Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Landing gear problem

When I was raising my Monty off the hitch the landing gear stopped raising. I pulled the top off the leg and the motor would work but was not turning the gear in the leg. When the motor was working it sounded like something was slipping (clunking) in it but not turning the shaft. Are there shear pins on the motor side?? Any other suggestions...I couldn't see the screw shaft but there was grease on the gears...Do you think I should pour some oil down the legs? Many thanks.

Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Yes, there are pins on the metal shaft that goes from the motor to the other side, located in the front right compartment, probably on the right side. Many of us carry extras, I know that doesn't do you much good right now. I think you may be able to use a 1/4 inch bolt temporarily. If not someone will be along soon to give exact info.....If you can see the grease I wouldn't add any more. This is an item that needs watching though.....The key to raising and lowering these legs is to do so with as little stress as possible. Do not extend or raise the legs all the way to the stop as you could blow a fuse or shear a pin....

Phil, Retired AF Medic '66-'86
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
I cleaned the grease away fron the gears in the landing gear and found 4 teeth missing from the side gear....these teeth sheared off as I was lifting the pin box off the hitch in order to unhook from the Montana. To me that seems just a little weak area to be lifting 2400 lbs off the hitch. When I hooked up Friday, I raised the trailer to hookup and then lowered it to the hitch--then yesterday I raised it up to unhook. Neither time did I hit bottom or top and heard no sound of breakage. Gotta call Venture and see what to do. I am now in the RV park and can neither raise or lower the trailer....What a way to start my "Snowbird" vacation. :-)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Well I found out the landing gear on my Monty is made by Lippert. Keystone turned me down because my warranty had expired in August, feeling I had probably over extended or over retracted the gear.
Keystone's answer:

"Thank you for writing to Keystone RV. We have carefully reviewed your email and the reply from Venture Mfg. We understand from the technical department that under normal use and conditions, their materials are robust and should not suffer from deterioration with normal use, and we assume, with the infrequent use as you stated. We do note that Venture states improper use of the landing assembly, i.e. over extending (which they did not mention) or over retracting can cause issues with the components breaking.

Keystone provides each owner with a One Year Limited Warranty. We show that we did participate with the warranty requests presented within that time period. You unit warranty expired on 8/10/2011. Given the above information, we regret that Keystone will be unable to participate with the repairs requested."

I've been traveling in 5th wheels since 1994 and have gone several thousand miles with several different 5ers and have yet to break a landing gear. Anyway Lippert called me last night and told me they were sending me two rebuild kits today, for which I'm overly thankful. I'm proud to see a company stand behind their product for a change. Now, off to work.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
I received my gear sets from Lippert, got the leg disassembled and had gotten the wrong gears. My gears in the Montana were noticable larger than the ones sent by Lippert. Called them and we could not determine just exactly which legs I had. They offered to send two new legs as a goodwill gesture, now that is support with a capital S. Now I just hope I can get my TV under it for support. I sure want to thank you guys that PM'ed and emailed me with suggestions. You guys rock and that's what makes the MOC great.......
Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
I had the same problem this summer on my 2011 3400RL. What we found was that shear pin, a bolt with a nut, broke into 3 pieces. There is a square shaft that goes from the landing gear motor across the compartment to attach to the landing gear. This was on the door side gear. To get to it the tech. had to enter through the battery compartment. The bolt was replace with a grade 5 bolt and nut both sides were replaced. I am thinking about installing an access door on the basement wall for future access.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
On our first trip we had landing gear failure. I had one hydraulic jack with me. Realizing I would need two to raise the Monty, I now have two. Just another one of those things we do. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Landing gear problems are with us also. Found the bolt on passenger side broke in half and pulled out. Thats how I noticed it. Replaced the bolts with hardened bolts, and thought things would be right. Tried raising landing gear and it wouldn't move. Put 5 ton hydrolic jack under frame with 4x4 wooden block along frame to raise and take weight off landing leg. This seemed to help with raising and lowering the unit. I can raise and lower it now. It still sounds like the drive motor is dying?? The jack travels with us werever we go. I do not like the play between the gear shaft and the square tube that bolts to it. It may be that play that caused the bolts to snap working motor back and forth?
Also, being that the generator box blocked access to passenger side bolt, I drilled two 1/2" holes above each other above the shaft hole and spread the metal apart to help with putting in the new bolt. Be careful not to drop the bolts there, because you have no access to retrieve them. Use 1/4-20 X 1-1/4" length on motor side and 1-1/2" on passenger side. The square tube is larger there. Remember to use hardened steel bolts. Hope this helps.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
I have received and installed the new legs that Lippert so graciously sent us. I want to replace the broken gears in the broken leg to use as a spare but we're having trouble finding the proper gear. The 16 tooth gear on my Montana has a larger shaft than the gear initially sent by Lippert. I can probably have it machined to fit but some of you guys may know what company manfactures a leg with a larger diameter shaft 16 tooth gear. The side gear is the proper size, only having trouble with the bottom 16 tooth gear.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This link may help you.
I talked to Doug Olson V.P. Engineering of Venture Mfg. Co. Dayton, OH 45414 Ph: 937-233-8792 ext. 27 TF: 866-365-1957 ext. 27Fax: 937-233-8485. I found their name on the side of the motor/reduction gear for my front legs.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The gears in the jacks are powdered medal gears and not nearly as strong or wear resistant as cut gears but they are cheap.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Awhile back we popped a shear pin on the landing gear but one side would still raise. The other side wouldn't, though. I was able to put in a small bolt as a makeshift shear pin until I was able to find a more suitable bolt.

However, it seems that since these landing gear mechanisms can be damaged by over extending, there surely ought to be some built in protection against that. Depending on the operator to notice the paint on the leg is just not enough protection. Surely there's some kind of limit switch that could be designed into the mechanism to shut off power when the gear have reached full extension (or retraction, for that matter).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
When I torn down my landing gear, I found there is a flat washer that got so bent, it looks like a bowl. It appears there is some play in the shaft that lets it go up and down anout 1/4". I replaced the bent FLAT washer with a THICKER galvanized washer to make up the shaft play. THe tension pin was worn and bent also. These tension pins are 7/32" found at Fastenal or a auto parts store. You will have to cut the one under the turret gear. Before trying to place tension pins, taper one end more which will help with install. Drill a hole on the flat side of leg to help install pin using a drift pin and needle nose pliers. Before doing this, drive the shaft out and lube the screw gear. Before pull leg of unit, drill a hole at 5" and 11" to grease later with the spray litheum type. If you need help, let me know. I'd be happy to help you. Good luck.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Replaced mine with parts from Venture, to include a steel gear box to replace the plastic boxed that came with the unit. Recommend you check the alignment on the legs as well with a level. My jack gears were destroyed because the leg was bent. Not noticable till I put a level on it.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I had a very similar problem with a bent leg. Glen at Venture Mfg. gave me real good advice on the phone at the time. I ended up turning the leg 90*.

Removing the metal cap at the top of the leg, inside the propane compartment, place a small amount of 90wt gear lube in there. This really helped by improving the stress on the gears.

Good Luck!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Back in Oct 2011 I stripped the gears in the Drive leg on my 5er. Venture sent me a new leg for which I was very thankful. So I decided to rebuild the broken leg and after about 18 months I finally found that the leg was built by a company called Pacific Rim. They have no rebuild kits and the lady at Lippert said she had no phone number or address but had complete leg assemblies for sale at $294 each. I don't know how they could order assemblies with no address or phone number, but thought I'd ask you guys if any of you had ever dealt with this Pacific Rim company. I'll appreciate any info you might send my way. I'd sure like to find one of these 16 tooth gears with a 5/8ths center hole diameter. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Igot gears from Venture.

edit- read your below post. Sorry I can not help more.
Good luck and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Igot gears from Venture.
Yeah John, I got a set from Venture but the 16 tooth gear from Venture has a 1/2 inch centerhole diameter. The gear off mine has a 5/8ths hole and the gear is thicker.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Someone said: "Awhile back we popped a shear pin on the landing gear... I was able to put in a small bolt as a makeshift shear pin until I was able to find a more suitable bolt."

Please detail the suitable bolt
Grade and size.
I had one break off today.
Thanks
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote