Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
screw head coming up under vinyl flooring

On my 2003 315RLS Montana Mountaineer travel trailer, The screw/bolt head is starting to raise the vinyl floor covering. I estimate it has raised the vinyl 1/8+ inch so far. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it? Mine is toward the center of the kitchen area so I can not get to it from the edge by taking up some vinyl flooring. My thoughts are to cut a 'X' directly over the screw head, remove the screw, patch the hole and glue the vinly back down. Thus leaving an nice 'X' cut in the flooring.

Thanks

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Az

shehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like a good fox, Don. Country Guy had this problem just this month, I think. You might do a search under 'bolt' or something similar or write to Carol personally. They fixed their problem and would be glad to share the solution.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Goes to show the problem isn't just under the carpeting, as has been discussed before. http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~15576.asp

If it's at all possible to pry the vinyl up, it'd save having to know there's an "X" cut in your floor...Even though very few people will ever notice. That same method was discussed when dealing with the screws loosening under carpeting.

Good luck. Let us know what you do to fix it.

FYI. No one is certain what those screws do. I had a four-inch machine bolt come up under my 2004's carpet. Factory guys took it out, left it out, and I never thought to ask if anything was now loose under the flooring. Others who had smaller screws loosening up could probably count themselves lucky because they were probably just holding the flooring panels down to sub flooring, and not supporting something under the floor.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Our screw is still in the floor. John Bozarth had a go round with it yesterday when he visited, bless his soul, he just hated hearing that we still could feel it when we walked around. SO, he spent a half hour on his tummy with a variety of tools and found that he could not get it out of the floor either, WITHOUT removing the carpet. So, he screwed it back down in, and he managed, somehow, with a lot of sweat and I am sure with a sore arm to get it down into the wood floor a bit further than Al did, and wowie, right at the moment, we cannot feel it when we walk in there.

I think if you were good with carpet, you could take it up around the edges, and get to that screw and do something to it.

Under the vinyl flooring, I think I might get a floor guy in, from the local floor coverings store. They can put sealer on that xxxx cut if that is what you have to do to get it out. Ya gotta figure if it is up that far on your floor, it is gonna pop through.

Let us know what you do to fix it
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
There is a Cougar TT in our caming group who had the same problem, screw/bolt coming up under the vinyl floor covering. They took their TT to the dealer, the first time they pulled the vinyl back and tighten the screw, the second time they removed the belly cover, found the end of the screw, tacked a welding rod to it and tighned it. Then they tack it in place with the weld. On my Mountaineer TT 315rls, I removed the belly cover, tighten the screw and I will place some gorilla glue around the end of the screw. I hope this works as I don't want to cut the vinyl. Job completed.

Thanks for all your help.

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Az
shehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to the screw/bolt up through the vinyl/carpet club.Membership is on tne increase.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Took ours, 2006 3400, into the dealer and they replaced the vinyl in our kitchen. I am not sure if it was a loose screw or if it was one that wasn't screwed all the way in.

I had ours fixed as I was afraid that it would wear through or raise up the vinyl at some point.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote