Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Dual Mass Flywheels

Anyone else have a problem with the dual mass flywheel on their 2005 or newer dodge 1-ton? My 2006 just hit 80,000 and the flywheel failed. Suprisingly when we pulled it off the clutch was in great condition.

I am now converting over to a solid flywheel. When I walked itno the parts place the old man at the counter said "you got a dodge eh." He then explained to me he wouldn't sell me a dual mass as a replacement because they constantly fail for no reason. I checked with another industrial clutch part supplier here in Oklahoma City who said the same thing.

Anyone else had a problem with this?

Phil the Okie Guy

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Phil what is a dual mass flywheel?
Thanks Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The dual mass flywheel is a fancy name for a slip clutch between the crankshaft mounting and the flywheel. The object is to reduces the shock pulses between the engine and the drive train. My 2002 Dodge 1500 has on and I never liked it because when pulling a heavy load (not an overload) it makes the truck shake when pulling away from a stop. I now have 180,000 miles on the truck and haven’t had to replace it. I have worked on similar arrangements used between industrial diesel engines and reduction gear boxes that don’t have any clutch to disconnect the gearbox from the engine during start and stop. The heavy units used on the industrial application don’t give a lot of trouble, however the people that have removed or locked them so they didn’t work on the industrial application have severely damaged the gear box.

I would recommend having a good look at the loads you are imposing on the vehicle. After the first time I felt the shake in my truck I ask questions about it and I got the answer I put at the beginning of this post. Ever since learning about this unit I have been very careful not to overload the truck.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Well it has been almost three months since I replaced the flywheel and clutch. I am now convinced the flywheel was messed up when I purchased the truck. The vibration my truck has had since I drove it off the lot is completely gone. I have always been a stickler about not overloading the truck. It pulls very smooth now. The parts guy was right. I will never have another dual mass in my life.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Dual mass flywheels fail quite often. They also don't like it if you add a little more power. At close to 100hp increase they can slip in 5th gear just by stepping on the go pedal.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote