Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
moving with slides out!

randye here,I have a question. We are still workamping in Olympia Wa. Two couple have left and another one is leaving the 18th of Sept. We have committed to staying the winter. We are under some trees, I am concerned about the mess that the rain and maybe snow could present to the fiver. We have talked to our managers and the site fifteen feet next to us, is just out from under the trees. It also have a back yard that we don't have now. My question is, I only have to pull ahead about 40 feet and back up into the next site, can I do so and leave out the slides without doing any damage to them? Its such a hassle to close up everything for such a sort move. Thanks for you opinions, randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have thought about doing it and have stopped each time. I feel the extended position would put more stress on the 5th than having the slides in the "transport" mode. I guess the phrase "transport" says it all. Take the time to pick up bring the slides in and then set up again. Also it does exercise the hydraulics and lubricate the pistons.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We moved ours to another spot, even closer than you want, but pulled our slides in. It was an easy move. Does not take long. You have to unhook everything anyway, so we just carried stuff to the new site, and was easy to hook up.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by randye

randye here,I have a question. We are still workamping in Olympia Wa. Two couple have left and another one is leaving the 18th of Sept. We have committed to staying the winter. We are under some trees, I am concerned about the mess that the rain and maybe snow could present to the fiver. We have talked to our managers and the site fifteen feet next to us, is just out from under the trees. It also have a back yard that we don't have now. My question is, I only have to pull ahead about 40 feet and back up into the next site, can I do so and leave out the slides without doing any damage to them? Its such a hassle to close up everything for such a sort move. Thanks for you opinions, randye
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Can't say you would do any damage but I also can't say you wouldn't do any damage but I can say "Why take the chance?"
Even if it took an hour to pull the slides in another hour to put them out it would still be a lot less time than getting the slides repaired or replaced.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
randye,
I don't know for sure if it would hurt anything but idea makes me a little queasy. I think I would put them in
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There are a lot of RV dealers who do it all the time. However, they are usually on flat, paved, parking lots and they don't move them very far. If I were you, I'd take the time to pull them in and then move. You won't be sorry.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
You don't have put everything up and away. We have moved ours on our property a few times. Just move things out of the way enough so you can put the slides in. Leave things on the counter, they won't move. I would make sure the sliding mirror doors are in place. Plus, I would think that you couldn't see very well if the slides were out, especially if you have to back in.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I think it would be good just to move the slides after being extended for a long period of time. I don't think I would move mine with the slides extended.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I've never tried to pull ours with the slides out, but IMHO, I would take the 90 seconds it takes to pull the slides in to move the Monty any distance at all. That way, I know that there wouldn't be any damage to the slides.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
randye, You need to put your slides in and out every few months to keep the hydraulics in good working order. If you don't rust can build up on the piston that is exposed to the outside and that will eat the seals out when you do use them. That will cost a a good penny to get them removed and rebuilt.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:11 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
randye,

DON'T DO IT!!

Besides, with the slides out and you are backing into the site, how are you going to see where your coach is going?
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #12
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've only seen a trailer moved one time with slides out....its was during a flood and the waters were rising so fast that all the couple had time to do was hook up and go about 200 yds. No damage but it was an emergency.. I would never move with sides out...too much to lose and too little to gain.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
We would never take the risk. It may be a "hassle" to move everything inside for such a short trip, but what if..........
Take care.
Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I am with all the others, put the slides in. It is a lot safer to put them in than to take a chance on doing some damage.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #15
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
My first thought also was, how can you see when backing up?! Takes only a few minutes to pick up stuff and move in slides. As Wife of Dano says you don't have to put everything away. Will take less time than it takes to read this thread! Please don't risk it!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
It would be safer to put the slides in and I find it a lot easier to hook everything up with the slides in. Also easier on your head with the bedroom slide in
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree also on putting the slides in, It cant be that much work moving stuff out of the way to get them in. just a push of a button, I also agree with Dale on parking it.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
What is the big deal about the 90 seconds to put the slides in and out , better than somthing broken that will cost tons of dollars and a month to fix john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote