Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Check your Sales Receipt

This was passewd on to me.....
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT

BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT.
PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES.

It happened at Wal-Mart (Supercenter Store #1279,
10411 N Freeway 45, Houston , TX 77037 a month ago.

I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn'trequest a cash back & to delete it.

She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor.

Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.

So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything!

The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it.

The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. (yeah, right!)

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning.

Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My coworker went to Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt.

She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My coworker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My coworker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this.

This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards! This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this....My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury and paying with a credit card. When my husband went to sign the credit card signer, he just happened to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it.
We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one???? Or anyone......

Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Sorry Greg, but this is another false rumor. One problem is the cashier doesn't even have to the capability to request cash back. Check http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp for more information.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Cashiers can request cash back from their terminals! I'm not sure what kind of website that snopes is, but it is mistaken. The customer always has to confirm the total by pressing yes or no, but the cashier has the option to add the cashback request from their end prior to the confirmation by the customer. If the customer doesn't pay attention and just quickly hits yes this could really happen. Whether or not all the Wal-Mart stories listed are true or not I don't know. But the original poster's words of warning to be cautious shold be heeded.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks Carl. I suspected that it was a "Urban Legend" even before I finished reading it. As a matter of course, I always check Snopes and Symantec http://www.symantec.com/business/sec...sks/hoaxes.jsp before sending these friendly warnings along.
Greg ... no offense intended. Your heart was in the right place.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Sorry Greg, but this is another false rumor. One problem is the cashier doesn't even have to the capability to request cash back. Check http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp for more information.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Whether a cashier can or cannot initiate "cash back," the poster's comment to check your receipt is valid. When we were last at our seasonal site, we purchased some materials to build a deck off our Montana. When all of the items had been checked by the cashier, I thought the total was HIGH. When I went over the receipt with the cashier, I discovered many items had been over listed (more of each item then I had actually purchase). The overage was nearly $1,000! SO YES, CHECK THOSE RECEIPTS.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael and Camilla,
$1000!? Yeah I think I'd notice that amount! Did I understand you correctly that the person just tacked on extra amounts to various products? Or was there just and extra false charge of $1000?

Bottom line is always to check the receipt! Nothing wrong with that advice. Thanks, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Another source is: Truth Or Fiction
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Michael and Camilla,
$1000!? Yeah I think I'd notice that amount! Did I understand you correctly that the person just tacked on extra amounts to various products? Or was there just and extra false charge of $1000?

Bottom line is always to check the receipt! Nothing wrong with that advice. Thanks, Dennis
Every item that we purchased was "overlisted:" for example when we actually purchased 10 of something the receipt would show more than ten. With all of the things we needed to build the deck, it did not take much of this "creative" accounting to add up.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
I run the Meat Department at SAMS CLUB and my wife runs the Accounting Office, there is no capability for the cashier to select cash back for the customer. A word to the wise at any store if you do select a cash back, don't get in a rush and forget to get your cash back! It is wise to check your receipt for over rings and such, easier and faster than making a trip back later.
eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Camilla and Michael,
Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation. Pretty sneaky. I wonder how he got the money out without management knowing if everything showed up on receipt info. I'm a little slow when it comes to that sort of thing. Color me confused and naive! Anyway you look at it the customer gets the short end. Glad you caught 'em!

And thanks again for clarification.

Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Camilla and Michael,
Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation. Pretty sneaky. I wonder how he got the money out without management knowing if everything showed up on receipt info. I'm a little slow when it comes to that sort of thing. Color me confused and naive! Anyway you look at it the customer gets the short end. Glad you caught 'em!

And thanks again for clarification.

Later, Dennis
I want to give the cashier the benefit of the doubt, but I can't help but wonder if she thought she would be able to put one over on this "old geezer?"