Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
Roller shade install

I just ordered an exterior roller shade for the rear window but will have to do the install myself. It will require drilling pilot holes for 4 (I assume self tappers) screws in the rear cap just above and to the side of the main window. The screws are for the two brackets that hold the roller. Question is, does anyone know for sure if there are any wires running through this area? I don't know how the wire runs are done in the trailer, from the roof down or the floor up. On the inside back wall we do have an outlet on each side and outside on top are the rear clearance lights.

Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm thinking the window is framed out with aluminum tubing. Shouldn't the screws be in the tubing for strength? If so, there should not be any wire in the framing. Perhaps someone that has installed an outside shade will chime in.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
On my 07 3400 I didn't encounter any wiring, also where it mounted there wasn't a frame so I used the pop rivets supplied with the shade.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The clearance light wiring it more to the outer edge and top where the rear cap creates a large cavity. You should be find around the window. Even if you encountered teh 12v were, its just flopping around inside that large space with some insulation so I don't think you would hurt it with a drill bit.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
when I installed mine I didnt hit any wires I think that most run along the top and down the sides.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've installed two Carefree Sunshades over the rear windows of two different fivers. As mentioned above, the wires run along the top of the rear cap beneath and slightly behind the clearance lights and down one or both sides inline with the tail lights. Per instructions there is a determined measurement off centerline of the window for the end brackets depending upon the length of the roller shade. This measurement usually isn't inline with any framework. The fastners supplied in my kits were 1/4" aluminum pop rivets with flat washers that go inbetween the bracket and rear cap. Be sure and place a little RTV or dum dum around the drilled holes per instructions. I never had any issues with them pulling loose.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
Ok, thanks everybody. Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems. Y'all have a great day.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote