Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Power Input Location - Move???

I know there was a topic in here once (can't find it now) about the location of the power input to the Montanas. Mine is on the rear of the rig and it is a pain in the butt.

Most campgrounds have some sort of cluster with sewer, power, and water near each other. Many times I find myself struggling for a location compromise on a site because I will either need a sewer extension or a power extension. Life would be much easier if the power came in at the convenience center.

My question is this... Has anybody ever moved the connection to the convenience center? The power in my rig goes from all the way in the rear, to all the way up to the front where my transfer box is located.
It must run right by the convenience center and it seems it would be a snap to relocate it.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
I moved the location of mine to the basement at convenience center, actually added a second location. not hard with the 3400RL, line from rear is accessible under steps to bedroom. call me if I can help.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I moved mine to just aft of the big slide for same issue.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I added a power inlet to the front of my trailer and now have a choice of where I can hook up. The factory probably won't locate the power inlet in the connivance center due to safety issues, water and electric don't mix well.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Like Don, I added a connection on the old 3400 at the front of the rig. Simple installation if you have an auto-transfer switch, on that rig the switch was in the battery compartment. As always, the hardest part was cutting the hole in the rig for the pricey receptacle, I used a Marinco.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I agree about putting the thing 'in' the convenience center. I was being lazy typing. I meant in that area though. After reading these comments I like the idea of putting it in the front. and leaving the existing connection alone.

It would be nice to have the option of going to either end. Lots of times my position is driven more by trees/slides/shade issues and I'd like to be able to make those decisions without having to also worry about the AC connection.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rollie41

I moved the location of mine to the basement at convenience center, actually added a second location. not hard with the 3400RL, line from rear is accessible under steps to bedroom. call me if I can help.
Do you have any photos of your installation?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Paul,
I mounted my plug-in autoformer in the front of my 3400, opposite side from battery. Pulled the panel feed (in conduit)back thru the cargo area and wired in a receptacle for the autoformer. Then put a plug on the end of a piece of 6-4 and re-fed the panel by plugging into the autoformer. Easy enough to add an additonal twist-lock feed on the outside front of the rig and feed a seperate receptacle next to the one coming from the rear of the coach. Then . . . plug the autoformer into whichever receptacle is "hot" depending on whether you are hooked up to rear or front of coach.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote