Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Filling fresh tank from city hook-up

When filling the fresh water tank when hooked to water thru the city hook up (flipping the lever in the convienance center to fill), how do you know when the tank is full?

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wingerfill,

When you fill, be sure to open the rear gravity fill hatch and open the fill cap. It will help vent the tank and will run out when full.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Check the water tank gauge or when water comes out the tank overflow line by the filler cap, although the overflow method is a little messy
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Why would you want to fill the tank and lug all that weight around...unless you are going to do some long term dry camping...nearly 500 lbs?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bert, counter balance, it will take some of the weight off the pin. Anyway that diesel won't know that extra 500 pounds is back there.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Remove over flow cap and flip the power fill lever, when full water will run out the over flow cap. However our fresh water tank holds a 100 gals of water and all my tanks are in front of the axles. It would add weight to the pin, however we do take on water just to flush the John. Ever place we go there is water. We don't do any boondocking. We don't camp we are Rv'ers. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also use the overflow method to determine when the tank is full. I've not found a better method.

We often run with 2/3 to full in our water tank for several reasons.

Sometimes when we overnight we do not connect to the park's water.

We use the rig on the road and need flush water.

Sometimes we are in a park where even filtered water doesn't taste good. We fill when we have good water.

Occasionally a park's water supply will be shut off for whatever reason.

Last year in Fredericksbug, VA, our park told everyone to not use the water because of e coli contamination. We could purchase water but having our own is better.

It is a lot of weight but my Ford doesn't seem to notice the difference so I don't worry about it. It probably does have some minimal impact on mileage but not enough I've been able to determine how much. So, I guess the answer for us is we like the convenience and are willing to pay the weight penalty. I realize that doesn't work for everyone but it does for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just my thought on running 2/3 tank. The weight savings of the 1/3 water would not seem to be worth the trauma on the tank from hauling a partially full tank. I know they are designed to haul and any level, but they do not have baffles and they are low profile tanks. That water surge slapping back and forth and side to side just can't be doing that tank or it's mounts any good.

When possible, I always travel with the tank(s) full or empty and avoid inbetween levels. Guess it comes from my firetruck days when a half full tank on a heavy tanker could leave you wheels up in the field if you weren't careful.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I haul w/ 1/3 full, but lately having trouble with the pump. On my list for my dealership visit 4/25. When the fresh water tank sensor reaches 1/3 full (going down), my pump starts sucking air. Either a problem with prime or sensor is off. I know what my tank should have in it by now - with or without a sensor. Somethings off. Will probably run closer to 1/2 full down the road until I get to my dealer...

Wingerphil, With your tank fully drained, turn on the CG water, flip your valve to "Fill" then run in and have a nice comfortable seat in the stairs and watch your sensor. Have to keep pushing the button, but you will eventually get the feel of the timing on this - although each CG water press will vary this timing.

When your tank is past 2/3 full, then go around and watch your overfill as the others have suggested here. I also take off my cap as very strong CG pressure will fill faster than your vent can release press. Sometimes faster than the vent AND fill hole can both release pressure. Some are smiling here as they know what I am personally talking about...

Did you know you can actually get the inside carpet wet above the fresh water tank on a 3400???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
One other time we fill the tanks is when we are camping in cold weather. We shift to internal water and drain the hose so it doesn't freeze.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Next time you go to the factory and take the tour note how the tanks are secured to the camper. You may have second thoughts about hauling @ 500 bouncing lbs around. We do keep @ 1/3 in a tank when on the road. Brads comment is worth noting..Had the same problem hauling a 1500 gal water tank around.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Might want to get input from Judy (jrgwdenner). Glen and Judy dropped their fresh water tank out of the bottom of their Montana while running down the road in Alaska...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #13
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Thanks for the responses. Most of the State Parks here in Indiana only have electric hook ups so we haul water from home when going to them, plus I only have to drag out 1 hose to reach the city fill.

Thanks again,

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I keep my tanks full for several reasons, most have already been mentioned. For the most part, if in storage, and in the winter time, it is harder for a full tank to freeze up when not in use.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Native Tex...That night work in Texas but in Northern Ohio you would have several large blocks of plastic coated ice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dsprik, our sensors are way off. When filling the tank the 2/3 light comes on after about 3 minutes but it takes 16 minutes to fill the tank at whatever psi we were at.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, it is possible that my "1/3" sensor could be a problem. I will have it checked out. I definitely need to do some quieting down procedures on my pump now. Seems to have gotten marginally louder over the past several months.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
its tooo much weight in the unit to haul water , its cheeper to stop and buy water for drinking , how much do you drink , go to beer or wine , its better for you and won't rust your pipes
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Drink. Shower. Flush. Brush teeth. Wash hands. Wash face. Etc. We use lots of water. Free water in the CG. Tank in the Montana for just that purpose. Truck doesn't care about that extra weight. It's worked well for a long time so we'll keep on doing it this way. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Oh, yeah, almost forgot. I carry water with me wherever I go and drink it while driving even. Probably not a good idea to be drinking beer or wine when driving! However, when parked....
Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 AM   #20
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
We've gotten some really skunky water while on the road, so we bring bottles of water for drinking and cooking. Whatever we get on the road is good enough for flushing and washing. I wish I really knew if hauling around a full tank of fresh water was detrimental to the tank, even though it would seem that an empty tank would be much better.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote