Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Best of full timing tips.

OK, it official, we will be fulltiming as of August 1st, what's your best advise?

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
That should be advice, getting old perhaps?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don't hurry, no need for vacation mode. Weekly and monthly rates might be your newest bestest friend.

Be safe, be careful, have a great time!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Agree with Carol... Slow down.. It gets old really quick if you have to hitch up every day so stay awhile and see the areas around you on day trips in the truck. We like about 200 mile trips and then several days parked..If we are just staying overnight, we just stay hooked up and walk where we are going. Usually, that is just around the campground.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Take it easy- There is so much to see and do in our great country- You can not possibly see and do it all so take it slow and easy- One day at a time- We have stopped at a new campground after towing for only an hour because of some attraction or view- Have visited some areas more than once and will again if the opportunity arises- We've been "On the road again" for 11 plus years and still have places to go and see- Welcome to the brotherhood!!!! Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don't push it, stop and smell the roses. 200-300 miles a day was our max. Always have an alternate plan also. We usually liked Sundays as our travel day as not much traffic. Get yourself a Truckers Atlas so you can determine which roads to travel. Watch your heights when travelling back roads. Take lots of pictures and try and keep a journal of where you have been, it helps after a while to look back and see where you have been. Most of all, enjoy our great country......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
This is an amazing country and the diversity is unbelievable every time I think what we are seeing has to be the best , the next stop is gorgeous as well....

Heed the advice to relax and remember you are not on vacation...we went full time a year ago and it took me about six months to stop getting up at 5 am and to lose my watch!!!!! LOL

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Adopt the 250-300 and 3:00 PM rule. That's drive no more than 250-300 miles or stop at 3:00 PM which ever comes first. It Gives you time to set up the rig and tour a bit before evening sets in. We add to that by adopting the "never more than two towing days in a row" rule. Keeping fresh and rested is important to safe travel and good decision making.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Great advice, I do have work commitments for a few more years so traveling will be limited, seems to be a consensus about taking it easy?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
"Taking it slow and easy" is a learning curve after being controlled by the calendar and clock for most of your life. I am not talking about being lazy. It is just realizing that those constraints don't apply any more. I am so busy being retired, I don't know how I had time to work.

An additional thought, after 5 years of Full timing, we still use check lists. At first, we used them to remember what to do. Now we just do our routine and check the lists to be sure we didn't overlook something, like bringing down the antenna, etc.

I try to avoid being in a rush when getting ready to leave. I do some of the breaking camp things the evening before traveling the next day. I empty the tanks and stow the waste discharge hoses. I crank down the antenna on going to bed. Sometimes I disconnect the water and run off the fresh water tank the next morning. Just little things to simplify hooking up and leaving. If all you have to do is pull in the slides, hook up the truck, and disconnect the electricity, getting away is fairly quick.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've been retired for 5 years but in a stickhouse. While not a full time RVer much of this advice still applies. I don't use my watch much unless I have to visit others who aren't retired and rely on time commitments.

The only thing you might want to consider is a "day clock" because both me and DW lose track of what day it is:

http://dayclocks.com/

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As others noted, take it slow. At first you'll think spending several days in one area is "slow." After awhile it will be a week, then two weeks, then a month, maybe even longer in some places. You'll find out you enjoy exploring the area you are in, doing your outings during the week and letting the tourists have it on the weekends. Driving/towing slower and doing fewer miles in a day. Take US and state highways as much as you can. Much more enjoyable and relaxing. We tend to pull out of a park about 9 to 10 am and stop for the day between 1 and 3 with a stop for lunch in some scenic pullout or roadside park, or even a small town's city park.

There are many here with more experience at this than our 8+ years but I'm sure each and every one of us are willing to answer any questions or concerns you have. Either click the email link above one of our posts or post in MOC. There are as many different "fulltiming styles" as there are fulltimers and we're all willing to help.

One other thing... when we first started fulltiming, every park we stopped in had to be a very nice park if at all possible. Since then we've discovered that when we're enroute somewhere and just stopping overnight, we often get set up, have dinner, watch tv, go to bed, get up the next day and head out. Maybe we don't even unhitch. So why do we need to pay for a park with a lot of amenities we won't use? And why do we care if it's a "beautiful" park? If it's clean and safe and the power and water are good, we're good for an overnight stay. For longer stays we revert to wanting something nicer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote