Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #21
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Tom, Just the fact there is rust particles in the pump is all Ford requires for a dealership to deny a warranty claim. The fuel in the tank may be good fuel, the damage is a slow progression of the filter passing water that is normally found in diesel. Some fuel additives will cause the water to be in suspension, pass the filter, rather than being caught in it.

It is common knowledge the Ford filter system will pass water. The dealership's have a multi page tech bulletin they have to follow when water damage is suspected. Link provided for your reading pleasure.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...el-job-aid.pdf

The owner can piss and moan all they want. Ford does not care. Just spend some time on a Ford forum. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...issues-360113/

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
A lot of the reason for the costly repair is because they have to lift the cab off the frame to be able to work on it. Actually, my bill was over $12.000. I have had an ongoing problem with my separator and Ford knew that. It said I had water in my fuel but after draining it many times,about three gallons of diesel fuel in my barn, from the many times I had to drain it, I never got a drop of water out. Their separators are defective. There never was any water in my fuel. And to respond to the original post, there is not a large gas engine available for pickups anymore. So we're stuck with diesels now. The Ford V 10 is only available in the bigger chassis cabs according to my info.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 AM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Tom, Just the fact there is rust particles in the pump is all Ford requires for a dealership to deny a warranty claim. The fuel in the tank may be good fuel, the damage is a slow progression of the filter passing water that is normally found in diesel. Some fuel additives will cause the water to be in suspension, pass the filter, rather than being caught in it.

It is common knowledge the Ford filter system will pass water. The dealership's have a multi page tech bulletin they have to follow when water damage is suspected. Link provided for your reading pleasure.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...el-job-aid.pdf

The owner can piss and moan all they want. Ford does not care. Just spend some time on a Ford forum. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...issues-360113/

Jim
Good reading! From their own literature:

"If metal debris is found in the HP fuel system, the next step is to check for the presence of contaminated fuel. Fuel contamination is the most common cause of metal debris in the HP fuel system."

Any good lawyer (or even a crappy one) would tear that apart. "Most common" doesn't fly unless they can prove the contaminates didn't come from the fuel system itself. Nevertheless, all Ford owners should take note of this and invest in a good aftermarket filtration system that also separates out water. It might also be worth investing in a lift pump if the stock fuel pump can't handle the strain of the extra filtering.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Actually what you are saying sounds good except that if you modify anything you will void your warranty. Ford also said if my fuel was contaminated they would void my entire warranty. In order for them to determine if the pump is contaminated they have to disassemble it and it cannot be reassembled. You have to buy a new one. Insert hook in mouth and yank.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #25
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

Actually what you are saying sounds good except that if you modify anything you will void your warranty. Ford also said if my fuel was contaminated they would void my entire warranty. In order for them to determine if the pump is contaminated they have to disassemble it and it cannot be reassembled. You have to buy a new one. Insert hook in mouth and yank.
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act the company has to prove any modification you did caused the problem. With tuners, that's not hard to do, but with extra filtration and/or water separators, they'd be laughed out of the courtroom. As for the contamination, I understand their position, but they would have to prove to me (or my legal representative if it got that far) that the fuel was contaminated and thus caused the problem. If they can prove that, then you have grounds to go back to the place you got the fuel and make it their problem.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #26
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Tom, being a retired Retail Dealership Parts and Service Director, you got it backwards as it works in the real world. I know what the M/M Act says, but....

The Factory says NO. Now the owner has to prove it. Most owners do not have the funds or time to fight.

If my Service Rep or Zone Manager said no, I was done, I passed on to the customer their fone numbers and parked the vehicle out back. I never saw them change their minds.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #27
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I hope by now,everyone is made aware of Ford's warranty policy! 'nuff said!
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #28
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
double post, sorry
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote