Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
inverter install

I believe I have the skills to install an inverter/charger. I just need to know more about inverters and montanas. So ... with my 2000 3280 I have a battery area in front compartment. I understand the inverter wants to be as close to the batteries as possible so it must go in the battery compartment. I get my gc batteries and hook them up to the inverter with correct size wires. Now I have (not yet) the inverter connected to the batteries and need to connect the AC. Do I have to run new wires to the converter/braker box? Can I use the converter to distribute the DC? That would mean I have to keep the charger in the converter running?
What I need is some help with the wire runs for the AC and DC.
Any advice?
Thanks Dennis

Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Dennis,

If you haven't already, I would suggest you start by reading through Jack Mayer's site (http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm) on RV Electrical and Solar System as it will cover the broad basics and many specifics of the electrical install options for inverters, chargers, and if you get to that point in the future, solar. It will give you a good basic understanding and then the site here can help with the specifics tied to your rig.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
On my solar install I used the the 12 volt side of the charger,converter box. I was able to cut power feeding the charger side of the box as I wanted to use the charger on my Magnum 3012 Hybrid inverter..
Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
Thats a good read .. thanks
Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
My inverter system is a little different than what you are asking about but I will try to answer this question for you. I installed my inverter in the battery compartment just above the batteries . I run 4 6 volt batteries my inverter is very large 1800 watt with a pass through switch built into it allowing electricity to go through it when I run my generator and back to inverter power when gen is turned off. The inverter I have allows me to hard wire it to the breaker panel and use the circuits I want power too. I have power to my bedroom and to my entertainment center so I can watch tv in my bed room or living area without use of my generator at nite. We dry camp all of the time so I really sat down and figured out what I wanted out of a inverter system. I bought my inverter at west marine because I know this is the type of system the run on boats. If you are just using the inverter system for a CPAP machine you could buy a smaller inverter big enough to run your machine and install it in the battery compartment and run a extension cord up to your machine without any problems you would need to go out of the coach to turn it off and on this way. Mine has a remote on off switch installed inside the coach. It is a very easy thing to install I had my whole system installed in a day the most time spent fishing hard wire in and out of the breaker compartment but it wasn't a hard thing to do. If you need any help working your way through this please PM me and I'll send you my number we can walk through your install and get you going.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. Put the inverter in the pass-thru area - While short battery cables are desirable, so too is keeping electronics away from battery gasses. By mounting the inverter on the wall of the pass-thru and drilling a hole through the (wood) wall for the battery cables, the inverter will be close to the batteries and protected from any corroding gasses.

2. What do you want to power from the inverter? Do you want to hot up just a few things (entertainment center, bedroom TV, or ??) or do you wish for every outlet to be available. Cabling will differ for these two desires. Once you know what you want to do, then we can help you figure out how to wire them up.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote