Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
ACFD139
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20882
Wind/slide awnings

Help...We are having strong wind and gust
I have not experienced before, should or when do I bring my slides in.

ACFD139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We live in Naples Florida full time. Bring the awning in with any moderate wind, but the slides will be OK up to the point where the wind starts tilting the top of the slide in, But that's hurricane force winds. Yea we saw that with Irma.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I'd not bring them in unless they start lifting.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a strap of 1" webbing to throw over topper to stop flapping when wind get too high.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have been in winds that were actually pushing the slid in. Moved it about 3 inches. Because it was blowing strat against the side of the rig the tippers were ok. On my wind gauge and several others wind speed showed 65 to 70 depending on the location of the gauges. This was during a thunder storm.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
I have been in winds that were actually pushing the slid in. Moved it about 3 inches. Because it was blowing strat against the side of the rig the tippers were ok. On my wind gauge and several others wind speed showed 65 to 70 depending on the location of the gauges. This was during a thunder storm.
WoW! Never saw winds that high while in the 5er yet, or any I've had. I'm guessing hydraulic slides..
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our old rig we had winds of 60-70 push the top of the hydralic slide in a couple of inches at the top and we were hit broadside by a 90mph wind gust once. The rig was fine on the 90, and we had the tanks full which we do when tornatic winds are expected, but the gust was after the storm went by and the sun was up so we were shocked and I have no idea what the slides did. Even with tie downs I don't keep the awning out in winds higher than 20mph. On the old rig I wouldn't put them out even then, but we had to replace the old awning due to old age and hardly used it. These I'm going to use and replace them if necessary. Just don't leave them out and leave the rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yes hydraulic slides but like DQDick said it was the tops that moved in. We live in Lake Havasu City Az and in the summer it can get to 120 degrees. Not often but I have seen 126, mostly in the 110 to 115 for about 2 to 3 months. Soooo we have become sunbirds and leave during that time. We found a place 75 miles from the house it's called Hualapai (wall a pie) yes I know it's an Indian name. It's just out side of Kingman Az in the mountains at 6500 feet elevation. So it's 25 to 30 degrees cooler. That's the good news but the problem is the county park is in a little valley between the peeks of two mountains creating a Venturi effect. During the summer here in Az we have what's called the monsoon season that creates lots of thunderstorms. This Venturi does a great job of sucking the storms though our valley and we get some great storms. Lots of wind and rain.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote