Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Changing shocks on a Montana

I have a '03 34' Montana Big Sky that I'm considering replacing the shocks on. I bought it used in January so I don't know how many actual miles are on it. They look like they could use replacing: the rubber bumpers are shot and the shock bodies are pretty rusty. Has anyone replaced their shocks? If so where did you obtain your new shocks? It doesn't look like too much of a chore to change them once I have them.

We took our first longish trip last week and on rough hiway the ride was pretty jerky. There was a 10 mile section of I-29 that had been scarified and was extremely rough with big chunks of asphalt not removed. We got bounced around pretty good and are trying to see what we can do to improve the ride. We tow with a '01 Dodge Dually diesel quad cab. We are considering one of the suspended pin boxes to go with our Turnover Ball Companion hitch. Any advice, clues, suggestions, etc. will be enthusiastically received.

HowardCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can only share from my experience which doesn't include replacing the shocks. However, I am using the 5th Airborne pin box replacement and have found it to absorb a significant amount of the effects of riding over rough roads. Some of the roads we traversed to and from the Branson rally in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma gave us a thorough testing of the equipment.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Thanks for the input, I'm considering the 5th Airborne or the Mor/Ryde. I think those two are at the top of my list.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The problem is that you can't make a comparative test ride. You have to read the hype, listen to the anecdotal comments of we owners who wish to justify our purchase and then decide. Hoping you make the best choice.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
No kidding! Everyone seems to feel they made the right choice when they opted for the combination they have. It can make deciding which one to get a bit of a crapshoot at times. I want to go to a zero extension pin box when I get the one I want and 5th Airborne says they can't do that so that may leave them off the (admittedly short) list.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi HowardCh, I would suggest you might consider pulling one and seeing if you could find a replacement knowing its stroke length extended and retracted.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/monro...e=retrofit_kit
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Thanks murf, that was the only place I could find that looks like it caters to 5er's. Hard to believe that Monroe is the only shock builder that makes them for trailer/5er's.

Noneck, I'll have to do that but was hoping to find a site to just order them without that. Looks like I'll have to do it the hard way. Bummer.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
Howard, this is the co. i used a couple yrs. back whe i put new shocks on our '03 montana. shock shop in newark ohio,740/345-8949 .

i had to take a shock of and measure end to end compressed and extended. told them i wanted heavy duty they sent gabriels. hope this helps. hodag
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Thanks Norm, I appreciate it. Looks like I'm going to have to pull and measure a shock whether I like it or not. Oh well, there are certainly worse things. By the by, did it help the ride any/much/a lot?