Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Montana on youtube

I just saw a Montana stuck on a winding road, it had gone through a low underpass and had the a/c ripped off and then got stuck going around a sharp corner. A helpful 4x4 and a few guys helped get it unstuck and around the sharp turn, not sure what happened as he descended the rest of the mountain. Hope everything turned out ok.

kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe that may have been the Needles Highway near Custer South Dakota.

Unless there is one I have not seen yet. Entirely possible. SIGH.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
That video has been around awhile. It's a great example of the importance of knowing the height of your trailer and paying attention to road signs.
That's a pickle I hope to never be in the middle of.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I love my new Rand RV GPS. It gives me almost 100% confidence I won't some to a low bridge on my routes. I still check in my Trucker's Atlas the next days planned route just to make sure.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
That almost happened to us! Days after picking up the 3850FL we decided to leave the rural CG in Virginia we had been staying in and go to Hilton Head Island. We were following our Garmin's directions. Unfortunately I forgot to change from "car" to "truck". We turned down a road in this little town and found a RR overpass right in front of us! I ended up opening the passenger door of our truck and standing up looking at the 3850's roof while we inched under the overpass. We had a line of cars behind us and a sheriff coming the other way who just came on driving through and ignored the whole spectacle.

We made it through without a scratch but it was close. I immediately reprogrammed the Garmin's for "truck"
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Tjscience
Established Member

M.O.C. #14101
We just had a scary one yesterday...Only been pulling our rig for about 195 miles. Two stops under our belts, and... We drove right past the entrance because GPS told me campground was 7 miles further. After a few hundred yards, we realized we were not headed the right way. Couldn't find turn around. Winding roads, getting worse. Crossing long two lane bridge with a line of 6 or 7 angry parade followers behind me and right ahead - biggest nightmare - what looks like another bridge with no height marker, but it does not look high enough!!!
I stop on two lane bridge. Everyone stops behind me. I get out talk to guy behind me, I don't think I can make it under. I don't know height. I need 13 feet! I tell him I'll look for on coming traffic to stop them so he can pass. More cars are now coming behind us to join the stopped parade.
Luckily, a truck comes from other direction I watch as it passes under overpass without hitting. I watch it pass the Montie, it's same height! We are ok! I get in and make it through!!!! Ugh! I never want to deal with that again!
Tjscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
S-T-R-E-S-S

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

I love my new Rand RV GPS. It gives me almost 100% confidence I won't some to a low bridge on my routes. I still check in my Trucker's Atlas the next days planned route just to make sure.
Yes, but more than once I found bridges in upstate NY, that were only 14ft in the middle. That will get your attention when you roll up on it, and are 13.9! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote