Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Anode Rod

Took out the anode rod in our new to us '05 Mountaineer today and it was completely cover in what looks like calcium build up.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Yep, thats what the anode is for, taking all that crud out of your waterline. Hopefully this is not the first time the former owners replaced the anode, think the rule is change every few months.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ray,

My anode rod was almost completely disintegrated the first time I checked it. As I understand it that is what happens. Which reminds me it is time to check it again.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ray: First - I see you are new to the forum so Welcome!! Great group of people here who are very willing to help. Wish you great travels with your Mountaineer.

In answer to your question, the anode rod gives itself up to save your metal water tank liner. On mine, it normally wears away in two to three months (a summer usage) and I have to replace it annually. The softer metal on the outside of the rod binds with the various chemicals/minerals in the water and, in my case, drops to the bottom of the tank where it flushes out when I drain the tank. I also use a short wand to help the remaining grit out each fall (or anytime I remove the anode rod during the summer). What remains of the rod when it is done is a hard metal center that does nothing but hold the softer metal when new.

There is a 'kit' available to replace the anode rod with a drain plug. I strongly recommend against it. As I said above, the job of the anode rod is to bind with the chemicals/minerals in your tank -- changing it out (leaving it out) will greatly reduce the lifetime of your water heater.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't have any regular schedule at which I replace mine. I generally check it when I change filters on my input to the water system. We've been full timing for over seven years and I've never changed the anode rod any more often than once a year. A lot of people think you have to change it when it starts eroding. But that's what it's supposed to do. The anode rod is good until it gets down to where the rod is about 1/8" in diameter.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Me too!

I mean I replace my annually and it is covered with a calcium like build up.

Cheap and easy insurance.

I use my torque racketing wrench as the wrench to remove the annode rod cause of its long handle.

I love it when there is a mechanical thing I can actually do without help.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Normal, yes. Easy to change with the right tools, almost impossible without them. Get a socket to fit (1-1/16 on mine), a short extension, and a bar or ratchet, and some Teflon tape. The anode rod should cost about $10, give or take a couple. Get a Magnesium rod. There are cheaper zinc rods out there, but magnesium is better. Technically they are called "sacrificial anodes", meaning they sacrifice themselves to save your plumbing.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I took my anode rod in to get a replacement as mine was quit crusted and over a 1/4 eaten away. The parts people said to keep it until most of the inner iron rod is exposed and then get a new one. Told me it is working better in this condition and they were ment to be used until the rod is exposed, What say you.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Allen, the rod works till it is almost gone, don't worry about the crust on it. This is cause by electrolysis, The metal is eaten up by the movement of electrons which is excelerated by heating the water. The rod works till all the sacifical material is gone. That being said I don't wait till it is completely gone. If it is down to a 1/4 and I have it out, I chance it.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
OK, let me see if I'm right on this. The rod is 8" long but very crusty.
So, do I replace or not.

Again
Thanks All

Ray
Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Does any hardware store have these rods? Never had to replace one and the Hanna is new so I have not pulled it to drain yet.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackandh2o

So, do I replace or not.

Again
Thanks All

Ray
Ray,

No.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
What HamRad said ("No") - you are concerned with the diameter, not the length. Check it again after a few months of use (not much need if you are not using the WH). You'll see what we are all talking about. The diameter (thickness) of the rod will erode to practicly nothing and will still be "working". There are some pix of "used up" ones here:
http://search.express.ebay.com/Vehic...ies_RV-Trailer
-Camper-Parts-Accessories__W0QQBrand3d75b67ZSuburban891b9a32QQ_s opZ2
You're stick built home's WH may also have one - most folks don't know that, don't check it, and just wait to replace the "rusted out" WH (which could have been prevented).

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #14
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Never have seen one in a hardware store, only an RV joint. Pick up a couple. Cheap insurance.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #15
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Thanks all, went to the rv store yesterday and picked up a new one.
Once I saw what one SHOULD look like, mime was long due for a replacement.
Thanks all for the info.

Ray
Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine normally last close to a year, sometimes more, sometimes less. I check it about twice per year.

My dealer's service manager told me I change them more often than necessary. The core of the rod is a solid core on which is the sacrificial metals. When that core is about all that is left is when he said to replace it. I no longer replace mine just because it is worn or covered with crud. I brush off the crud best I can and put it back in. I replace the rod sooner than he said to but I wait until I see a bit of that core. Then I change it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #17
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
This kind of late from the original posting but I'm still getting caught up on all of the topics since joining. Our service mgr told me that when the rod is about the diameter of a pencil, to change it. There are replacement rods with a drain valve attached but I think only for certain types of water heaters. I had one on my CC but our Montana dealer did not have one in stock when we picked up our unit.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 AM   #18
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
We learned the "have a spare" lesson two RVs ago...I DO NOT like cold showers and we were in the mountains when this occurred. BRRR!!! Thankfully, Doug knew almost immediately what the problem was (his Dad owned a plumbing business so he has some "know how") so the only challenge was getting the replacement part.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We replace ours every spring when we do a "maintenance weekend". If you carry a spare parts box in your Montana, it's a good item to have as extra.

Doug
(as dictated to his wife 'cuz he can't type but with one finger and this post would have taken him an hour to produce!)

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Originally posted by jackandh2o

So, do I replace or not.

Again
Thanks All

Ray

What you see is normal.You need not replace it as long as it is not worn down to about, as someone mentioned, the size of a pencil.
Many of us ,myself included, will change them out on a yearly basis and keep one in the "spare Box" The cost around 10.00.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote