Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
That little slide thing really does change the temp in the refer--at least ours did--remember up is cold (north pole) Down is warmer (Florida)

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #22
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Is the ambient switch referred to in earlier posts the same as climate control switch? (Page 11 of your manual) Using the climate control to get rid of the water droplets might be contributing to the problem.
A long time ago I read an article on how an RV refrigerator works. The article described how it was important for the refrigerator to be level. There is an orifice that the ammonia solution goes through to make cold. If not level the ammonia dribbles out of the orifice and leaves a residue. Over time the residue accumulates and will start to clog the orifice. This reduces the efficiency of the cooling process. The article said that the damage happens over several instances of not being level and the damage was additive. Since then I have also read that the newer refrigerators are not as sensitive to this issue as older models. If I can find the article I will scan it and send it in an email for you to read. Good Luck,
John S.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
John,

You may be on to something. I was told, not sure by whom, that our refrigerator was one of the newer ones that was not so finicky about being level.

That being said, we have been sitting here with a broken spring hanger which made us unlevel that may have been when we noticed how poor the fridge was cooling. We were real unlevel, and I was monitoring the refrigerator constantly via the internal thermometer.

The spring hanger got welded yesterday, so I will continue to monitor the temperature...it seems to be working just fine on 4 (36.5*).
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Problem solved!!!???!!! Good Job John and Robbie!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Well I looked for that document. I think it went with the motor home when we sold it. I just searched "why do gas refrigerators fail" and this link described why our refrigerators are failing. http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/Why%20they%20fail.htm

Hope this helps,
John
Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
John,

Here is the operative quote out of that link:

"Never believe the stories that the newer units do not need to be run level? They are made to run more off-level than the older units BUT there is still a point where they will stop working."

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #27
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
A Dometic rep told me several years ago "If you don't pick up speed walking from one end of your rv to the other you're OK", but I still like to keep it kind of close.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

A Dometic rep told me several years ago "If you don't pick up speed walking from one end of your rv to the other you're OK", but I still like to keep it kind of close.
Depends on which direction the bathroom is located!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #29
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
How true!!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just developed this problem.. Everything is frozen in the Fridge.... The temp is 20 degrees. Happened over the last few days. have tried everything and can not get the temp up. The temp control is set at 1 ... I don,t understand what the slider does as the wire is not connected to the slider. Never had a problem before....does it ever end/////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #31
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Rich,
You are too cold, Robbie was too warm. Where's OZZ? He's the refrigeration guy. Maybe he can shed some light on the issue. I have at times had frozen lettuce when against the back wall and not a clue what caused it. Is it possible your freezer door is not sealing and letting the cold into the refrigerator compartment? Just a guess.
John
Old 11-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #32
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich:

I had the same freeze-up situation when my thermistor went bad--the thermistor is the temp sensor that you slide up and down on the fins in the frig. When the thermistor goes bad, it causes the cooling unit to run continuously because it never gets the signal that the frig is cool enough--and that causes things to freeze up. If it's the thermistor gone bad, the only solution is a new thermistor.

As best as I can remember, one test the techs did on my thermistor to determine if it was bad involved measuring the voltage across the leads (where the wires from the thermistor plug into the connection near the light) when the thermistor is stuck in a glass of ice water and when it is later warmed up (e.g., by holding it in your hand). If the voltage stays the same under both conditions, then the thermistor is bad.

Good luck.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can find nothing in the book about checking the thermsistor, as a matter of fact nothing about the thermsistor. The leads for our thermosistor go through he back wall of the fridge. That does sound like the problem tho??? Lookng at the PT50C we do not see the fridge drawing constant amps indicating that it is " always on??
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was 10 degrees in the fridge this morning. Everything frozen solid. At least 100/150.00 worth of food ruined. This RV lifestyle is starting to wear on us. Continual failures..it never ends. I have always said these things are not built for the use some of us put them to and after 3 years that is proving correct. Purchasing a single wide here in Florida is starting to make more and more sense to us.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #35
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Rich,
I believe you said in a previous post that the wire is not connected to the thermistor. There has to be something connected to it, otherwise the fridge runs all the time
Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Poor wording... The thermister is not connected to the plastic slider. The slider is only a holder for the thermistor. Took some voltage readings this AM based of David's post and the voltage at the board does change..but I do not know what the voltage should be??? the voltage was 1.25 VDC and when heated .85VDC. Have no idea what that means..will call Dometic Monday.. This is gettng old...

Also do not know what any of the readings should be E I or R. Since these are no doubt not High quality We have no idea what we should be seeing.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #37
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, I would consider getting a residential type fridge. If you don't boondock, they will work just fine. Several of the folks here have gotten them from Lowe's. They have a model that will slide right in where the Dometic comes out. I had considered that, and was worried about it coming open while traveling, but we've been looking at the "extended stay" models, and they simply have a strap that goes across the front to keep them shut.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Actually Will we have considered that and when this thing goes belly up we will do just that. We have a residential type upright freezer in the back of the 3400 and we run a strap around it when traveling to keep the door from opening. It works well. We have experimented with traveling with the fridge off and we can run 8 10 hours without it getting to warm in there. You can buy a suitable strap at wall mart.

Update.. Problem solved. We are not happy about the 150/200.00 of ruined food....In a previous life I was, so they tell me, a person highly skilled in Electronis for the Federal Aviation Adm. I have tried to purge all that knowledge from my memory cells so there is room or more pleasent things..Like palm trees swaying in the Warm Florida breeze or waves lapping up on the sandy shore. Howver if I squeeze mt eyes shut and wrinkle my brow some of that stuff comes back. Although we knew nothing about this thermistor we applied what we could remember about thermistors and with the help of my handy dandy triplett VOM determined that the probable cause was a defective thermistor. Called Camper World, They had one in stock..12.34 with discount. Helen figured how to install it and all is well... It just never ends..There are 3 or 4 real nice single wides for sale here.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #39
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Wel Rich i was sure with your skill that you would figure it out (with Helens help of course) but glad you got it going noy you dont need a new one......
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks to David for pointing me in the right drection. The temp went from 10 degrees to 33 degrees with the temp control set at 1. I still think 33 degrees is to cold and will have a chat with Dometic in the AM.