Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 04:46 AM   #1
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Moving Slides

We are having a problem with our slides wandering out while we are traveling down the road. Now they only come out about 1/2" to 2" and mostly it is the bedroom slide and once in a while the curb side slide. I think the problem is the hyd. oil is bleeding back to the tank.
I had it in at the dealers and they had it for two weeks and they could not get it fixed. Now it will be November intil it can be fixed.
But all in all we are still very happy with our Montana
Mel

melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Suggest going to "MEMBERS", look up MIMF and contact him! He will be able to help you, we are sure!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Thanks guys
I am sure Keystone has a fix for this but we will not have time to get it in until November. as we have to many places we need to be between now and then.
Mel

Old 09-05-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mel, MIMF might be able to help you over the phone! He has helped some others. I would imagine he is out camping for the holiday weekend.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
CountryGuy, you are absolutely correct! Mrs. Brubaker and I were camping this weekend. It was great! However, it is Monday afternoon and we came home awhile ago to get caught up on some chores around here before the grind starts tomorrow.

How is the Elkhart County Fair Grounds treating you folks?

Mel & Joy,

I am betting that you have a hydraulic cylinder that has an internal leak. That is, the fluid under pressure inside the cylinder is leaking passed the seal around the piston and allows the pressurised fluid to relax. This then, due to the weight of the room and the rocking motion of the coach going down the road simply compounds the issue.

I'm not sure how many rooms your floor plan has but, here is something for you to try. At least until you can get your coach to a repair facility. When you bring in your rooms, close the IRC Valves all of the way shut just finger tight. This will help block the flow of oil to keep the rooms in as you travel down the road. However, remember to open those valves BEFORE you operate the pump to move them out.

When you do take your coach in for repair, have the Service Manager call me before he starts working on your unit. It will not cost you a thing to get this fixed. Or if you are going thru Northern Indiana in the near future, call me and we can get your coach in the bay for a couple hours and have it working like it is supposed to.

If you have any questions, please call me at your convenience at the office. 866-524-7821 extension 4245 or 574-537-8900 same extension.

Have a goob day!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Thanks for the help. I have closed the valves and it did not help, in fact we only had the problem on the bedroom slide up until when I closed the valves drove down I-5 for 200 miles then the curb entry side slide was out about 2". I pulled in the slides for the next day and did not close the valves and just the bedroom slide moved. then the next day all three slides, then just the bedroom, you can see where I am going nothing is ever the same. I am a Marine Engineer and am not ignorant about Hydraulic systems but I am not sure on what stops the oil from comming back through the supply hose if the problem is not a piston seal. I will gladly let some one else take care of this
Agian thank you
Mel

I had to add that I am very impressed that there still people like you. There damm few of us left
Mel
Old 09-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We had a problem much like you are describing. It turned out to be air in the system. Make sure that the hyd tank has enough oil in it. Then run the slides in and out a couple of times individually and then the same with all of them functioning. I thought the service manager at out dealer was nuts but I tried it and they no longer come out when traveling. I still am not sure where the air came from but the bubbles were there.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, we had the pleasure of meeting MIMF in Goshen a few months ago. He is a great resource for this forum and very willing to help out, not to mention he's a very nice guy. I'd bet if you call him he can talk you through troubleshooting and finding the problem and can ship you the parts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:01 AM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Mel and Joy,

I think I talked to a dealer yesterday about your coach. When you get it back to him, we are are going to make sure that air is not the problem. If your pump in your coach has the Haldex pump and the fluid level is close to 1/2 full when the rooms are in, that may be the problem. Due to where the suction tube is located inside that reservoir, it may be that when your rooms are in the final stages of sealing in the out position, it may be sucking air.

If that is the case, with the rooms all retracted and sealed, add enough ATF Dexron III or Mercon to the reservoir to bring the level up to 1/2" from the top of the tank. If when you are now operating your rooms in and out, you are seeing a layer of pink foam on top of the fluid, that is exactly what is. Air getting in the system. Once you increase the fluid level, do exactly what tollmann did.

If you have any more questions, contact me.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
This is a timely subject for us and, at the risk of highjacking this thread, we'd like to ask how we go about getting a slide fixed that is leaking hydraulic fluid? Do we need to return to a Montana dealer? We are in Prince George, British Columbia.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Dale,
First of all, I want to thank you for jumping in and giving us a hand with this problem. Mel is now back out to sea and won't be home for 2 weeks, but I will be talking with him most every day, (cell phones, aren't they just a wonder).

Anyway I think Mel did give the dealer (Brad) your # in hopes he could be more comprehensive with the workings of the problem and it sounds like he did give you a call. Did he tell you they switched out the pump? Well they did and still no change, if anything it got worse.

Sooo..., I'll take a look at the tank tomorrow, and check the oil level with the slides in and out both. Let's hope it's just that simple. I'll let you know. Thanks again Dale, and also thank you everyone else.

Joy
Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
melnjoy,

That's right! I do remember Brad telling me they swapped the pump. For sure now, there is air in the system. But, that doesn't mean there isn't a bad cylinder somewhere on the coach and we are going to have to test to see which one it is. It will take sometime to find it but, find it we will!

Have Mel or Brad keep me posted.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #13
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

melnjoy,

That's right! I do remember Brad telling me they swapped the pump. For sure now, there is air in the system. But, that doesn't mean there isn't a bad cylinder somewhere on the coach and we are going to have to test to see which one it is. It will take sometime to find it but, find it we will!

Have Mel or Brad keep me posted.
Dale,
Well the fluid levels look to be fine, I opened and closed all the slides several times and no foam. Hopefully it will stay together at least until after mid November, as we are not going to miss our very first MOC rally in Oct and then we are visiting our folks in AZ, so we won't be back home until then!

I guess I'll have to call Brad in the morning and let him know where we are with the levels and see what he wants to do? Wish me luck, (I just hate it when Mel's out to sea)! Hey, thanks again.

Joy
Old 09-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Well, Melv is still out to sea, so I am doing as much as I can to figure this out. Our Service Rep (Brad), had me close all the slides and then shut all the valves on the pump, and then open only 1 at a time and bring the side in and out several times to make doubly sure that all of any, possible air would be gone from the lines. I did as asked, and there was no foam of any kind anywhere in the tank that I could see.

However, a couple of problems did show up;

1.) Every time I opened either the bedroom or the main slide (mind you 2 of the 3 others were shut off at each given time), the 3rd slide would also try and open immediatly after the one I was opening opened. The 3rd slide would kind of like break away 2-3" at the bottom, and I would have to go and open the valve again to get it back in, I was scarred to death the darn thing was going to break!

2.) When I stopped doing all of the testing, I opened all the valves and closed up all of the slides. Two hours later, I went outside and sure enough the bedroom slide was out at the bottom again, wide enough for me to get two finger side by side through the opening at the seal. So, I'm thinking we are back at square one?

I have made an appt. for the "Recall" work to be done and have the brakes checked on Fri. the 23rd, (that's the day Melv comes home), but we are also leaving for minden on sunday the 25th and nothing is going to stop us from going short of an actual emergency. If I have to wrap DUCT TAPE around the monty to get it there I will!!! Boy, MIMF if you happen to read this, I just hope another possible solution comes to mind. Wish us luck as the sagga continues.

Joy
Old 09-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
So Joy if we see a "silver" Montana coming down the road, we will know it is you. Hope you get it fixed. I like your determination. When we were up North and I was living in the fifth wheel, Ed would travel back to our home here in Hemet about every two weeks. He would stay for a week. Everytime something went wrong (with our previous 5er), it was when Ed was gone. Got to be funny after a while.
Happy trails........................silver streak
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:33 PM   #16
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
melnjoy,

I am positive it is one of two things or both. Air locked in the system or a defective cylinder that is not keeping the fluid blocked behind the piston seal inside the cylinder tube.

We will find the solution to this at the latest at the Rally.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hey, Joy. We worked with MIMF in Goshen last Spring. He is persistent and he will get this figured out for you. Just a tip, he really, really likes red velvet cake!

Sue, I like that silver Montana quip!

You folks all hurry up and get here to Minden!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hey Joy, when you bake the red velvet cake you will need a tester. I volunteer.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hey, Sue, it was MY suggestion! You'll have to get in line! OK, I'll be a gentleman. We'll share.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I thought red velvet cake was a southern thang (no, that's not misspelled!) Sorry to hear that we've let such important info get out of the South.

We've been talking with MIMF about our leaking slide. Guess we'll just have a slide repair party when we're in Minden. We're sure glad that he'll be there.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote