Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Noise from main slide

We have a 2006 2955RL. On retracting the slides recently, I noticed a thimping sound from the slide area. It does it on extension and retraction, now, and I need to know how to access the underpanel to take a look. Sounds like something's loose in there.

Should I attempt a repair, or leave it to the pros? It's in the single digits here in Colorado now, so it will probably have to wait for warmer weather, anyway, but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but search returned little info.
Thanks

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hydraulics should not make that noise, it is possible something is catching or binding.
I would wait for good weather, take a look under there, if it is obvious, you can probably fix it, if not go to step two and have a dealer look at it. Take pictures if you can't figure it out and let us look at it.
Good luck with it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the quick reply, Ozz. The part of the gear I can see looks fine, in fact I just greased it before our trip to Quartzsite. Is there a panel under the floor that I can access to check where the rails run under the floor?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I suppose you checked the gears(gear packs) that run on the rack gears? Sounds to me like a bad or broken tooth on one of those gears.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Willie, I just gave them a casual check. Thanks for the tip, I'll check more closely. When I looked, they looked almost indestructable, but you never know.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To peek into the belly remove a few of the screws in the bellypan and pull it down best you can. Sometimes that can be difficult if you need access to where a propane black pipe comes through the pan and runs very close to it. Or other obstacles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

To peek into the belly remove a few of the screws in the bellypan and pull it down best you can. Sometimes that can be difficult if you need access to where a propane black pipe comes through the pan and runs very close to it. Or other obstacles.
This raises a question with me; do the Montana's have several panels underneath, or one long piece? The Moutaineer has one piece of corrugated ABS sheeting. I've dropped it on both ends. On the rear, I had to cut it all the way across the back, as it is tucked up under the rear wall. Booger Bear to say the least.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Will:
The newer Montanas have a 2 piece underbelly. One goes from the front to about the entry steps. The other from the entry steps to the rear cap. If you drop the rear jack assy and remove the screws from the rear cap holding the corrugated plastic, you don't have to cut the corrugated plastic as it just tucks up over the bottom lip of the rear cap. There's not much to see as far as the slide rails inside the main frame. They're basically just guide channels for the 2 rails that have the teeth pointing downward. What you do see is painful to view ... hydraulic lines and wiring hap-hazardly strung with little to no support or padding on sharp edges the lines lay against. I've spent several hours rerouting, securing, and installing lengths of split hose over sharp edges that come in contact with the hyd lines and elect lines.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
And the older ones, like our 2007 and our 2003 and 2001 Montanas have 3 or 4 sections.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

And the older ones, like our 2007 and our 2003 and 2001 Montanas have 3 or 4 sections.
I thought I had looked at a 2955 that had multiple panels. Seems it might be a 2003 model. Wish ours had that, instead of the single sheet.