Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Securing FW Hitch

Hello,

Does anyone have suggestions on how to secure/lock the fifth wheel hitch to the bed of the truck? We have a 16K Husky EZ Glide with four pins held in by cotter pins. I'm sure that if anyone wanted to steal it, they would no matter what but I would like to make it as difficult as possible! Are there special locking devices such as those for a receiver? If so, where can I get them? The dealer didn't know what I was talking about. I know you guys have the answer! Thanks in advance...

Harv & Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I pulled the pins and drilled holes in them large enough to put in keyed alike pad-locks. I used the brass ones so they dont rust. It might be a little over kill but I did it on a rainy day when I didnt have anything else to do.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure they work on Huskey, but Reese makes lockable pins.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I have also thought about the possibility of someone stealing the hitch, but have not found a solution . I have considered replacing the cotter pins with bolts and double nuts, it might slow down the theft process a little bit. So for the time being I am hopping that it is too heavy for one person to remove.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
We got our lockable pins at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. We bought Brinks security locks and put on them.(Brass) No one has messed with it yet. Hope this helps.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i guess i figured it was toooooooo heavy as i have a pullrit hitch but also you need somone that wants a 5th wheel hitch ,, i don't feal its a problem but then again i have a sliding cover for the truck and i leave stuff in the bed and lock it when not pulling ,, its a roll-n-lock cover.....john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I am sure it has happened but I have never heard of anyone having their hitch stolen. I place the cotter pins so they are under the hitch.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
They make little clips that fit over the pins where then you can put a lock threw these clips.I also have never heard of a 5er hitch walking away-but you never know these days.I have these little clips on all 4 pins.

They will never be able to steal the hitch-JUST the whole truck!!!!!
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I tried most of the suggestions listed above except for drilling the holes larger on the Reese base. I did not want to sacrifice support for the bracket against locking it. Thought I would rather lose the hitch than have it break with the camper on the back.
However, I found a solution at our local ACE hardware store that will keep honest people honest, and will slow down any thief that thinks they can get it quick. Master Loc markets a Heavy lock that is on a 6 foot cable with the lock attached. Not the one with the loop ends on the end, but the lock is permanently attached to one end and the loose end will feed back through it and is key locked.
I ran the loose end between the bottom rail and through the slider portion of the bottom part of the hitch. I then fed the loose end through a bolt hole in the top part of the head part of the hitch and back to the lock end. Adjusted the length and then locked it.
The cable is very strong and is still stiff enough, that when I slide the unit, it does not catch on the bottom tube of the slide. It works well with the hitch, slide and head assembly.
Also, I added a small Gorilla lock from my previous Travel trailer head assembly (you could use a small padlock) to lock the release handle when I am gone. Don't want someone fooling around with my hitch release while I am in Wally World, then standing back and watch me drive out from underneath it for a friday night laugh.
If you are interested in the lock assembly, I'll see if I can get the info from the lock itself.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As said before just pull the pin and drill them holes out and put the brass pad locks in and forget about it. The tragic thing is when some dummy wants to cause you a lot of damage is for them to put the pins and watch you drive off and it pulls you 5th wheel hitch out of your truck and the 5er hits the ground. I have never heard of someone having their 5th wheel hitch stolen out of their TV. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I thought about locks, but instead opted for an ExtangRT roll up cover...hopefully the hitch is out of sight and out of mind. However, if we aren't going to be using the Montana for a while, I remove it. The Husky comes out in two pieces and is not heavy.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thank you for ALL your suggestions. I think a trip to the local hardware is in the near future! I never thought about somebody pulling the pins as a joke, guess I'm too trusting! I'm leaning more towards "joke proofing" it more then "theft proofing" now!

We spoke with someone at CW and they said they have a set of four locking pins for around $20, but you have to order them and pay shipping. I'm not sure if they will fit our Husky, but sounds like it is worth a try. Maybe they are the ones bsmeaton is talking about from Reese.

Delaine & Lindy: drilling a hole in the pin does not lessen the strength at all? Your suggestion makes sense, but I hesitate. It's worked for you though!

Anyhow, thanks again everyone. Have a nice weekend!

Harv & Sue
Old 05-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #13
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

They make little clips that fit over the pins where then you can put a lock threw these clips.I also have never heard of a 5er hitch walking away-but you never know these days.I have these little clips on all 4 pins.

They will never be able to steal the hitch-JUST the whole truck!!!!!
We've been using these as well, mostly to keep someone from tampering with the hitch. Using 2 locks keyed alike; 1 for these, and 1 for the release handle. One less key to carry. I would be leary of any modifications to the hitch, however harmless they appear.

happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #14
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
In reference to the clips that fit over the pins, I can't picture it. Do you have a photo that would illustrate, or a source I can reference? It's probably something very simple, but all I can see is a pin with a cotter pin through the hole. Where does the cover go and how can it secure? Sorry for the stupid question....

I agree with your comment on modifying the hitch in any way.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #15
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Here's a link to illustrate the pull pin lock plates:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-58093.htm
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #16
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Go to Reese's web site they sell a set up to lock your hitch to the rails using the pins that you already have all you have to do is invest in a good lock. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 AM   #17
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
After checking there web page go to fifth wheel hitches then acc. the part number is 58093. Good luck. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thanks everyone...As it turns out, the Husky pins are different from Reese. Husky has a hole for the cotter pin and Reese has a groove on the end but they appear to be the same in every other way (1/2"). Since we can't seem to find locks for the Husky, we will interchange the Reese pin/lock system. You have given us some great resources here....THANKS!