Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
hoto

M.O.C. #6225
mission tires

Anyone that has info on these tires please let me know Cannot find dealer or anyone who has them.

hoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had them on a Keystone Sprinter-Junk.
BUT, I have new ones on my Monte, so far very good-(Knock on wood.)
I think the new ones are OK.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
hoto,

The stateside distributor for the Mission tires is Tireco. Website is www.tireco.com. Phone number is 800-227-8925.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The new ones on the Montanas are supposed to be better than the old ones...no trouble with mine yet.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I have them on my 2006 and so far so good but only have about 4500 miles on them.I am a big believer in tire pressure so I keep a close watch on that and do have to add air to all of them for some reason.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The new improved version seems to be doing okay, however, they are STILL Mission tires, they are STILL rated ST, they are STILL junk IMHO, and they are STILL on my Montana . Another downside to them is the fact that dealers are impossible to find. Blow one on the road, and you will be buying an alternative, rather than getting a new one under warranty. I for one, will be getting rid of them as soon as I can.
This is just my opinion, and everyone has to make their own choices, so...................do what you feel comfortable with.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Texdeano, I just came back from a tour of the International Harvester plant over by Springfield Oh and we also had a seminar on tires. According to my material the average tire, no matter the manufacturer will lose approx 2 psi a month unless it is filled with Nitrogen.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We had Missions on our 2004 Mountaineer TT (ST225/75R15). The first one failed at approx. 9000 miles in AUG 05. Complete tire failure, only thing left was the sidewalls. Fortunately, damage to the rig was not too bad and after changing the tire, we were able to continue on our way. In addition, I never lost control of the rig even though I was on the freeway at a speed of 55-60 MPH. What a way to start a vacation.

I had already filed a claim with TIRECO for this failure when 700 miles later the second and then third tire failed. This time we caught it before complete failure. The tread had begun to separate from the carcass and you could see metal strands from the belts protruding from the tires. After these failures I found the nearest LES Schwab tire center (of course we were on another trip) and had five new tires mounted. And YES, the tires were properly inflated and NO, the rig was not overloaded.

Although I will never own Mission tires again I can say that TIRECO did right by me. After I contacted them and found out what their claim procedures were, they paid to have the rig repaired and reimbursed me for the five new tires, less the mounting and balancing costs. It took longer than I thought it should to get the claim settled but other than that, I was satisfied.

Jack
Old 11-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interestingly, we've had no mention of problems with Mission tires in this forum. I think one person had one blow but that's it. I've had many, many problems with the Goodyear Marathon trailer tires and others have had trouble with the Michelin tires and other brands. But not the Mission tires. So far. My Montana has Mission tires. They look to be good tires with excellent ratings. The ST designation means they're designed for trailer use so I take that to be a good thing, although I'm not an expert by any stretch. I'll keep these Missions until they prove to me they're not going to do the job without problems. If they fail that test they'll be replaced. We've put only 1,431 miles on these tires plus the 700 for delivery from factory to dealer. So it's too early to tell how they're doing but they look good so far. They have higher weight ratings than any other load range E tire I've ever used.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Steve,
I seem to recall discussions previously on this forum regarding Mission Tires. I can't recall the exact nature, but I guess that every tire manufacturer could and will have problems with any of the thousands and thousands of products they have on the road.

Jack
Old 11-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jack, we've had several discussions, mostly asking this same question about whether they are any good. I only recall one problem among all those discussions. But I've been wrong before, will be wrong again, and may be wrong on this one. I watched them pretty closely, knowing we'd probably someday buy a new Montana and it might have the Missions. We did and we do. Now I'm hoping they truly are good tires. I'm very glad they're not the Goodyear Marathons. I had way too many problems with those. I hope I didn't just jinx my luck with the missions!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, My useless two cents....I've found the tire thing can be driven by our use of our RV. I have had a number of trailers and those that had tire failures seemed to be mystical events but now reflecting on them it seems those events are related to UVR...."ultra violet radiation". My last experience I hit a violent transition upon entering a bridge cross-over, blacktop to concert bridge....boom! Lost curb side rear tire. On inspection I found it had really bad weather checking which I know was not present when I began my trip. This meant the rubber had lost elasticity, likely from exposure to excessive sunlight, which my trailer has this exposure to curbside. I now have two tire covers for this, the curbside tires when I park at the stick house. The otherside of my RV is big time shaded...and hence I have developed this conclusion which was founded on the surving curb side tire having lots of weather checking post "thump on highway" that was not there when I started my trip. The non-curb side tires had no evidence of cracking.... I have some experience as a "tire guy" (1970's) but no current feeling of where the various brands are ranked.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
hoto

M.O.C. #6225
Thanks for all the input. I have contacted Tireco and they are sending me a new tire, they were very responsive to the problem. Apparentley there were problems with the smaller sizes in this tire but not in the 16 in. Hopefully no one will experiance any serious problems in the futre with their tires. TRAVEL SAFE. HOTO
hoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #14
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
I have a 2001 3670 with MICHELIN EPS all steel radials on they have 48000 miles on. Very good tire.

Jars
Richard E. Smith
jars is offline   Reply With Quote