Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Esnhoj02

M.O.C. #20249
New 2018 Montana 3791RD owner and new full time RVer

My wife and I just purchased our first home on wheels, a 2018 Montana 3791rd. This being our new home I really want to make sure I do this the best I can. So any advice or information would always be very much appreciated.
First, we have our orientation this Saturday so what would be some key points that I should be looking at? Also I would like to know what are the thoughts about the G rated tired that come on the camper?

Esnhoj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
If you haven't taken delivery, I strongly recommend you do a thorough PDI before you sign the acceptance documents. There are a handful of PDI forms on this and other RV forums. A thorough PDI should take about three hours and some dealerships don't like it when the buyer does one, but too bad, it's your money.

We had six major issues and 7 minor issues when we did ours, and accepted the rig only after the major issues and some of the minor issues were fixed. We were ready to walk but the dealership cooperated.

Need to know the brand of G-rated tires. If Sailuns, they're highly recommended and I've never seen a bad comment on them. I put them on my rig.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We always stay on dealer site for night or two until completely satisfied. Have never been refused. Most dealers have a few electrical hookups, for folks coming in for repairs who want to stay with their rigs. Do not pull off the dealer site until you are satisfied. If you know an experienced RVer, maybe they can participate in the walkthrough/PDI.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First, welcome to the forum! When you do the PDI remember that they are making a good deal of money and you are not inconveniencing them. Take your time, make them explain everything and let both you and your wife try each thing out. Some folks even video the PDI.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Welcome to the forum. When you are doing the walk through you with the dealer you will be bombarded with so much info it will be hard to remember all of it. If there is something you don't understand make sure they explain it until you do.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Great advice from everyone here. Just take your time and go as slow as you need too. Good luck and welcome to the MOC.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
IF they give you a quick PDI, don't let them do it. Make sure they go through the whole unit and explain EVERYTHING and if you have questions, stop them in the middle of their sentence and make them explain things if you don't understand. Also if you can video tape the whole PDI. You will never remember half of what they will be telling you or showing you and the video is a great reminder of what they have said and shown you. Don't just let the tech go through the unit and then the salesman take you back in the office to sign papers and etc. TAKE YOUR TIME ON THIS and make sure EVERYTHING works as it's suppose to. Make them hook up water, power to be able to run both A/Cs and everything else. If you are getting a residential refrig make sure it is running and cooling to your satisfaction. If you have an icemaker make sure they show you how to run it and where the water shutoff valve is at. Look for scratches, ding marks and anything that might not be correct for a new unit. Make sure all the lights, fans and water faucets are working. Take a flashlight with you to see in the dark area to see if there is anything wrong there also. A PDI should take you no less than 3 hours and possibly more. If you are taking it home that evening DON'T! Take it to a campground and do a pat down of the unit while not on the dealers lot. IF the dealer keeps it because you've found things to be fixed (and you should) go back and go through a PDI again because they can always fix something and mess something else up. THEN take it out to a campground and get used to it. Camp for at least a couple of days and make sure everything is working correctly and you have not found something else you missed in the PDI. Sounds like a strange thing to do but you have invested a lot of money in this home on wheels and you need to be satisfied with it, inside and out! There used to be several PDI checklists on this Forum but don't know if they are still here or not. If they are print out all of them and take them with you for your PDI. They are a lot of help! Good luck and let us know how things turn out! Oh ya, and HAPPY CAMPING!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote