Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
rhidalgo
Established Member

M.O.C. #11656
Hitch security from thieft

Trying to find a way to lock my hitch to the truck and don't seem to find anything with the "just right" factor. How do you guys secure your hitch to your truck?

rhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't and probably should find some way to create some security. On my hitch there are "holes" where cable locks or other types of locks can be placed.

My reluctance is the number of fastening locks I would have to use means I could have as many as six locks since I have a two piece hitch. There are four locations at each leg of the base, one location where the two pieces meet and one at the pin release handle. I could use only one or two locks but my feeling is that the areas without the locks would be "attacked".

I will probably put a lock at the pin release handle since this handle is the easiest to be messed with and it seems even in this forum this has happened by pranksters who think it's funny to see a fifth wheel become disconnected from the hitch. To date, I have added a check to ensure the handle is engaged after a rest or fuel stop and we have left the rig for some time, but one of these days I just might forget and you know that's when I'll become a victim.

I'm curious what others will post, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Reese makes my hitch and also makes some pin keepers that you can put a lock through. I bought some padlocks keyed the same and put them on the pins and the release handle. Here's a link to them at etrailer: http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58093.html
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
rhidalgo
Established Member

M.O.C. #11656
That's it. Just Right!! I knew you were out there just didn't know you name. Thanks a bunch.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Reese makes my hitch and also makes some pin keepers that you can put a lock through. I bought some padlocks keyed the same and put them on the pins and the release handle. Here's a link to them at etrailer: http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58093.html
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Dick, mine are just right, thanks. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
just drill two of the keeper pins that holds the 5th wheel to the bed rails.... Happy Trails.......

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Is hitch security a significant concern? I do not fault the idea of being careful, but in 30 years of camping in an RV I never heard of a fifthwheel hitch being stolen or tampered with in the truck. I am not casting stones, but wondered if it becoming an issue in some places.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had the hitch pin locks on my Reese when we had the 1 ton.

I don't think it as much a concern for a stolen hitch as it is for pranksters who walk by, and say, "Watch this!" Then pull the key lock while the others in the group chuckle. Not knowing that they have just created an incident that can take lives. I locked ours for the piece of mind it gave me.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I know there are folks out there that would take anything that isn't "nailed" down but like Kyle and Bev I've never known anyone who had a problem with someone stealing a hitch. As a matter of fact I don't think I ever heard of anyone having such a problem. Of course there is always a chance of someone taking it. But if they want something bad enough they'll figure a way to get it. I think I'll spend my time and money worrying about something else. But each to his own. Happy Trails, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I don't worry about someone taking the 5th wheel hitch. But the worry should be when your not at the Truck and some low life pulls the pins and you don't check before moving, can you see the 5er with 5th wheel hitch attached setting on the pavement and of course your tail gate will be destroyed. To each his own.. Happy Trails......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree wihh Delaine and Lindy. If I was worried about somebody stealing my hitch I would go find my house keys.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What got me interested in doing something about it was a long thread on the Escapees forum. A couple of folks had had at least one of their pins pulled, one at a truck stop and the other when their truck had to be parked in overflow parking at a CG. I think there were other stories too, but those two I specifically remember and discovered that it didn't cost much to take care of the issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Have B&W Companion hitch and pass a 2" log chain through the floor loops and then Master Lock the chain to the closing handle which keeps it secure to the Monty for both bottom and top portions of the hitch when towing and hitch secure when not towing. Also, we try to remember to check for vandalism when returning to truck when towing.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I have had pins stolen not once but twice. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #15
rhidalgo
Established Member

M.O.C. #11656
Thanks to all who replied. The likelyhood of it being stolen is as some of you say probably very low, however, there seems to an abnormal amount of stand alone hitches in the local classieds??? Am I just paranoid? Could be. Hearing your stories of missing pins on the other hand really reaffirms my desire to lock her down. Either done maliciously or mischeviously that could ruin your whole day!

Thanks again Dick. My pin lock plates are on order.

Raymond
Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good source. Thanks!!

Quote:

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Each person will make his/her own choice on this but having been a victim of crime, I'm less inclined now to take chances where safety/security is concerned. I'm not so much worried about someone stealing the hitch as I am about vandalism.

Quote:

What got me interested in doing something about it was a long thread on the Escapees forum. A couple of folks had had at least one of their pins pulled, one at a truck stop and the other when their truck had to be parked in overflow parking at a CG. I think there were other stories too, but those two I specifically remember and discovered that it didn't cost much to take care of the issue.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #18
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I would think most thieves would want to steal something light and easy to carry. Maybe break a side window and steal something out of your truck. I don't want to carry my hitch even with help.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
To a thief it is not how much it weighs, but how much can they get for it. I good hitch costs upwards to $1500 so to them, it a $500 sale item. Now they are not going to just walk out of the park with it, but they'll probably have a vehicle within a couple RV lengths and off they go.

As I stated in my earlier post, I would not be as concerned about it being stolen as I would about some IDIOT walking by and saying, "Watch this!" (Redneck expression which means "watch out.")

Also, someone pointed out about pulling away and leaving your RV nose on the ground, plus ruining your tail gate and possibly body:

So, also lock the king pin release handle. That's what the holes are for, and don't just lock it with a clip - use a padlock. That is another one of those walk by "Watch this," items.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I also agree Delaine Lindy.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote