Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
Sandi
Established Member

M.O.C. #4207
Mice!

We have a 2005 3295rk and from the first summer we got it we have had problems with mice getting in! Bob has gone under the unit and sealed any and all gaps that he could find. Last year we emptied the front outside storage compartment and I climbed in and closed the door to see any openings there by the light coming in. We were getting at least one mouse a day at that point. Found several small gaps and corrected them. Now the inside has also been a real problem. In the rear compartment where the water heater is, under the sink and in all the peninsula drawers, in the water pump compartment we have caught mice! Bob ended up cutting through the floor under the sink to seal off the 2" holes where a 1/4" pipe came through. We spent the last 3 months in Florida and just returned a week ago. Went out to check things out and low and behold there was insulation in the drawer of the cupboard between the stove and fridge, this is the first one in one of the slides. Caught the little booger last night! Anybody have any more suggestions?

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Contrary to the advice of many folks we sealed , caulked, taped every gap we could find in the 3400 inside and out and there were/are many. You could get a squirrel up through the gaps around the shackles and rear stabilizers.Thus far we have had no intrusions by any type of critter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have been very successful for years placing Bounty dryer sheets in the unit when stored - on the floor, inside basements, inside cabinets, etc. It keeps mice out and smells good too.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
When we have the rig stored, we put rat poison on the tile in the kitchen and the bath - the little buggers eat the poison and then go out the way they came in looking for water and die outside - that and the Bounce sheets seem to work so far - we do have a cat, so have to be very sure we get all the poison up before we let him in the rig even tho he is smart enough not to eat it himself!

S
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Sandi, we pretty much do the same as boylanag except we use moth balls instead of the dryer sheets. The dryer sheets probably SMELL better, but when we open up after winter storage, it airs out in about an hour. By the time I get the dewinterizing done, no oder left and never had any rodents! I put an open box of them little balls right inside the door and in the basement, this practice has worked successfully since we started trailer camping back in the 70's. Have also done the same with the outdoor shed, 8 years old and no mice!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Too early to tell for us yet, as we haven't had mice in this unit, but we have two sonar thingys we will try, one on the main floor and one in the basement.

On our old unit we did the steel wool thing. We will do the same to this one. I did try Decon on the last unit, and all they did was carry it around and hide it in the belly. Popped down the belly one day to work on it and it rained a pile of Decon. We stopped using it as I was afraid they would attack the plumbing looking for water.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I use steel wool, Bounce and moth balls. I also put some moth balls around anything outside that touches the ground...landing gear and tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We had a couple of mice that found a way in our 3670. Made a mess of everything. The only place I could find was around the inside of the basement storage doors. There was a gap that went down into the exterior aluminum wrap around that attaches to the frame. Sealed it with spray foam. Trying to seal the "belly" underneath is quite a chore as the hydraulic cylinders have big holes where they go through the frame, on ours anyhow. But from what I can see under there they shouldn't be able to get in the trailer from the belly. Also sealed all the holes in the floor where the pipes go through. Hope this helps.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The part of the world I live in is not real prone to mice problems but I have seen these little transmitters they sell that are supposed to keep mice out. That is what I would try first. Do they work?
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
Sandi
Established Member

M.O.C. #4207
Thank you all for the suggestions! Brad & Bert, what is the "steel wool thing"? We will do the dryer sheets inside and the mothballs outside and see how that works. Our problem here is that it is not really solving the issue, but if we can keep them out then that is what we will do.
Bob & Sandi Eddy
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob and Sandi,

Steel wool can be used to fill the holes around pipes, etc. The mice can't chew the steel wool. There is also another product specifically for that that I think uses spun copper.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50

Sandi: Try the transmitters, I use them in my barn and they work great. Always had a terrible problem with mice, while I was in a feed and grain store I asked the manager how they controlled the mice in his store (you can imagine the problem they had with tons of storage of feed)He showed me two transmitters plug into receptacles at two locations in the store. Since then he has no more problems. They were so bad in his store that the drop ceiling was collapsing from becoming soggy from the mice's urine.
The only problem I have in using them in my trailer is that I have no external electrical hook up, bought the battery units but they only had a shelf life of about 3/4 days on batteries.Got to expensive for battery replacement. Will run external power to the trailer this spring. I've tried every possible suggestion mentioned aboved and found my best possible line of defense was setting traps. It is a weekly routine of emptying and resetting the traps, but at least I know I got them.
Good luck on the hunt. Jon

Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have found Dryer sheets and moth balls DO NOT WORK!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Wondering star,

What brand of transmitters do you and the feed store manager use? Please share the name brand and model.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I bought the "Pestchaser" at the local ranch store. They must work, as we have no mice yet and the Pestchasers are still in the back seat of my truck!

Mine have cords, and are recommended for placement at no less than 2' off the floor and no more than 5'. Counter should be about right.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #16
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Fire5er, will take a walk down to the trailer tomorrow and get you the information on make and model. Purchased them at a Blue Seal Feed and Grain store.
Jon
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #17
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I used to have a terrible problem with mice in my old trailer. It sat all winter at the CG I'm a seasonal at. I tried everything, to no avail. They even had birdseed up in the bedroom ceiling...LOL Someone told me about bounce fabric sheets, and once I started using that, I stopped having problems. I can't stand the smell of moth balls, so I avoid using them. I hate closing for the season up there in the fall, because so many people use the moth balls outside under their trailers, the air reeks of it. I prefer the Bounce, it smells nice.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #18
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Fire5er: Sorry I took so long to reply to your request.
The name of the transmitters is Pest a Cator. it sends a pulse through your existing wiring to annoy the rodents and make them leave. Don,t know if it will work for you but it did solve the problem in my barn.
Can be reach at: 1 800 338 5028, or www.global-instruments.com

Jon
Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow, thanks Jon. That's a totally different approach (vs sonic). Do you use them in your Monty?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #20
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks Jon!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote