This allows me to correct issues prior to having difficulties on the road.

I have always found that RVs require work. It doesn't matter what brand, they all have their problems. I had always know this and I am prepared to correct problems as they arrive. I look at it this way, sometimes fixing it is part of the experience. I know some people just want to hook up and go and never have to turn a wrench. I will say typically 99.9% of our trip are uneventful. But if that .1% raises its head, I will be ready for it. It is just part of the experience of RVing.

jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #35
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Amen!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

After forty yrs of owning RVs, I now have my favorite one of all. Our Big Sky is making us very happy. There is no perfect RV, the same as there is no perfect man. I think the nearest to that is Airstream, but would not buy one because they are all metal, cold and and boring. We all have our choices. Again, IMHO. there is no 5er (fifth wheel) out there that has more value per dollar than Montana.
We are about to leave for a trip to Florida that I'm sure will be a great adventure. I am taking my tool box because I dont expect perfection. Yet, I live in a 6000 square foot beautiful home and it constantly has required upgrades and repairs for as long as I've owned it. It has a roof leak now.
After looking at the new posting on Big Sky, yes there are a few very nice upgrades, just good marketing, and if KS had not made some they would soon be history like several other super brands whose owners are now "orphans".
Let's see, 13 yrs, Montana, number one in sales. IMHO, some folks like them. No, I'm not naive. I'm aware that some few have had serious problems. They are the exception, not the rule. I'm also aware of the efforts of Keystone to make them right.
As for me, I'm determined to be a smiling face in a grumpy world. My wife and I have survived cancer and are blessed to own a World Class RV. Let's go play in our Father's beautiful yard!
vibetech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #36
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I believe if you always want to have something to work on, buy a RV. I have never heard of one without problems, even million dollar bus conversions have problems. I am real happy with my Montana. It has some things that I will change some days. It is warmer than my $330,000 motor home was
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #37
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jhudson

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

Well said. Over the years,(started this enjoyment in 1980) we have had two travel trailers, two SOB fifth wheels, and now with Montana being our third. All of them had issues of which most were corrected by me. We liked the features that Keystone / Montana had to offer and decided to go with them.

As with our past SOBs, they also had forums that also had a wealth of information. I do find that the MOC group tends to be more of the type to do the work yourself instead of taking back for service as compared to the other forums, but the important part is the information that is shared with all these. Yes the MOC is a real good one, so far this group, from my point of view, is the best. It is always nice to learn what the weaknesses are with units, and not having to "rediscover the wheel". This allows me to correct issues prior to having difficulties on the road.

I have always found that RVs require work. It doesn't matter what brand, they all have their problems. I had always know this and I am prepared to correct problems as they arrive. I look at it this way, sometimes fixing it is part of the experience. I know some people just want to hook up and go and never have to turn a wrench. I will say typically 99.9% of our trip are uneventful. But if that .1% raises its head, I will be ready for it. It is just part of the experience of RVing.
OK I have to say it, you complemented his well said, with another very well said comment!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #38
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

So I wonder what "your purpose is hanging around Montana's " that you obvisouly hate. Not sure what you own, how you used it, etc. I wound never hang around a site dedicated to products I hated? My feeling is simple. You have set yourself up for failure. Your expectations are either too high or your just one of those people who can't be pleased? I would never go through life that way! It's puts into question all your past posts. Sorry, but I needed to say it! No need to argue, your expectations on a less than $100,000 RV's are not reasonable. It's just not reasonable! I left another RV site because of individuals spewing vitriol and negativity. I am a positive happy successful guy, who prefers not to buy in to "personal vendettas"! Sell your rig and buy something else. Very simple solution!
Artemus there are many differences between you and I, for that I am most grateful. I have made many contributions to other Montana owners in dealing with their problems and have learned some things I did not know on this forum. Benefits for all who belong.

I would not suggest to you what your expectations might be regarding an RV, boat or anything else, I really don't know nor do I care. Neither would I question your purchasing another Montana or continuing to own one should you express that you have no inclination to buy another unless improvements are made in quality control and workmanship. Your choice is not my concern, whether expressed here on this forum or around the campfire.

My comments are based on a personal choice and I should not be taken to task by you for expressing that choice on this or any other forum.

No argument here Artemus, you are just way out of line in your personal attack on me for my comments.

My Profile has presented the Montana I own as well as my truck from the day I joined this forum. For the benefit of conserving space I do not always use it.

Bingo, the majority of the problems I have had with my Montana have been previously stated here in the forum, there was no need to cover that yet again in my previous post. Unlike some folks I do not mention each and every problem that comes up. It amuses me that others have stated/suggested they would not purchase another Montana for the very reasons I stated and I am the only one jumped on.

I really am quite a happy fellow, been around a long time and am very comfortable in my own shoes. I will certainly continue to own/use my current Montana, I am not even complaining about it, just in case anyone missed that fact.....

There is a group of people who consistently provide technically on-spot, concise, and accurate advise which has been extremely helpful to me, and Iripguy is one of those folks. Glad he is a forum participant.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have learned about our Montana from folks who post problems and the actions they take to correct them. We still do.
We learn nothing from folks who have issues and will not talk about them.

In our case we are not at all handy in the repair of anything. I look to the problem posted to perhaps catch a issue before it happens and that has happened many times here.

Reporting issues does not mean we "hate" our Montana's. We are reporting real issues and that is reality. I say it again. The Montana brand is no better no worse than any comparable brand and if I thought there was a better one in that category I would have it.

Montana service and their reps have always responded quickly and professionally to our concerns and problems. When our 06 3400 had the meltdown in Quartzsite and burst into smoke and flame. We made a phone call to our Regional rep in Goshen from the middle of the blinking desert and within 30 min he had a local dealer set up to haul the Montana in if necessary and
to do the repair. Now that really happened. Perhaps I should not have mentioned it.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #40
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Keystone has been working on their website yesterday and today. They took down the link and info on the Big Sky. Montana is not listed under luxury or any other list. Changes are a coming. I can tell they are still working on it. Stand by.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote