Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
jjparker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6196
Send a message via AIM to jjparker Send a message via MSN to jjparker Send a message via Yahoo to jjparker
Smoothing the Ride on Concrete Highways

I have wondered about the grooves across the joints of concrete highways. They seem to make the ride smoother and reduce joint noise. There are two sets of three right where the tires travel most for a total of six in each lane. I found the answer at the following: http://www.cement.org/pavements/pv_c...ways.asp<br />

They are burying steel bars across the joints. These connect the concrete slabs to make it feel like a continuous highway instead of bumping from slab to slab.

“Another relatively new technique that promises to improve highway smoothness and longevity is dowel retrofitting of existing concrete pavement that has undowelled slab joints. Since 1980, the slab joints of most new concrete highway pavements in areas where heavy loading is anticipated have been dowelled with 18 in. (46 cm) long smooth steel bars. The dowels bridge the joint sawed between the pavement slabs and help transfer traffic loads from one concrete slab to the next. The new retrofitting technique involves cutting slots across the pavement joints, inserting the bars, patching the slots with fast-track concrete mixes, and then diamond-grinding the road to obtain a smooth surface. Department of Transportation officials in Washington—the first state to undertake dowel retrofitting on a large scale—expect to extend the life of some of the state's 30-year-old concrete highways by 10 to 15 years using the new technique.”

P.S. Riding across "fast-track concrete" patches before they "diamond-grind" them makes for a really bumpy ride. We found out on I-15 is south Utah. We followed the truckers running with one wheel on the shoulder to miss the patches.

jjparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wow! That has got to be everything you ever wanted to know about concrete highways. Thanks, that was very interesting and informative.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Wonder if that is what they are doing to I15 north of Salt lake City where there are raised concrete patches in the travel lanes that seem to be unnecessary bumps. Maybe they will mill them down.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Looking at your avatar, are the roads so bad, you need life preservers in case you get bounced into a body of water? Should we be more concerned about this? LOL... Just kidding... You both look like you are having so much fun doing something exciting!

Jjparker, Thanks for posting that .... It was an interesting read for sure. Here, in California I wish these roads could be repaired more often and I still wonder where the higher fuel taxes and road funds are going. Sounds like the techniques are there, now we wait for CalTrans to use them.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Why is it some concrete roads are sooo much smoother than others? A friend who is an inspector told me it is sloppy workmanship and he doesn't allow it on his projects- Just a thought for y'all to consider- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They rebuilt a 30 mile stretch of local main highway just a few years ago. Completely removed the old, laid a new base, and all concrete multiple lanes. Very smooth at all speeds. EXCEPT, for one stretch of about a mile and a half. That one stretch was somehow laid in a very slightly different way. At 70 or just a little above, my truck hits a harmonic that causes it to buck very hard. Starts as soon as I hit that part, and ends as soon as I pass it. Drop below 70 and it stops. Our Expedition does not do it at all. Something about the wheelbase and the pattern in the concrete I guess.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote