Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Transfer switch for generator and inverter

Here's a link for those of you who are interested in a transfer switch for the generator, power cord and inverter, or just the inverter and power cord, or power cord and generator. I'm getting dizzy here......
This is the right way to do the wiring for your safety in a larger system.
I know many of you have a smaller inverter that you use with a cord and that works great.
The transfer switch lets you power the entire panel, so you can pick and choose which circuits you want energized, using breakers to isolate the circuits.
I would suggest an electrician for the install unless you are a handy electrically minded person.
This Iota is a little different than mine, but I really like it.
You can see mine installed with pictures of the 3,000 watt inverter on Ozz's mods. (I only have 2 G.C. batteries, as I don't plan on being off the grid for long.) 4 would be ideal if you boondock, along with a generator and solar cells.
I think Robbie has a 'boondock system' that is nicely set up. (Among others I am sure.)
You can click to see the wiring diagram and other information on the enclosed links.
Transfer switch:
http://www.iotaengineering.com/its50r.htm
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Thanks for that link, OZZ. It just so happens I am in the market for a transfer switch and it looks like a good one. I will have to check out prices.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote