Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
What tires are best

so with all the tire talk ,, which tire tire do you realy think is best as the front tires are 5/8 gone as keystone replaced the rear tires at about 5900 miles as the axel went straight.. now the front tires are almost gone as we have maybe 13000 miles on it so should we just buy 1 tire a mission and add the spare or do we go to michlin or goodyear the tires on it now are 235/80/16 with a load E on the tire i always run at 80 lbs so now what
i have 3 choices what are the answers john

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My personal preference is and always will be Michelins (simply because they last longer than any others I have tried). Buy them for work vehicle (well company does anyway), buy them for DW's vehicle, going to buy them for DD's vehicle (gosh - 16!!), will buy them to replace Generals on TV when they need replaced, so will replace Missions with Michelins next year on the Monty, if the Missions last!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe LonnieB and/or Glenn can tell you which tires may be best for our usage since they have/are both tire dealers.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
It's hard to go wrong with Michelin, they make an excellent high mileage tire. I have worn out many sets over the years, and have them on the DW's truck now. I run Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts on my truck, and I just replaced the Missions on the camper with Bridgestone Duravis R500 commercial LTs. The Missions only have around 2600 miles on them, and look to be in good shape, but I have been wanting them off since I bought the trailer.

On Edit - All 5 Missions are stacked in the warehouse looking for a new home. I can't ethically sell them to anyone, it just wouldn't be right, but anyone wanting them can sure have them.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Me personaly? I put Michelin's on my TV last spring and since than have put on over 20,000 miles. They are are looking a whole lot better, tread wise, than any other tires I have used in recent years.
Unless something comes along to change my mind, I will be putting Michelin's on the Monty When the time comes.
I will also be changing from the STs to the LTs. My reasoning on changing to LTs is a simple one. I have learned from my own experience that, unless you want to special order them, it can be very difficult finding STs on the road.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I got these Dunlop Radial Rover RV XT LT235/85R/16 load E @ Canadian tire for $128.00(Can) back in April of `05 and they are just like new today. I`ve had Michelins before on my TV and they performed excellent. I also had them on my Dodge mini van and went thru them in less than 18 months. Must of got a bad set. The wife drove the MV back and forth from Windsor to Detroit to work everyday and that was basically it and they underperformed for longevity. As Glenn says the LT`s are just fine for the 5ver, the Mountaineer came with brand new Tacoma LT`s same size but junk as far as I`m concern.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between LT's and ST's?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I am told lt is lite truck and st is trailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
There are several differences between LT (light truck), and ST (special trailer). Construction, rubber compounds, weight rating, and speed rating are the most obvious differences. Do a search in the archives and you will find several posts dealing with this subject. Beware though, some get fairly heated.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, agree with Glenn and Lonnie on the Michelin recommendation. I grew up under the guidance of my father working in his garage changing tires and observed him always suggesting this brand is what ALL other Manufactures strive to achieve in quality and durability. That was over 35 years ago...! This statement combined with these two folks still commenting on this supplier as top tier makes a significant point.
When I was just a kid...none of the US Mfr's could get the metal cords bonded consistently to allow them to be recognized as a tire supplier equivalent to Michelin...Dad, said so and I trusted and believed in what he communicated to family, friends, and strangers that would listen...
Today...I am so jealous at his return to his real love...flying, hence my sig pic...yep, 70 yr old asking me to come home so he can take me up in a glider, he's been certified to inspect planes, repair them, fly small powered planes, tow gliders skyward, and now take passengers on a non-powered flying vehicle!
What is wrong with me...panic everytime my trailer breaks, yet DW says; you'll fix it and I fret and moan, then seem to fix it.
Oh, so sorry, sailer....message is Michelin!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We had great luck with our Mission tires. We went all over the country, all different terrain, and never had an issue. After three plus years of heavy use, we needed to replace them. The tire dealer had Firestone and we had them put on in September. Since then, we have noticed about a 2 mpg improvement in our mileage, with that being the only change. We were around 9 and just got back from Colorado and averaged around 11. It's too early to tell how well they will hold up, but I am pleased so far. I also use a laser inferometer to check tire temperature on a frequent basis to make sure that I'm not getting a hot wheel. Underinflated tires are one thing I really concern myself with and eventually will get the tirepro pressure monitoring system.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
For years everyone has raved about Michelin's so I recently put a set of of LTX M/S on our 2500 HD. I have had 3 other brands of tires on this truck and it has always handled superbly when towing. Passin semis were no problem and many times we didn't realize there were stiff crosswinds till we stopped and opened the doors. At NO time was I ever apprehensive about the way the truck was handling. Well let me tell you, it was a whole different ball game with the Michelin's. It was downright scary. Semis sucked me in and then pushed me away and we were all over the lane in moderate to light cross winds. I took the truck back to Discount Tire where we purchased the tires and they swapped the Michelin's out for a set of BFG Commercial T/A's and the truck handles well again. Now I know thousands of people can't be wrong, but I sure would like to know what caused this.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

On Edit - All 5 Missions are stacked in the warehouse looking for a new home. I can't ethically sell them to anyone, it just wouldn't be right, but anyone wanting them can sure have them.
Lonnie, just lost an OEM Mission from Tireco. Shredded into pieces and damaged the skirting. Your conscience is sound in not selling them but I'd not give them away either as they're - in Keystone's and Tireco's own words - the worse tires that can be put on a trailer.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

I really like what I have read about the Goodyear
Unisteel G614 RST. I haven't found another trailer
tire, G rated, with a 75MPH rating. For the TV, I
probably go with Michelin's when I get new ones. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

For years everyone has raved about Michelin's so I recently put a set of of LTX M/S on our 2500 HD. I have had 3 other brands of tires on this truck and it has always handled superbly when towing. Passin semis were no problem and many times we didn't realize there were stiff crosswinds till we stopped and opened the doors. At NO time was I ever apprehensive about the way the truck was handling. Well let me tell you, it was a whole different ball game with the Michelin's. It was downright scary. Semis sucked me in and then pushed me away and we were all over the lane in moderate to light cross winds. I took the truck back to Discount Tire where we purchased the tires and they swapped the Michelin's out for a set of BFG Commercial T/A's and the truck handles well again. Now I know thousands of people can't be wrong, but I sure would like to know what caused this.

Were the Michelin's 10 ply rated? Anything less could cause sidewall
flex, and could sway with heavy loading.

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
8.1al,

That is one of the reasons I don't run Michelins on my truck anymore. Michelin has the softest ride of any load range E (10 ply rated) tire on the market. They achieve that by having a very soft sidewall construction as compared to other tires. Their sidewall allows for more flex, softening the bumps in the road, but in my opinion, they sacrifice stability when pulling heavy loads.

I still believe they are the best tire built, and when you calculate the cost per mile of useable life, they are probably the least expensive. JMHO.

On Edit - Steve and Brenda, not to worry. I wouldn't even GIVE them away to anyone wanting to put them on a camper. A friend of mine took them today to use on one of his ranch trailers. It probably never sees more than 30 mph, and never runs on the highway.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Lonnie
I won't deny that they make a great tire but I wouldn't wish them on anyone hauling a heavy trailer

Kerry,
The Michelins were load range E at 80psi
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #18
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Is it better to have more flex in tire side wall if so would a Michelin xps rib work or would a stiffer side wall such as a Bridgestone r 250 all steel be better or none of above
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #19
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
sorry meant to say for trailer use
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
As far as the question goes the answer has to be the tire with the least problems. Never goes flat, never blows out etc. So it must be the ones in the stores as they've had no problems-)))). Or you could do as some contrators have done and put the foam inside the tires to make them solid. Never a flat with these. Don't know about blow outs. Would they get hotter faster and blow? Ride would be rougher, sidewalls would stand up to all of the over loading. axle may go if over loaded. Its all a trade off.-)))))
Chuck
ps comments made are in fun / humor.
Lonnie B is in the business and will give knowledgeable answers to these tire questions
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote