Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
ANOTHER LEAKER

While wintering in Brownsville, Tx. this winter and when taking a shower one morning my neighbor came over and said there was water runnig from the bottom of the trl. After pulling the bottom liner I discovered that the gray tank had a small crack by the outlet pipe.
I have since fixed it with a "Radiator Repair" kit from O'Reilly Auto and so far it is holding. Will know more after our 4,000 mile trip this summer.
We have a "04" 2980RL and I feel it is not the lack of support straps that cause the problem but the rigidity of the PVC pipes from the smaller drain and vent pipes to the larger dicharge pipe. I belive that any frame twist you may get on the trl. will put a strain were any pipe is connected to the tank. Needless to say something has to give and the tank will lose everytime. I am going to add a rubber sleeve to all the pipes to allow a little "give" in the installations.
The bottom of out tanks have four convex ridges in a "Sunbust" design to add strength, so I am wondering where you could add support straps to this area without using some kind of shims to relieve pressure in these areas. I have read threads on using carpet lined straps, but to me would only add to pressure on the bottom of the tank were these ridges are located.
These are my thoughts and I am sure many of you have different ideas on what is the best way to fix what seems a "NEVER ENDING" problem with a Keystone installation.
Between "LEAKING TANKS & BAD DECALS" one wonders where the Keystone mangement has their heads. It seems strange that a manufacture of their size can not address what seems to be two ongoing problems.

Al Olson aka; Kountry Traveler

kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Totally agree Al. Though I wish it was just those two issues. Add the barely adequate axles, barely adequate wheels that crack, cheap tires, and other issues we've had. We used to really like the Monty. Not sure what is better, but we're looking.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You can always check out the "Mobile Suites" line. I saw one on sale - marked down from $199,000 to $169,000. What a deal I thought......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

You can always check out the "Mobile Suites" line. I saw one on sale - marked down from $199,000 to $169,000. What a deal I thought......
Does that come with a Gold plated payment book.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I heard these units have many of the same problems as ours. Also heavier and probably needing an MDT
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We know some folks with Mobile Suites and Select Suites, they have had problems with their windows fogging up, cheap Mission tires, stabilizer legs, etc... so we all will have some problem or another. We all would prefer to not have a problem, but they are rolling down the highway
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Our good friends have had a Mobile Suites for about five years. Lots more money then a Montana but a very nice 5er. He has had problems with his Mobile Suites but I would not say any more or less then other trailers or other Montana trailers. He has taken it back to the factory a few times (out of warranty) and they have taken care of every issue. For the cost, I will stay with Montana.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And it is not just 5er's that have problems.

Don't ask me how I know?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Hey Everyone:
When I wrote the thread on leaking tanks I was just trying to address what seems to be an ongoing problem and was hoping for some input on a possible preventive solution to what has happened to many Montana owners.
We love our unit and think it has a great floor plan. My other choice would be a 3400RL with one more slide and a bit longer. We looked at many brands and felt you get more for your dollar in a Montana then most other brands.
I know that they all have their problems but my point was that Keystone does not seem to address repeated ongoing problems. I have been vey forunate that we have not had a problem with the graphics but when I read about units that are 2 years old and having a problem it seems they do not react to this or other repeated problems as quickly as they should.
I am not in the market to spend $160,000 for a unit that would not serve me any better then the one we have now. We love our unit and I was only trying to address a problem.
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well, I don't know much but I think you are doing the right things Kountry traveler. Again, not as experienced with this problem I think you are doing the things others have done. Yup, a couple of others seemingly went off topic, but if you think about it I think what we're agreeing on is that you are doing the right things, Montys aren't the only rigs with problems, but as least there's a forum where we can try and help each other out.

When I need to get up under to check my rig, I'll be looking at connectors, flexibility, insulation, plumbing, sensors and bracing. We can't afford to trade out rigs so we'll try to make the best of this one. So far, in spite of the seemingly continuous things to address, we're happy with it, especially when our visitors love it and compliment it, too. I'll be using the information you and others have provided to remedy whatever I might need. Without the forum I would have been a lot more lost.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Al I as many on here have braced the bottom of mine 3or4 yrs ago also put rubber nohub bands on the inlets to let them flex. I have had no more problems [knock on wood]. I had one replaced and one I took out and repaired the inlet where my dealer had removed the wrong tank and tryed to put it back with very little glue and it leaked. Out of warranty.
Phil I have a friend that has a MS and he pulls it with a 95 7.3 F350. He lives in Ala pulls it to pigeon forge Tn summer and to south of tampa in the winter. I could not believe it!!! You never know.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Yes my grey tank is leaking also when full. I noticed it first last Oct. I was very happy it wasn't the black tank (knock on wood) untill I have time to fix it I'll just try not to have it get full. I'm also waiting for someone to write the best way to remove it. I see a lot of things to remove under there to get the tank out.So I will wait for now. Any suggestion will be great.thanks Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote