Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Good Sam's Customer Service Road Asst.

In the last few months we have had numerous breakdowns with our TV. Though we can appreciate the road side service and the $$ it has saved us we have experienced unknowledgeable dispatch personel. You can not get through to them! They ask the same questions over and over and you spell and spell your name, the city you are in, and they put you on hold and when they come back it starts all over again and again and again.

The first time this occured we thought ok it happens. Today we sat in the center of 4 lanes of traffic camper in tow and the person asked us 20 x how to spell our name and the city we where broke down in. We where on a major 4 lane highway in a beach resort in front of an Outlet shopping center and after 20 min. we where no further with a dispatch recker than when we first called.

Finally the police officer who was directing traffic said he was calling for a tow truck. Good sams let me know i could pay him and submit for possible repayment. No gaurantees of reimbursment. I finally got the name and number of the tow service in route. Called back Good Sams and they ok'd the tow. This all took 45 min. It was like talking to Forest Gump. They just could not get it together. Not sure they ever found the city or state we where stranded in or of any tow company in the area. If we had not found our own tow company I think we would still be sitting there.

Has anyone had similar issues with them? We have had them for years and never had to use thier services. Seriously considering switching to Triple A because this is frustrating at a time when your at your wits end to start. Good Sams would have failed us today if we had not been able to acquire on our own a tow company.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I suggest that you contact Good Sams customer service and explain what happened to you. Based on my experience, what happened to you is the exception rather than the rule. Others will relate their experiences. I have had nothing but GOOD experiences with Good Sams road service. Glad you were able to finally work things out.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We have used them several times over the past 6 years since we've been members. There was one time I couldn't get any satisfaction and I had to call a wrecker on my own. I simply paid that and then submitted it to my insurance co. for reimbursment. Overall they have been very reliable. The first question they ask is "are you in a safe place?" Then there is insttructions stating to call 911 if you are in an unsafe situation. I imagine they have paid more tow bills than I have premiums. Wouldn't want to be on the road without them.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I just signed up with Coachnet based on reading a whole lot of comments on here and on the open roads forum over the last couple years. Actually I have read only a few complaints about Good Sam ERS. But nothing bad about Coachnet. That is what I based my decision on. Have not used them yet, so remains to be seen.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Forget about AAA! I learned the hard way. When I broke down and was finally transfered to their RV division I told them I had a truck and a 5th wheel. Their response was.."oh, you have 5 wheels?" Four hours, two tow trucks and $1,000 later....
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Update..... Our broke down truck and Monty was towed to my sister's beach house 5 miles from where we broke down. (Thank god for family)!! Called Good Sams this am to see about towing the truck to be repaired and again 40 min phone call 2 dispatchers later finally got all the paper work done and truck was transported to the shop. I have no issues with the tow company once they where dispatched. Could not be beat... It just is dealing with the 45 min. conversation with "Forest Gump" who can not seem to find a state or city where you are at. When your sitting in traffic zooming around you 45 min. does not cut it! Today was not such a big deal because we where sitting in my sisters yard but again the same issue.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Our experience with Good Sam ERS has been excellent every time we have called for service- We have been onboard for more than 20 years and will continue to use the service until we no longer have faith in their ability to render good service and customer skills- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have had very good luck with Good Sam ERS. I'm so sorry this happened to you. It must have been very frustrating. Glad you are safe and sound now.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've had AAA for well over the time we've been RVing and have used them with our RV probably at least 10 times. Always got good to excellent service. Only time we had a problem was while broke down in a forested CG. They would have provided a "low boy" type trailer to haul our 5th wheel I would not let them load the trailer onto it. There was too big a risk of roof damage with the trailer sitting on another trailer. Finally got that worked out by having a fellow that was delivering a 5th wheel in the area. Through all of this AAA helped work out any and all problems.

We will continue using them until the service they provide no longer works for us. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote