Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bish

Looking to purchase my first pistol for critter control and protection. Leaning toward either Browning Buckmark Standard URX or Smith & Wesson 22A Rimfire. Anyone have experience or comments on best choice?
Go with the Smith and Wesson in my opinion, but Browning makes a fine gun.
It would be nice to go to a range and shoot them both, don't know if they would allow that, but that would be my ideal comparison.
Good luck.
Oh, DON'T get the Taurus .22 Mag.....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #22
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Note there is also a minimum overall fireable length on longguns of 26".

I'm not sure a longgun is as good for personal defense as is assumed; longguns are not designed as close range weapons, relatively close distances usually involved, barrel length [easy to grab], recoil, experience with the weapon [think pump actions], follow on shots, and probably the size/features of an enclosed space. And remember many longguns have small magazine capacities, especially shotguns.

I have fired a 30-06 [M-1 Garand] from the hip, it's a really jarring experience. The recoil is rather hard to manage, and I saw it put a few folks on the ground.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #23
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
Just so everyone stays on the right side of the law here, sawed off shotguns are NOT legal in the US. You can however buy shotguns with barrels that are 18" in length, the minimum length allowed by law.
It was not a good use of the terminology and of course "sawed" off Shotguns are illegal in Canada as well, I use the term to refer to all short barreled shotguns. My son carries one when backpacking in bear country.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bish

Looking to purchase my first pistol for critter control and protection. Leaning toward either Browning Buckmark Standard URX or Smith & Wesson 22A Rimfire. Anyone have experience or comments on best choice?
Go with the Smith and Wesson in my opinion, but Browning makes a fine gun.
It would be nice to go to a range and shoot them both, don't know if they would allow that, but that would be my ideal comparison.
Good luck.
Oh, DON'T get the Taurus .22 Mag.....
There are ranges around that do just that - they will rent or in some cases, let you try different guns. When I was working, I had a few friends that between us, had a wide range of firearms. When someone expressed an interest in buying a gun but couldn't make up their minds, we would all get together provide the person with a range to make their choice from. For instance, I not only have Ruger and Browning .22's, I also have several different .45's. Another friend has a wide selection of large magnums, including .44's and even the .50 S&W. And we all have various 9mm's and 38's/357's, so we could pretty much offer whatever someone was interested in.

All the advice here has been on the mark. .22's are fun and cheap for plinking and small critters. Protection is a different matter. What is most important in personal protection is proficiency with the firearm - period. In other words, the ability to hit your attacker in a vital area while under duress. To this end, any caliber will work if you are good enough. After all, many assassinations have been made using .22 caliber handguns due to their ability to get the job done quietly. But to be good enough means practice, practice, practice. Next to ability, comes caliber, with bigger being better. People will argue caliber selection until they are blue in the face, but the two important things to remember is wound channel size and imparting the maximum amount of bullet energy inside the target. Two common rounds that perform this function well are the venerable .45 acp and the newer .40 S&W. I know this somewhat goes against my statement of bigger being better, with calibers like the 44mag and 50 caliber cannons, but we must also remain cognizant of the ability to control the firearm, and it's concealability. Even with .45's and .40's though, bullet selection is very important. The wrong bullet can pass through the target without expanding or imparting it's energy. So to maximize the caliber's effectiveness, choose a round that is designed for self defense. There are plenty on the market to choose from.

I also agree with the concept of a revolver being pretty much screw-up-proof for function - but - going back to what I stated above, practice makes for proficiency, and having more rounds available and far faster reloading ability makes revolvers my second choice over automatics.

I also subscribe to the short barrel shotgun concept if you don't plan on ever becoming good with a hand gun. Shotguns are intimidating and very effective at short range.

Lastly, I agree 100% with Ozz on staying from Taurus. Before someone pops up and tells me how great theirs is, let me say that I hang out on many gun boards, and my shooting experience goes back to the late 1950's. Beyond a doubt, I have seen and heard far more complaints about Taurus than all other brands put together. Stick to the big name brands like: Colt, H&K, Sig, S&W and Ruger, and even then, put a few thousand rounds through it to make sure it functions properly before betting your life on it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Ruger Mark11 Very Accurate and with ammo like the stinger will do serious harm to critters. If you need a hand gun for bigger critters get a bigger gun.it is not how large the caliber is it is where you put the round.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
If you get in my area of Morristoen, AZ give me a holler and I will let you test a Kimber Ultra Elite 45, Glock 26 sub-compact 9mm, a off brand 38 special snubbie, Smith & Wesson Model 28 357 MAG, Ruger MK1 bull barrel 22 or Ruger Single Six 22

This Officer stops a little old lady and when he approched the car he introduced himself and asked to see her drivers license. At this point he sees a gun laying on the passenger seat and asks her about it. She says it is her Colt 45. Thinking of his safety he asks, if she has any other firearms in the vehicle and she replies yes. I have a Glock in the door pocket a 38 in the glove compartment, another 38 under the front seat and a shotgun in the back seat. The Officer then asks. Mam, what are you afraid of??
and she replies
Not a darn thing
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
There are two revolvers made to take care of the critters and the bad guy. The Judge made by Taurus can be loaded with two types of ammo. It will shoot the 45 Long Colt round or a .410 shotgun round. The Governor made by Smith & Wesson can be loaded with three types of ammo. It will shoot the 45 Long Colt, .410 shotgun round or the .45ACP round. The guns are not legal in California because the .410 round is also a long gun round and the Judge and the Governor are short barreled revolvers.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
A long gun can also be purchased in 45 long colt.

That's how much California knows.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Chip, You are right. I am in California and have several rifles in handgun calibers. Winchester 94 in 45LC, Winchester 73 in 44-40, Henry in 45LC. Bounty Bill - S.A.S.S # 17765.
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

A long gun can also be purchased in 45 long colt.

That's how much California knows.
I suspect the issue in California is it being a shotgun round. That used to be an issue Federally until Thompson Center forced the Fed's hands with the 45/410 barrel for their Contender line of pistols. The feds backed down but not all states did.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The problem we have with large caliber hand guns in a Rv is we don't mind doing in the bad guy but would also like to not harm the couple of campers beside us.Some of those large caliber hand guns will penetrate the bad guy as well as a couple of other campers. We prefer the trusty 45 cal as it packs a punch amd will usually be confined to the bad guy.We do have a Remimgton 870 short barrel and we keep low power shot shells for it.We just want to stop the bad guy not blow up the campground.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Mossberg and Remmington both have nice 12ga pumps with 18" barrels for about $300.
If your eyes are fading a bit with age (from personal experience) I would look for a pistol that has night sights available. And most do now.
Some gun shop/ranges have many different choices available to rent.
And for those that prefer hollow points (like myself) be aware that some states, ie New Jersey do not allow you to possess them.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #33
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
As a former police firearms instructor I along with the other instructors in this forum could talk for hours on what's the best gun and the best ammo to use for each situation that may arise. A lot of suggestions of buying a 357 mag has been made and the reasons are all correct. I am not going to say don't buy a 357 mag because I have a Ruger Speed 6 357 mag and I love it. If you do decide to get a 357 mag please go with brand name and then buy a set of large rubber grips and replace them with the wooden grips the gun comes with. These grips will absorb some of the recoil you will receive especially between the thumb and index finger of your shooting hand.You can go online with Ebay and get the grips you want at a reasonable price.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #34
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
As a side note on carrying a pistol, this is for you Dodge owners only: I just found out about a compartment directly under the steering wheel. It is the panel under the wheel, if you pull down on it it opens up a great place to conceal a weapon in your vehicle. I just bought a small soft zipper case and my .38 Ruger SP101 fits perfect and won't get scratched up. If someone breaks into your vehicle, they will probably not find the pistol. I don't know if other brand trucks have this compartment but I am glad my Dodge does.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #35
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just my 2 cents. any gun will do for protection. as for critters just a .22 is fine. you are rving, what critter do you run into anyway????
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #36
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
X2
Use something reliable and easy to use. A .38 Smith and Wesson revolver comes to mind.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I have no personal experience with either model but both make good pistols. For protection I would like something with a little larger caliber though
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Georgeguy, my old Silverado has a nice compartment in the center console underneath right next to my right hand.......my shooting hand.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Hear is a good article for those looking to buy

http://www.usacarry.com/what-gun-to-..._source=normal
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #39
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
"Georgeguy, my old Silverado has a nice compartment in the center console underneath right next to my right hand.......my shooting hand."

I agree,,,, and I keep one in the door pocket too just in case I am in the middle of adjusting the radio lol lol....But now I do gotta go check my Dodge for that other compartment..
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #40
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Excellent article! My EDC is a S&W M&P 9mm. Easy to carry and accurate. No jams. Great pistol. Highly recommended. You can get the ammo just about anywhere. Good luck on your choice.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Hear is a good article for those looking to buy

http://www.usacarry.com/what-gun-to-..._source=normal
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote